Thread: A Few Questions...

A Few Questions...

Hi all,

I've recently moved to Lake Hugh Muntz which is a smallish freshwater lake on the gold coast.

I've been catching quite a few big mullet 50cm+ in this lake along with some huge longfin eels and it got me thinking about a few things. Since the lake is filled with banded grunters which take your bait almost as soon as it hits the water I've kind of given up on my lake.

1. Can freshwater mullet and eel be used as crab/shark bait in saltwater?

2. I was thinking about giving some bass fishing a go, and was wondering if there are many in the clear island/robina waters. I've seen pictures of a couple of mates fishing there a year or two ago catching quite a few. Is this an alright time of year?

Thanks in advance,
    Max

Re: A Few Questions...

Max, there are Bass in the Robina Lakes/ Clear island waters. Lots of weed around the edges. the Bass closed season times apply in there. Gold Coast City council was also thinking of stocking Bass in Lake Hugh Muntz according to a report that you can find if you Google "Lake Hugh Muntz + bass".

There are tilapia in Hugh Muntz as well. If your bait is getting snatched try some lures.

Yeah I forgot to mention the things ive caught.

So far:

- Heaps of big Mullet
    - Quite a few Eels (one i caught was well over a meter)
    - Heaps of small Garfish (seen, but too lazy to put small enough hooks on)
    - A few Tilapia around 40cm mark
    - The odd Eel tailed catfish
    - Another fish i call butterbream but im not sure what their real name is, they tend to pick your bait when your fishing for normal bream in saltwater
    - A ridiculous amount of banded grunters
    - One golden perch which I caught when I first moved here (havent seen one since)

I've mainly been targeting the big mullet for a bit of fun just with a float and bread. I found that sinking the bread was useless because you would pull in a big chunk of soft weed from the bottom every cast. All fish have been released due to no point keeping (I didn't realise what tilapia were at the time).

Max....why don't you try Hinze if you want to tangle with some decent freshies eg bass? Worth a thought perhaps...or are you boatless?

Cheers
    Paul
    Ranger 188VX - "Sweet Chariot"

Boatless at the moment

But looking to get one within the next few months