Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Turning the Less desireables into Delicacies

Re: Turning the Less desireables into Delicacies

Thai fish cakes work with fish that have poor texture such as MILFs or trevors. I don't like anything thats too dark in the flesh and dont try and hide it in a sauce or such as the flavour comes through. Some people like the stronger fish flavours though
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

With most seafood we class as less desirables this is only so because we are a tad spoilt with what we have swimmin about in our local waters , especially along most of the Queensland coast.
    Take a trip to Tassie for instance and see if the fish there pleasse the pallate so much as the fish here??, yet the taswegians would say they have top Fishies down there and again its what you are used to eating .
    give ya a good exampple of the "Less Desirables" would be certain Fish heads which come the right time of the year like winter in the hands of a wee bit of experience make some of the best Soup out an d a taste for some "TO Die For" lol.
    The Occy for instance which is talked about under NoelM's post , whether be it baby occy or Humungas tentacles which can make some of the best Piccled or barbacued Occy and a something of a must around Greek Barby (If one can get their paws one one nowadays..
    Even the ole Mother In Law filleted the right way and put on ice soonn as its caught dont taste too bad ey..
    Most seaffod is Class Food if you dont have it handy and fresh..

Great recipie my old boss passed to me for yellow tail kingies,

Fillet and cut fish into portions.
    Mix about 3-4 tbsp of Cajun seasoning into a med jar (about 600-800grams) of whole egg mayo.
    Coat fish portions.
    Shallow fry in hot pan.

Consume! bloody delicious

Try these!

Bonito or Kingfish sashimi, with soy and wasabi (ask Deepfried).

Soak Tailor, GT fillets, or whole bonito, in brine overnight. Pat dry and put in an oiled Al foil tray. cover loosely with Al foil. Smoke in a Webber. I like a handfull of Hickory chips/sawdust in an Al foil container, on top of the coals. Fish need about 15-20min. The Tailor/ GT also make a nice smoked fish pie, with a white sauce and mashed potato topping.

Regards, Rob.