Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fishing the barra dams after the inflows...

Fishing the barra dams after the inflows...

I started this thread to voice my opinion and seek the opinions of others about how the barra dams will fish following the massive inflows that have occurred recently. My views are of Monduran but they do not differ too much for other impoundments...

Disregarding water quality (which will settle down), what do you believe will happen both immediately and over the next six months or so? I think we will have three distinct periods of different barra responses.

Firstly, we suddenly have the same amount of barra and the same amount of bait in dams that now may now have more than three times the amount of water they had previously. This means the bait has more area to spread out, hide and escape predators. The barra will need to hunt further and harder for their meals, thereby expending more energy, increasing their metabolism and therefore needing to feed more often. I think this will result in a 'hot' bite period over the next two months or so until the weather cools down. I will test this theory in April!

The next stage will be the normal winter slowdown. If we have a mild winter (like last year) then I would expect the 'hot' bite period to continue until the bait biomass increases significantly. If it is a cold winter, then I think the bite will taper off until spring but without much in the way of barra kills from the cold because of the deeper water available in all dams now...

By spring I expect the normal impoundment balance to have re-established itself as the bait numbers will have increased and the barra can once again feed more easily (lazily) meaning we will all have to work harder for each capture again...

Just my thoughts...what do you think?

Regs

Pete

Re: Fishing the barra dams after the inflows...

Quote Originally Posted by Peter4 View Post
    Firstly, we suddenly have the same amount of barra and the same amount of bait in dams that now may now have more than three times the amount of water they had previously. This means the bait has more area to spread out, hide and escape predators. The barra will need to hunt further and harder for their meals, thereby expending more energy, increasing their metabolism and therefore needing to feed more often. I think this will result in a 'hot' bite period over the next two months or so until the weather cools down. I will test this theory in April!
    I'm no expert, but I think you may be disappointed when the time comes to test your theory. With all the vegetation and extra habitat that is now under water you might find that the baitfish will increase in numbers very rapidly. This will mean some very well fed Barra for quite some time. I reckon it will be the anglers that will have to work harder for their meals for the next little while.

Cheers,
    Dave.

Same number of barra inthe dam spread over much more water equates in my opinion to being harder to find the fish, therefore more difficult times ahead. Lots of bait for the soon to be released fingerlings to eat so once these fish reach a size in a couple of years then good times again. cheers scott.

I hope you are both wrong Dave & Scott! I initially had the same thoughts as Scott but now I am not so sure...

Would love to know how long it will take the bait fish (boney bream) to breed up in big numbers....

We will have to wait and see....

Quote Originally Posted by davez104 View Post
    I'm no expert, but I think you may be disappointed when the time comes to test your theory. With all the vegetation and extra habitat that is now under water you might find that the baitfish will increase in numbers very rapidly. This will mean some very well fed Barra for quite some time. I reckon it will be the anglers that will have to work harder for their meals for the next little while.

Cheers,
    Dave.

Nah Dave, dont agree, and trust me, Im no expert either

Well fed barra equates to active barra hunting for food, we just have to be in the right spot at the right time when they are feeding.

Im scratching my head where to start on the next run, it will be like my first trip up there, a lot of new water and all those trees. Let you all know how it goes in April as well.

Stick with the basics I spose, at least it wont be as crowded.

im going to awoonga this week end for 4 nights for my 40th i am hoping that they will be on the bite and dont come home with the taste of donut in my mouth gazza

best of luck Dazza, and happy bday mate.
    40 is the new 21, so I keep telling my missus!

A little tapering off this week?

Hi Pete, the baitfish are already in their billions, the dam is alive with little fish feeding off the top wherever you go. When I drive across the dam at night with the nav lights on little fish are coming out of the water everywhere like spray from the bow. Barra are out boofing on these schools of small fish like a whale shark sucking in krill while other barra are mooching around in 2 foot of water eating everything that's hiding in the grass. The bait is already there, now you have to find the barra.
    cheers scott.

Thanks for that Scott - I intend to search for barra as often as possible over the next few months!

How's Awoonga fishing?

Peter,

Think it will be a case of spot the well fed barra in amongst all that water and bait.

Anyway will be back up in less than a week. Couple weeks worth of exploring the new dam, lots of ideas. It will be fun, last time it took a few weeks for the water quality to settle properly.

But this time we have a lot more inflow, so will be interesting, depending on the amount of matter covered and flowing in the new levels.

Bit like old time in the NT.

Trev
    Fish for the future, enjoy the present but think of your children.

We will have tons of bait again this year with the inflows, plus with the floodwaters reaching central Australia again no pelicans etc on our lakes to thin them out could be a bit hard for a while. No weedbeds to fish so it's back to the points, the ridges between the islands and lantana.

Cheers Foxie

Lost my first ever Mondy barra fishing the lantana.

My success rate hasnt improved much since then.

I think the recovery period will be tough at Mondy .. unfortunately we had a fair bit of rain prior to the increase which allowed the countryside vegetation to flourish - then we drowned it all
    ...... searching for the best water quality will be the key to success or failure with the areas that receive the benefits of the greatest water movement being the best target areas (imo)- Areas with large open expanses of water where wind wave action on the shore could prove to be gold -

I think the weed beds will take a while to establish as air temps begin to fall and we now move into the Autumn / winter period.

How long will this settling in period take ........ my money would be till spring where we will see an explosion in the biomass , new weed edges & plenty of hungry barra on the prowl - Aug/Sept 2010 could be something special

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Wink Re: Fishing the barra dams after the inflows...

I recon we go up for a week in September to check it out. What do you recon?

Maybe after fathers Day

Most of my Money is spent on Booze and Fishin.
    The Rest is just Wasted!
    To The Shed.............