Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: iPhone Navionics, Marine: AUSTRALIA

iPhone Navionics, Marine: AUSTRALIA

Has anyone tried this App out?

It seems like good value for $14.99.

What is the detail like?

Cheers

Re: iPhone Navionics, Marine: AUSTRALIA

I have the app. Detail for $14.99 if excellent value for money. Maps redraws are quick. I have used it a couple of times in a mates boat that can't run charts and it is quite functional in its use.

Having said that, I don't use the app a lot, purchased mostly out of curiosity to use as a backup / reference (off the water) type use.

Mate I too have the app and it is great has alot of detail for 14.99 you can't go wrong. I have used it off moreton and mooloolaba and found it to be reasonably accurate.Cheers Brendan

Have it, and it's ok - Certainly wouldn't be relying on it as your only nav aid(mobile phone reception offshore is spotty at best, and the old iphone isn't too fond of water)

Side note - how do they justify selling this for $15, and the gold card is $300+? (Navionics must use solid gold sd cards!)

Mick

I have it and its good.

Quote Originally Posted by frankgrimes View Post
    Have it, and it's ok - Certainly wouldn't be relying on it as your only nav aid(mobile phone reception offshore is spotty at best, and the old iphone isn't too fond of water)

Side note - how do they justify selling this for $15, and the gold card is $300+? (Navionics must use solid gold sd cards!)

Mick

i use it i found it good it will work anywhere you dont need phone service the iphone has a stand alone gps

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Hutchison View Post
    i use it i found it good it will work anywhere you dont need phone service the iphone has a stand alone gps
    iphone gps receiver(In my experience) is pretty poor and also chews battery(Not an issue if you have ciggy charger in your boat)...I wouldn't rely on it as your only nav aid.

Yes good app and paid $15 for mine...my mate got it on hes iphone and paid $23 whats the deal with that??i look after he told me and it was $23 but a week or two later it was back to $15..whats the go there....I see it $29 for the ipad too...

Updates are free too.

I tested it the other day and was surprised at how accurate it was. The speed indicator read exactly the same as my gps. Got really hot though, so must need a lot of juice.

For those that have an ipad there's now a version for it as well. However I'm using the same version I have used on my iphone on the ipad with it in x2 blown up mode and it's more than usable. Not going to bother updating to the ipad version.

Beats trying to look at the beacon to beacon in the dark and the passenger can look at it as well.

I paid $9.99 for the iphone version a while ago. The ipad version I think is about $30. Free updates. I have a Humminbird GPS/Sounder but man I'm having trouble forking out nearly $400 for the same maps that you can't update for free.

I have on the iphone and run it alongside the Nauticpath map. Navionics has way more detail and much more user friendly. Also handy for browsing new contour lines on you lunch break. I play around with it when planning trips to new areas. Mark everything that looks interesting then transfer the waypoints into the main plotter.
    Even when discussing different spots with mates. Just whip out the iphone and maps/charts are in your hands.

has anyone manged to find a user manual for the iphone app version?

Quote Originally Posted by johnny roger View Post
    has anyone manged to find a user manual for the iphone app version?
    This is the best I could find:

http://www.navionics.it/Mobile_UserGuide_(1).htm

I've used it out the reef n its good to go ey was really surprised me mates plotter died and tried the iphone out and it was spot on to help us nav through the reef. No where near as water proof or solid as a good plotter but good for a back up just in case.