Thread: you cant catch me

Ausfish Platinum Member gr hilly's Avatar
    Blog Entries

you cant catch me

hi all for years now i have fished the jumpinpin,and in the last 12 mths or so i have seen some very big squid, just swimming in 3s 4s and 5s i have a dozen different jigs ive tried so many different ways pillies on the spit whiting too, you get within 3 mtrs boom their on the bottom gone not to be seen again they are often there could there be some reason for these big fellas not taking a bait like a normal size squid help me someone i love eating squid and i must be doing something wrong i get 6 or so normal size but i would like to nail a couple of these monsters.

looking for some tips please hilly

Re: you cant catch me

I had the same problem around Hinchinbrook last year, plenty of squid there and they would look at a jig but not take it.

Ended up using a cast net on them when they were near the surface.. worked great

King prawns on a skewer jig never fails, expensive yes but you can eat the bait and the squid you catch.
    There is a japanese skewer jig with a belly weight to get them to hang flat in the water like a king prawn jig. Simply insert the weight then spear the skewer through the loops on the weight and clip to your line. Have not seen them for sale in Aus tho. Lil Jap fella was using them off the old Redcliffe jetty about 10 yrs ago just before it was demolished and he out caught everyone else using prawn style jigs about 3:1.
    Jack.

Blog Entries

yes richard top idea as soon as the weather breaks ill give that a wirl thanks for your idea
    hilly

I'd catch these buggers too given half the chance

Blog Entries

you got ya chance now mate iv'e given you a answer have a look mate

glynn

I could tell you how to catch but then I'd have to kill myself.
    yeah yeah haha jokes aside.
    I'll send you a pm on how to catch the big fussy buggers.
    pickers

i have had a some luck in the bay but it might work , i put a big fish frame on a rod with a snelled rig ( you never know what could take it ) and i cast that out. you feel them tuggin on it so you slowly start to bring it in till you can see if thier stil on it , next drop you jigs next to your frame and you see them leave the frame and jump on you jigs or they will be greedy and stay on the frame (not hooked of course ) and reel it all the way in and you can scoop them up with the net.. hope it helps

Gather you are talking of large Tiger squid, these squid seem to have a mind of their own, if they are hungry they will take just about anything, but if there not they will just ignore anything you throw at them.

I've caught hundreds of squid in South Australia and these squid (different species to Qld squid) would always be attracted to the jig even if not hungry and could usually be tempted to have a go. This is not the case with the tiger squid, they just keep swimming.

Sometimes a small jig - 2.5 or 3 in size will do the trick.

hilly
    pm sent...took me 20 minutes to type it so read it carefully and just ask if you dont get the gist of something in it.
    pickers