Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rod Wrapper & Dryer

Rod Wrapper & Dryer

Just starting out building custom rods would appreciate any advice on where and what kind of rod wrapper to purchase, the rods i will be building are between 6 and 12 feet. Also can the wrapper double as a dryer at a reduced speed,any information would be appreciated.

Cheers Adam

Re: Rod Wrapper & Dryer

Yes you can purchase wrapper/dryer units, but if you are just starting out do you really need to spend the money? You could use the money to buy components to make the first few.

I made some simple rollers and wrap by hand but I am only making about 10 a year. For a dryer I use a cheap BBQ rotisery motor which works fine (have it set up to dry 2 at once).

Adam

Thanks for the advice Adam i was thinking about the BBQ motor idea does it have enough speed to wrap as well. A pic of your setup would help greatly.

Cheers Adam

My first wrapper was made from an old sewing machine that my mother didnt want (upgraded to a newer version). Brother (who was then an elctrical fitter) helped me pull it apart and set it up. Bench part was easy......10' length of 200mm x 25mm Hoop Pine (radiata without the knots). Some aluminium L section for the channels to slide the roller assemblies along (purchased cheap from L Wilson at the time). Chuck was from an old clapped out drill that my father had that held a homemade device that the butt of the rod was taped to. this set up gave me the foot controls for controlling wrapping speed.

For Drying, I made a similar setup but used the motor from an old rottiserie oven (bbq version would do the same...i just used as much stuff as I could get for nix). Dont use the variable speed stuff for drying.....use the specific low speed stuff.

Finished up with a collection of similar (and improved ) versions over the years as I started to make custom rods for friends/relos....then commercially (on a semi hobby basis).

When I opened the tackle shop I bought a couple of the 'proper' ones with all the fancy springs and spindles and bobbin holders. Didnt do the job any better, but looked a hell of a lot more professional in the shop....LOL.

Greg

Adam, this is what i built myself. Fraction of the cost of a commercial one and works really well. I have a BBQ motor (garage sale) for drying given my wrapper is to fast and can't be adapted to drying.

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/sho...d.php?t=153028

I wrapped a few by hand before this and doing it manually is fine but you do need a few decent vee blocks or better still a few roller supports (all available commercially) to get a decent job, to hard otherwise IMO.

In going to my motorised wrapping the time involved in binding is so much quicker it hardly compares (for me anyway). I also find that i'm getting a neater job on the wrapper but that could be me just getting better at what i'm doing over time. I'm still learning.

There's also some detailed pics of how i made the chuck somewhere close to that original post.

I'm no expert but this is what i have found, Cheer's, Scott

Adam, the BBQ rotiserie motor is for drying only, here are a few pics of the dryer and rollers I knocked up. Note the dryer is in prototype stage so we will call it a test enviroment re connectors. There are skateboard bearings under the conduit saddles and the other end is supported by rollers.

Thank you for your help Adam,Greg and Scott upon reading previous posts you guys continualy give great advice to newbies like myself well done to you all.

Greg where did you purchase your proper ones from and what sort of dollars would i expect to pay.

Scott i have been through previous posts and your pics are great and very helpful expecially the chuck setup.

Adam your pics an info have been very helpful . One question on the roller setup on the rod supports ,the top roller how is that fixed is it by spring or another method for rods that are not perfectly round a pic of your setup or anyone elses would be great.

Once again thank you for you heaps for everyoes advice and help.I can see how addictive this going to get and i am looking forward to the challenges ahead.

Cheers Adam

Adam,

I purchased mine through Wilson Tackle in Queensland, but remember they are a whoesaler and dont sell direct to the public. They can direct you to the nearest tackle sho to you that can order them in. It was many years ago when I purchased mine, and i think I paid around $700 for the setup......and that included extra bases to bind 12' rods. You would need to talk to Wilsons to get the recommended prices, then talk to your tackle shop about what they will sell it to you for. (a little hint....ring them, dont email them, i have heard a few times recently that they arent exactly timely in replying to emails.) There are others that sell rod binding benches, do a search on line.

Cheers
    Greg

Do a search for rod lathe here.
    Ah, I had nothing else better to do so I did it already
    http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/sea...archid=1440880
    Some good examples of home made setups there.

To be honest I would not worry about the motorised wrapping in the beginning. Easier to do by hand turning when you consider the time it takes to undo stuff ups.

Oii Adam...where did you get those little white wheels?? They look like the ducks nuts for the job. And flash eh!!

Cheers then
    Scott
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good

Hi Adam, I'll try to take a pic of the other side of the rollers, the top wheel is on an adjustable slide so I manually adjust it for each rod, seems to work ok for me.

Hey Scott, got the wheels from a hobby shop, they're for model aircraft. They work ok but I was rushing when I made it so it's a bit rough.

The roller pic is of the first rod I did, when I look back I'm almost embarrased to post it up with all the mistakes. ha ha.

Adam

Thanks for that Adam.
    I thought they were model airplane wheels and had a bit of a gander on ebay.
    But there's no real bargains to be had on them.
    I worked out I'd need about 3,000 (well not really...but close to it) of the buggers to convert everything I have here with wheels.
    I reckon they'd be the bees knees though. Solid foam sounds real good.

Hopefully we'll catch up on the 20th if your around.
    Cheers then
    Scott

Thanks Adam i will wait on some pics.
    Scott(finga) cant get throuth on that link,also i checked out Bunnings yesterday they have same wheels only larger i will check out if they can get smaller sizes and will keep you posted.

Cheers Adam

No good on that one as well Scott

ok sorry for the wait but combination of new baby and bloody termites eating my house I don't have much spare time. (gotta save all the brownie points for when the weather is good)

Scott, I'm not looking to good for the 20th (wife's 30th) so I'm trying for the 21st if it carries over.

Adam