Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fishing the barra dams after the inflows...

Re: Fishing the barra dams after the inflows...

your an ideas man Daryl
    Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders and says...
    'Oh Shit.....she's awake'

Quote Originally Posted by darylive View Post
    I recon we go up for a week in September to check it out. What do you recon?

Maybe after fathers Day

MUSTER!!!!
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by themissus View Post
    your an ideas man Daryl

Nice to see that you guys now have home internet

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    Nice to see that you guys now have home internet

Chris
    I'm out there jerry and loving every mintute of it!!!!

These bunnies are freakin me out....are they evil or what?
    Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders and says...
    'Oh Shit.....she's awake'

Quote Originally Posted by darylive View Post
    I recon we go up for a week in September to check it out. What do you recon?

Maybe after fathers Day
    "Crikey" I think your onto something Daryl.......How good is this, Chris has come up with a name as well.....Hang on how about we call it " The Mondy Muster" I think it could catch on
    Good Mates....Good Food.....Good Fishing....Priceless

Quote Originally Posted by Whitto View Post
    "Crikey" I think your onto something Daryl.......How good is this, Chris has come up with a name as well.....Hang on how about we call it " The Mondy Muster" I think it could catch on

do you think Would people really want to try and catch barra - followed by sitting around a fire with like minded fishoes , sharing a yarn , a roast & a few bevies

we could always give it a try

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    do you think Would people really want to try and catch barra - followed by sitting around a fire with like minded fishoes , sharing a yarn , a roast & a few bevies

we could always give it a try

Chris
    Nah!!!!!! Ya right it will never work, what was I thinking......Sorry Pete we digress.......This is a very good thread, and to be honest I don't know what to think other than I would certainly continue to fish in all the Spot X's with the option of a lot of new water to investigate......It really is a new ball game
    Good Mates....Good Food.....Good Fishing....Priceless

Pete, this is a good question and I have been thinking about it a lot ever since the dams started filling. First of all, as others have said, there is a lot more water but basically the same amount of Barra. Therefore there is alot more areas for them to hide/live/travel in.

But should it make a lot of difference to how we find Barra? Sure there is going to be more water to cover and more choices. We have always mentioned on this forum that the things that we looking for are more to do with nature. Wind, current, water temp, oxygen levels, surrounding animal life, etc. These are there whether the dams are high or not.

Its probably now time where we will need to hone in on more on these aspects regarding mother nature to find our Barra. These things we intellectually know about but may find hard to do. Personally, I am lousy at it and don’t fully understand how to do it either.

The dams may be nearly full but there are still points, bays, ridges, shallow areas and drop offs etc. Using our sounders, and exploring these places, will educate us on our beloved “new” impoundments. We will recognize and find new locations that we will feel comfortable about and we will believe they hold Barra at times. Add the mother nature factor and we might just catch fish there.

Also there are “highways”, channels, creekbeds that the barra have used and will continue to use. Also some new ones will become evident. At times these may become locations where we will be able to find roaming fish.

There is still also bait and we believe the fish follow and hang around the bait. So while lots of things like the banks and topography of the dams have changed, some things haven’t.

I think the biggest issue we have is that we tend to fish “spots” more than these other factors. Our “spots” are all gone ( actually under meters of water) so where do we go! It is sad and frustrating to loose our spots. Like a tying on a confidence lure, we had our confidence spots. In time we will find new spots that will resemble our old favorites. I have never frequented Awoonga and Monduran enough to really have any spots so it won’t worry me too much. Might just need to carry more fuel for the extra water I will have to cover though!

So, many things have changed but some die hard facts haven’t. Ideally our fishing shouldn’t be built on the foundation of “spots” but on understanding the foundations of finding fish which may lead us to new spots that will be on sometimes and not others. Maybe we should ask ourselves “what made our spots the confidence areas they were”, and use this knowledge to fish new locations with similar characteristics. I suppose we should focus on the things we know have worked in the past and ideally combine it with the nature factor - but its easier said than done and I still don’t understand how it all comes together!

Anyway that’s my two bobs worth, - cheers Richard

Quote Originally Posted by rc@hinze View Post
    Pete, this is a good question and I have been thinking about it a lot ever since the dams started filling. First of all, as others have said, there is a lot more water but basically the same amount of Barra. Therefore there is alot more areas for them to hide/live/travel in.

But should it make a lot of difference to how we find Barra? Sure there is going to be more water to cover and more choices. We have always mentioned on this forum that the things that we looking for are more to do with nature. Wind, current, water temp, oxygen levels, surrounding animal life, etc. These are there whether the dams are high or not.

Its probably now time where we will need to hone in on more on these aspects regarding mother nature to find our Barra. These things we intellectually know about but may find hard to do. Personally, I am lousy at it and don’t fully understand how to do it either.

The dams may be nearly full but there are still points, bays, ridges, shallow areas and drop offs etc. Using our sounders, and exploring these places, will educate us on our beloved “new” impoundments. We will recognize and find new locations that we will feel comfortable about and we will believe they hold Barra at times. Add the mother nature factor and we might just catch fish there.

Also there are “highways”, channels, creekbeds that the barra have used and will continue to use. Also some new ones will become evident. At times these may become locations where we will be able to find roaming fish.

There is still also bait and we believe the fish follow and hang around the bait. So while lots of things like the banks and topography of the dams have changed, some things haven’t.

I think the biggest issue we have is that we tend to fish “spots” more than these other factors. Our “spots” are all gone ( actually under meters of water) so where do we go! It is sad and frustrating to loose our spots. Like a tying on a confidence lure, we had our confidence spots. In time we will find new spots that will resemble our old favorites. I have never frequented Awoonga and Monduran enough to really have any spots so it won’t worry me too much. Might just need to carry more fuel for the extra water I will have to cover though!

So, many things have changed but some die hard facts haven’t. Ideally our fishing shouldn’t be built on the foundation of “spots” but on understanding the foundations of finding fish which may lead us to new spots that will be on sometimes and not others. Maybe we should ask ourselves “what made our spots the confidence areas they were”, and use this knowledge to fish new locations with similar characteristics. I suppose we should focus on the things we know have worked in the past and ideally combine it with the nature factor - but its easier said than done and I still don’t understand how it all comes together!

Anyway that’s my two bobs worth, - cheers Richard

extremely well written Richard!!!

your two bobs worth is pretty much spot on mate in my eyes.

Cheers Steve
    I dont have ADHD......ohh look a squirrell !!!

Yeh , I'm with Steve ...... Well written Richard

sadly ..... it will be all about trying to unlock a pattern , find fish ....in new locations. Prevailing conditions will be our beacon - I say sadly , because there is no , I'll just go to point X at sunset ...... because I know I can catch a barra there ........ places like pepper , bent tree , no secret , naggs , producer , rainbow . "north B" etc .... some will no doubt continue to live up to their past glory! - though ..... could be a few pastry sessions ahead

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

same ingrediants, differant cake I reckon.
    Mite just take a while to find the spots that settle and hold those same "ingrediants', but then its game on again.