Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who's Come Across Tough Fish

Who's Come Across Tough Fish

Okay eat and cook fish till it comes out my ears. But this is the first time i've come across tough as leather after coking . Think was a big redjew . Bloody wouldn't feed it to the dog LOl
    JT
    VHF CHANNEL 21
    CALL SIGN : JT OR SC552(social club member)

There is a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot

I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be without sponges

Up here we Use Hussar as baits for real RED FISHS (SHSIIFDER)

Re: Who's Come Across Tough Fish

I haven't seen it off SEQ yet, but we did get red fish (nanny's, red emps etc) off Townsville now and then that was rubbery.

We got it often enough that we would cook the wings on the barbque before freezing the fillets just to check, because there is nothing worse than pulling out a nice red fillet and getting rubber and making a late dash to the takeaway shop

cheers

Mick

I hear you. I was usually of the opinion it was small mouth that was the major problem, but just recently we have come across a red emporer and a big mouth that were the problems.

Not sure of the reasons behind it. It's disappointing when you have cooked a big feed and can't eat it.

About 15 years back we got a heap of small mouth and we had one it was crap gave it away to everyone and they all raved about how good it was. Never kept a small mouth since.

So I think I will refine my catches to trout I think. haven't come across too many tough ones of them.

Pazz

JT theres research under way on this subject, its refered to as "Tuff fish syndrome"
    Fisheries Research has an article in the publication "FISH" heres a link page 15 .. http://www.frdc.com.au/documentlibrary/FISH%2016-3.pdf read this and youll understand more about it ... foxy

I found out the hard way that Spangled Emps can be tuff...Dave caught a 4 kilo speciman a while back. I cooked it up a few ways...flour n spices...TOUGH. Breadcrumbs n deep fried...TOUGH. I still ate it tho ...it just wont be on the menu anytime soon.

Mrs Benno1
    Sunny

Last season bayfisher landed a couple of nice Spanglies around the 4kg mark. I took one and he had the other. Mine was a great feed but his could have been usefull to replace boot soles. He tried it a few ways before giving up on it
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

Had this happen to a Cobia its mate (if it was) was fine eating, forget which was which sex.

cheers fnq

We get plenty of reds that go tough when cooked off Turkey Beach. Many a good meal has been spoilt by the rubbery red. Very dissapointing when you get them like that considering the hard work it takes to get them.

Hi JT
    The Japenese chef at iwasaki recons fish get tougher just like cows and pigs if they are slow to die so they always iki-jima their fish
    stuff like big cod can last for ages in a kill bin even with their throat cut
    we haven't had a tough one since we started iki-jima and that includes grassy and yellows
    cheers
    IFISHCQ2

Quote Originally Posted by dfox View Post
    JT theres research under way on this subject, its refered to as "Tuff fish syndrome"
    Fisheries Research has an article in the publication "FISH" heres a link page 15 .. http://www.frdc.com.au/documentlibrary/FISH%2016-3.pdf read this and youll understand more about it ... foxy
    Was a good article thanks Foxy and to all. First time i've come across it and have eaten heaps of it. Mate of mine told me mostly in the Redjew at times and i tell ya it's not nice, like ya's said half ya packets of fish may have it in it like a lucky dip lol
    VHF CHANNEL 21
    CALL SIGN : JT OR SC552(social club member)

There is a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot

I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be without sponges

Up here we Use Hussar as baits for real RED FISHS (SHSIIFDER)

Really interesting article. I'm in the fish business and have run across this most commonly in Spangled Emporer and don't use it anymore. Also see it a bit in stripies and reds but not enough to stop me using them. More recntly a shipment of WA Barra . Not seen it in local barra.

Certainly makes it inedible as normal fish but have minced it and used for Thai fish cakes.

KC

Am very interested to read the outcome of this. I've had quite a few tough fish but just thought it was the result of my cooking technique.
    Im still a bit dubious about most of them but its good to be able to blame it on the fish and not my cooking .

havent come acros a tough red yet ...(touch wood)
    but we iki spike everything

sean

try some black bream from the fresh water even boiled in vinegar its tough

Just checked out the spike.
    Will be getting one and giving it a go
    I will not be bothering with the small mouth nannys though
    I reckon they need to be run over with a truck before they would start to get edible

Rod