Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: My New Surtees Takes Shape

Re: My New Surtees Takes Shape

Nice to see that you're out and about ML. Boat looks really good.

Your seat mounts sound like a typical Kiwi approach - simple and effective. Mine are Oz made and have springs and levers up the gazoo just to get the same result.

Everything on the Surtees has been very well built to the same KISS rule. Pity we seem to have lost the plot a bit over this side of the pond. These are fishing boats.

I looked long and hard to find an affordable alternative made in Oz - and couldn't.

Cheers,

Hi Kings

Here's a shot of the electronics setup as described earlier.

The GPS is set on a RAM bracket and can be swung around, height and angles adjusted quite easily. It can also be very simply removed by unplugging and undoing the RAM bracket - one large wing nut style nut you unscrew in the centre and all that's left on the dash is the small balljoint.

The sounder and VHF can also be swung away behing the dash, as the panel they are mounted on is hinged. Also, it can be easily removed in one piece so if the boat has to be left in a carpark etc you can quickly and easily remove all the really expensive electronics and store them somewhere more secure.

Hope it helps.

Cheers

ML

congrats on the boat mate, but gees that looks just like my 560c barcrusher?

Quote Originally Posted by tsunami crusher View Post
    congrats on the boat mate, but gees that looks just like my 560c barcrusher?
    Exactly right TC - your boat is a NZ designed Surtees (with minor local changes).

All the early Barcrushers were built in NZ, imported to OZ and sold by here by a Vic based company.

ML's boat is called a Surtees Workmate 5.5. The larger Surtees boats of this same design are still called Surtees Barcrushers in NZ.

http://www.marinews.com/details.php?recordid=263

Cheers,

Hi Tsumani

As RJ said, Surtees ARE the originals!

So actually, it would be more accurate to say that your BC looks just like our Surtees'

When you look closer the Surtees are quite different in many ways to your boat, with Surtees having continued the development of the boats from the hull up. But as RJ has said, the one diffeence that stands out most is quality of workmanship - in particular the welding is the best I have seen on any alloy boat.

Surtees offer the added advantage of being happy to supply the boats in a full range of fitout standard from "el basico" with basically just an empty hull right up to fully fitted out and optioned up pretty much like I ordered mine. They will also make some custom changes to suit you, within limits of course!

They do all the work on the boat in-house - metal work, fitout and upholstery all within their premises and quality control systems, the only exception being painting and they have a long established business partner who does that. Not too may plate boat builders in Aust who can claim that (actually, are there any at all????). Even the trailers are built to their design and standards.

Cheers

ML

Live bair tank, transom door, a hell or alot better trailer, decent seat swivels, hella lighting, yes they both have options to close off the ballast. Decent size fuel tank. Circuit breaker on the dual batteries. stress free anchor winch ready, propper bow rails, decent ladder off the back. tackle draws in the seats. Hydraulic steering standard. BC design trim tab plates, Yes they may have come from the same design but your kidding yourself if you think Surtees have developed the design more than Bar Crusher.
    One is no frills, the other is the ducks nutts

Quote Originally Posted by bennyboy View Post
    Live bair tank, transom door, a hell or alot better trailer, decent seat swivels, hella lighting, yes they both have options to close off the ballast. Decent size fuel tank. Circuit breaker on the dual batteries. stress free anchor winch ready, propper bow rails, decent ladder off the back. tackle draws in the seats. Hydraulic steering standard. BC design trim tab plates, Yes they may have come from the same design but your kidding yourself if you think Surtees have developed the design more than Bar Crusher.
    Bennyboy,

I'm not here to sell Surtees and I guess you're not here to sell Barcrusher.

Surtees from my dealer:
    Live bait well
    Trim tab mountings
    VSR and switches when dual batteries are fitted (optional)
    CTEC battery monitoring system
    Hydraulic steering
    Excellent tailor made trailer with stainless hydraulic disc brakes, LED lights and integrated drive on/off latch included.
    Ladder works fine - what's wrong with it?
    Bow rails are good - don't know what "proper" relates to.
    Fuel tank is 80 litres and that might be too small - depends where you are.
    Exactly the same seats as Barcrusher
    Anchor well had to be modified to fit the Stressfree - this is definitely a disadvantage for Surtees.
    Don't know if drawers in the seat pedestals is an option or not - didn't ask.

Biggest flaw in the Surtees is the Nyalic finish that they use on the cabin etc. It's supposed to be the ducks nuts but I've found it to be a pain in the butt.

What's the biggest flaw you've found with the Barcrusher?

I think the Barcrusher is an excellent boat too - but it's not the original, and it's not the best.

It's kind of pointless to compare the boats we own since we've already made our choice and paid our money, but maybe prospective buyers should be given accurate info?

Cheers,

Quote Originally Posted by bennyboy View Post
    Again RJ has nailed it nicely.

I'll add a couple of things:

• Transom door: Option on Surtees, I chose not to have this. I dislike them because they always let water in and are, in my opinion, overated. But that's just me, if you want one, go for it! By the way, if you don't want one on your BC can you order it without?
    • Trailer: matter of opinion whether the BC or Surtees trailer is better. My opinion is that the Surtees is better - Hydraulic brakes which typically are a $900 option on Aust boat trailers, SS calipers, integrated latch and LED lighting as RJ said, plus its design is such that there are no closed off RHS sections that you cant easily flush out, plus its TARE weight, due to innovative design, is more than 100kg less, making it easier to tow.
    • Hella lighting - do you mean in the boat? I have LED's throughout the boat, cabin, under gunwhales, under roof etc. Do the job nicely.
    • Surtees standard with ballast close-off
    • Better swivel seats than BC - have you looked at the pictures of mine?
    • Fuel tank - Options available, standard 80l, mine is 100l. Can get even more if required
    • Dual battery BEP VSR system an option, I got this on mine, plus the neat CETEK battery monitors are std! Do BC's come with these?
    • Hyd steering available - Hydrive brand too.....
    • Tackle draws - Surtees have a deluxe bait board that has this covered off easily. Also am sure that if you asked them they'd put them in the seat boxes if that's what you want.
    • Anchor winch - could have got Surtees custom anchor winch if I wanted it, but didn't.
    I optioned my Surtees towards the top of the list and there is only one thing of any note I couldnt get that the BC does have - a live bait tank. But I get around that by using the flooding underfloor kill tank, and it works fine. Anyway, dealers will fit them here as RJ noted.

For a $10K saving I can deal with that. $10K!

Like other BC people, you make out that Surtees is no-frills and BC somehow is the ducks nuts. The facts do not support that position. As I noted, Surtees will supply you with the boat in a range of fitout standards and with options that suit you and your budget. Its about providing a choice!

Surtees will also make changes whereas BC will not. I asked BC if they would raise the height of the folding roof to suit me because I am tall - NO was the answer! Surtees were happy to oblige.

Us kidding ourselves? The facts say otherwise.

Cheers

ML

Although this report is 10 months old now it's worth thinking about.

It's strange that the Surtees name has hardly been seen in Oz before - but the boats that they designed have been sold here for 10 years? Kind of like having a BMW made by Holden without acknowledging where the design and manufacturing techniques came from.

http://www.fishingmonthly.com.au/Art...es-Workmate-55

I'm not a dealer - or connected with any dealer.

Cheers,

g'day moonlighter, regarding your 10k saving, was wondering whether re-sale value ever came into your considerations when choosing a surtees over a crusher. the crusher and surtees may be the same type of boat but the bar crusher brand has well and truly established itself here in oz. it sounds like your trying to convince people your holden is a bmw?

Tsumani

Whilst Surtees may not be all that well known in Aus at the moment, it will not be long before that situation changes, big time. For a start they have now appointed dealers in every mainland state and Tassie.

I think, actually I know, my $10K is money in the bank.

Look - enjoy your boat as I will mine. This thread is not a debate about who's is biggest or best, it is simply an expression of my happiness with my new boat and the whole purchase and import process that I thought I'd share.

I did my research. I found out that Surtees designed and built the original BC's and as I've always been impressed with the BC, that was helpful in making me sure I was getting a quality well designed boat. The fact that I was purchasing from the original designer and builder who's won, and continues to win, just about every major industry award they offer in NZ, just added to my confidence. That plus the $10K in my pocket!

Further research showed that Surtees have been awarded CE and ISO certification for their boatbuilding process and their high standards now allow them to export into EU countries - further assurance of the quality of their operation.

Enough said, go enjoy your boating!

Cheers

ML

Agree ML,
    When looking for our boat back in 2003 it basically come down to the Cruise Craft Explorer 600 & the 6.1 Bar Crusher..... what also was in the equation was the fact that we knew the BC's were the same as Surtees at the time and had we decided to go with the Bar Crusher we would have almost certainly bought a Surtees in preference due to the savings.

In the end though we went with the Cruise Craft & the rest is history.

Glad its all turned out good for you!
    Heath
    Gold Coast
    WWW.GCFISHING.COM

g'day moonlighter, i think you have an awsome boat and was just having a little play with my original blog to see who would bite. i hope to see you in the bay sometime to say g'day. maybe we could unite and start a fight with the glass owners?

That's more like it! Plate Vs Plastic - hang on, I think that debate might have already been had..... and more than once, too!

Cheers

Ml