Thread: first trip to mondy help needed

first trip to mondy help needed

hey everyone.
    im new to this site and im planning a trip to mondy either this weekend or next.
    im 16 and going up with a mate. leaving friday morning and coming home around lunch sunday .
    we have never fished for barra before. so if anyone could help us out in anway be much appreciated.(lures,spots etc.)
    so far our lure collection is
    predatek hyper viper- green and yellow
    predatak hyper viper - black and gold
    slick rigs- green and yellow
    a few differnt coloured classic f18

thanks heaps
    trent

Re: first trip to mondy help needed

Trent

My advice is to troll through the advice given on this site by doing a search on Mondy. Especially the more recent ones as the dam has changed dramatically in the last month or so with quickly rising waters. Also drop into Foxies at Gin Gin on the way through and buy a few recommended barra lollies in exchange for great local advice.

Best of luck

Steve

oh ok yer ive been having look but cant really find to much information. ill keep looking but.
    ok might have to stop in and have a look and pick up a few more lures at foxies then

mate, drop into Foxies at Gin Gin, he will steer you right on what and where is firing.
    As Steve said, big water level rise, and 99% of spots we have been fishing are now under 6 meters of water so its a new dam for most of us as well.
    Have a look in freshwater reports for some clues as well.

By all accounts the dam is changing daily,so you're best bet would be to chat with Foxy.Theres a couple of reports up from last weekend so check those as well.Other than that go and explore,but take care theres a lot of water in there now.
    Paulo

Hi Trent,
    was up there last weekend and found in rainy conditions and low water temps between 25 - 28 deg, the fish were hanging in the dirty water line and not very receptive to much at all. But I did get a nice one on a Bully WA65 frog cast right into the edge of the water line. This will probably work in the mornings if sunny, but when the sun warms up the bays I am a bit unsure on how to work for them at the moment with the rises. As the other guys suggested, go see Foxie, he will set you straight. My only other advice is cast, cast, cast and dont get discouraged as you will get one eventually if you keep the lure in the water.
    Cheers
    Steve

hey thanks for the advice. so the dirty water line might be a go. i guess anything is worth a try. hopefully we can stop in at foxies on the way through. how heavy should the rod be? and do i need a big reel?

Quote Originally Posted by sizedoesmatter View Post
    oh ok yer ive been having look but cant really find to much information. ill keep looking but.
    ok might have to stop in and have a look and pick up a few more lures at foxies then
    Try reading the recent reports ..... lots of information , hints , tips etc ( probably 8 or more recent ones have been since the water levels increased)

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Hi Trent
    What sort of fishing do you normaly do , and what gear are you taking to Mondy.(line , leader , hooks , rod , reels ) If it's your first trip chasing barra I would make sure you have everything tuned. You don't want to put in 1000 cast to
    drop ya first due to a small thing you've over looked.
    Cheers Gav

I normly fish soft plastics and hard vodys for bream and flatty . But we do go shark fishing a fair bit. I have.a few difdernt rods I was going to take ugly stick 5 to 8kg the only big reel I have is 6500 with 50lb braid on it. But im thinking it might be to big. I'm using lures so trolling and casting. Leader 80lb. I'm also thinking of taking a 3 to 5kg rod with bout 4000 or 3000 size reel with 25lb line to flick around. Does this sound ok

I just went for my first trip to Mondy last week-end and tried for fish but knowing all the new water was stirring things up, and not knowing the dam, didn't expect to catch any and I didn't. Just go and have fun, I did even in the rain on Sunday.

Don't waste any costly lures on snags till the fish are there and you know where they are.

Jeffrey

Yer but I guess if u don't try u won't catch anything. We are heading up next week now due to I'm on crouchers