Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Towing - Car can only tow 600kg?!

Re: Towing - Car can only tow 600kg?!

Quote Originally Posted by sandbankmagnet View Post
    You migh want to get a check on what your insurance company believes it is as well.
    Spot on !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DoNotFeedTheTrollsAandBelligerent

UK hyundai site says 1400/500 kg braked/nonbraked
    Stacer 525 easyrider - 115 DI. Bayside Brissy

Underlines to me DO NOT BUY A HYUNDAI TUCSON!

600kg max? What a piece of crap!

Sorry, drunk.

Tim
    Carbon Really Ain't Pollution.

BaitThrower- Thats what I first thought but then I thought if I have a heavy boat on the back it will make the front wheels lighter which would mean less traction??

Im sure the Tucson can tow more, it just really frustrates me that this is Hyundai's stance. I have towed a 1000kg trailer before I am sure with this car, before I even saw on the net the 600kg limit. I just worry in the event there is an accident or its not safe I don't want to have gone against the vehicle specs. But your right I should not have to believe a website when it is black and white in the book and on the car what if I didn't have the internet, I would never know. But still I want to do the right thing.

Hyundai says 500kg unbraked, 600kg braked in their site under Tucson > Specifications > Measurements > Towing Capacity. And then in the PDF spec it says 600kg unbraked, 600kg braked which again is different to that! ( http://www.hyundai.com.au/vehicles/t...n_brochure.pdf ) "1 Maximum ball download 120 kg (2.0 L) or 150 kg (2.7 L). Towbar 500 kg braked & 500 kg unbraked (2.0 L Manual)600 kg braked & 600 kg unbraked (2.0 L Auto), 1500 kg braked & 750 kg unbraked (2.7 L V6, Auto).
    Towbar capacity subject to regulatory requirements, Towbar design, vehicle design and towing equipment limitations."

I can't believe it is only 600kg, but I don't know where to take it from here...I thought I should tell Hyundai I want a refund because the car is not as described!!

I'm not going to find a boat that's 600kg. I don't even know if a jetski comes under that weight! I've had my eye looking for some half cabin glass boats, around 16-20 foot because I want to take it to Tangalooma Wrecks (Moreton Island) & the like...maybe I need to trade it in or buy a second 4wd ute/vehicle just for towing the boat

Just a sideline question. How far are you going to tow this thing? Is it 2, 10 or 200 Km to the boatramp? If weight on the front wheels is the issue then you just need a anti sway device on the towbar. This uses springs to apply pressure to the trailer drawbar, therefore giving less weight on the rear wheels and more weight on the front wheels.
    Ignorance to the all knowing internet could be bliss.

Cheers
    Chris

From what I've researched over the net there are several factors that can decide towing capacity including transmission, driveline, brakes, performance and weight.

At first glance I dont think weight or performance has anything to do with it. It might be possible though that the brakes and driveline in the FWD model might not be up to the task or will reduce longevity so Hyundai reduced the towing capacity.

Very hard to get a handle on this i have been quoted 970 kg braked max tow
    for my 1977 4x4 F100 351 motor But i know it will pull a train ?????????

You think that's bad, try the new Fed Govt subsidised hybrid Toyota Camry.
    They don't recomend towing at all, that's right zero.
    The limits are nothing to do with practicality, only risk minimisation or let's keep the lawyers out of it.

Eric03 - I mainly plan to tow about 2-5km away the majority of the time (Gold Coast broadwater), but then I'd also like to tow say 60km to Bris so I can get to Moreton, and maybe 150km to Bribie Island and then at the very extreme/maybe once or twice a year 370km to Hervey Bay.

I know what you mean about hybrids, I was actually looking at the Ford Ecotec when I was thinking about upgrading and your right, they are all very adamant you can't tow a thing with them. There wouldn;t be a garage or service centre type place I could take the car to and get them to do an independent test to determine the towing capacity would there? Or that would be no where near the level a manufacturer test to with their big test centres/factories and the like?

I only plan to own the car for maybe another year or two, I'm just wondering if I will be able to get by towing up and till then, I just wish Hyundai would give me some better answers as to why it is only 600kg braked. Even looking back at previous Tucson models before mine they have higher towing capacities and in front (ix35) so I really don't understand.

hi dammit ,mike here i am a motor dealer have had this issue 4 weeks ago ,hyundia did revise tow towing capacity in 2006 on these models and racq can confirm this as well ,if hyundai have told you this then i would suggest you stick to this because of the legal side off this( insurance company ) when i spoke to hyundai they told me the same thing i asked them why but they wouldnt comment any further on this i suggest they where having quiet a few transmission claims which i later found out through my contacts in the industry , the car will tow the wait no promlems but what do you do ????? sorry about the bad news ,pm me if you want more info mike

Well not connected with Hyundai but how's this for ducking for cover.

http://www.goseeaustralia.com.au/art..._if_they_dont/

Quote Originally Posted by dammit View Post
    Hi All

The book is a generic book all English speaking countries obtain. EachTucson built slightly differs in each country. We in Australia have ADR (Australian Design Rules) which are different to other areas and countries.Hyundai Australia cannot warrant or confirm if the vehicle will operate in normal conditions if greater loads are Towed."

so maybe in Kazakhstan one can tow 27 tons...

No Independent Rear Suspension,ESP stability control or Traction Control System on my crappy little Suzuiki Vitara but she'll pull 1200kg . I sometimes think of buying a new car but what's outhere as a replacement.
    Unfortunately the compliance plate on the tow bar means nothing it applies to the towbar not the car it's bolted to.

What amases me is the length that people have to go through to see what their cars can and cannot do.
    What ever happened to looking in the owners manual and reading the relevent part under specifications and saying...yep, the car can tow 1200kg. The boat weighs 800kg. Good as gold???? instead of looking at websites, consulting insurance companies, lawyers and quite possibly the lady who sells salad rolls at the school fete to get the right information.
    What is the purpose of the owners manual IF the information is incorrect??
    When do you stop looking for information about towing capacities, tyre size and pressures, oil types and capacities, coolant type and every other bit of information you get out of the owners manual??
    What do you assume is correct??
    If it's good enough to rethink the towing capacity it's good enough to print a new book to tell you about it in my books.
    When do you stop looking elswhere for information that might contradict what was given too you when you brought the vehicle???
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good

I have to agree that if Hyundi have changed to towing capacity of their vehicle after purchase, they should be advising their clients in writing.

I would further argue that should be recalling the vehicles so they can affix a plate to that effect.

One thing that realy annoys me is that there is no requirement to clearly mark on the vehicle what the maximum towing capacity is.

Most vehicles, unless you have an owners manula or other source, you have no idea of the towing capaity...even then with some you have no idea.

What is stamped on the tow bar....means little....my L300 ( still here) is fitted with a tow bar rated to 1 tonne, and when I fitted it you could tow that much in some states..... but the rated towing capacity is much less and I could never tow that much in QLD
    Same story with my XF ute that I had.....the tow bar was rated at 2 tonnes.....well above the towing capacity.

Then you start looking at fords...they have a towing capacity then if you do this factory mod ( fit towing pack XYZ) your towing capacity increases........different towing capaciies for differently optioned vehicles , select the orange shag pile carpet and the towi ng capacity changes........OH BH who knows.

At least with toyota, each vehicle has one towing capacity and that does not change thruout that range...manual, auto, different engine sizes, 2wd, 4wd..all the same.

as for the Toyota warranty claim thing.

So you've designed this 4wd...and you've worked out, with reference to your own engineering and government requirements what the towing capacity is...and truly its a fair thing.

So a bloke buys one of these 4WD's and proceeds to tow a 3 tonne camper trailer across the gunbarrel highway...........of course, something brakes.....It might only be a crack in the chasis....of course it does... not many do the gunbarell without breaking something.

Are you going to fix that for him under waranty........

I can see toyota's point...yeh heres a vehicle.....it is safe to tow this much with it.....but don't expect us to fix it when you break it.

as for the low tow ratings...
    There are all sorts of vehicles that the tow ratings dont seem to be realistic.....

A toyota corrola, is rated to tow something like 750 unbraked and 1.2 tonnes braked...yep its front wheel drive pasenger car. ( far cop is produces more power and has bigger brakes than a HQ holden 1 tonner)

Yet a Hiace van.....a rear wheel drive 1 tonne commercial....will only tow about 400KG unbraked and arround a tonne braked.

It is certainly something worth looking at with your eyes wide open when you buy.

As for finding a boat under 600KG on trailer......yeh not too much of a problem... but it wont be big.... If you are carefull you will manage something decent.

The brotherinlaws old 14 foot savage, aluminium runnabout with 30HP up the tail and a 15mm plywood floor comes in about 680Kg.
    Ya should squeek a 14 foot tiller steer in just under the 600KG. A 12 foot 15 Hp tilller steer.....no problem at all...as long as its ally.

cheers
    Its the details, those little details, that make the difference.