Thread: Boat write off..

Cool Boat write off..

Has anyone had a boat go under ??
    If so how does the insurance companies go about writing it off.
    can you buy the boat back off them?

cheers

Re: Boat write off..

Usually the boat goes to the auction or tip or scrapey
    Your not thinking something stupid are you??

A newish boat just sunk, IMO, would not be written off. New motor and away you go again.
    Old boat sunk maybe should stay there. New arty.
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good

A newish boat just sunk, IMO, would not be written off. New motor and away you go again.

Its not as simple as that, I wouldn't want my newish boat back with a new motor if she went under.

All the electrics will be stuffed , steering , some seats ( if any) stuffed or lost, all electronics, fuel tank will have to come out and cleaned. all that is far to costly . Salt water is not kind to anything.
    Insurance company will write it off and they will pay you the insured value ( market or agreed , depending on your policy) but you keep the trailer if its a trailer boat .

Agreed value is the best policy if you can get one, this way they can't argue as to what is worth.

You can always make them on offer to buy it back or ask them how much they want for the wreck.

The boat is 19' 2000 model with all the bells and whistle on it and the motor is 2004 115 johno.
    Its ol mate from across the road parents and finga the thought had crossed my mind...

Ausfish Platinum Member gr hilly's Avatar
    Blog Entries

it depends on the company you are insured with,some companies spend more money trying not to pay you,and this is a fact.
    hilly

just don't look too keen!

Yep,
    Had one written off after spending the night under the briny.
    WRXHOON is right - everything is buggered and even though you might not see it now the fibreglass of the floor and stringers will also likely fall apart soon. The wiring is also cactus
    Nearly a 3 month fight with the insurance company (the big marine one)
    Eventually paid me out and the boat was shipped to auction in Melbourne where they felt the hull would be worth more (Haines 16c).
    I'd prefer not to go through the whole process again.
    Brett

I once brought a HH 565c that had been on the bottom , I found out later. Within a short time the transom started delaminating and the hull was showing signs of fatigue, lots of hairline cracks. I got rid of the thing pretty quick.

G'day,

It's gone. Getting a new one quick will help you get over it.

How did it happen?

Regards,

White Pointer