Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: first turkey in the weber

first turkey in the weber

I cooked my first Turkey in my weber on the weekend, what a magnificent result (if I do say so myself) resorted to reading the instructions for the webber (that I was very lucky to find) and cooked on a "normal" fire, indirect heat, which is about 20 heatbeads a side, Turkey was a size 40 (4KG) and took about 2.5 hours to cook, covered in aluminium foil for the first 1.5 hours, then no foil to brown it realy nice, and a secret stuffing made by my wife, well not really a secret, I just did not watch how she made it, it was so good I was going to take a photo (but sadly did not, next time) I had the Kids over and their husbands and girlfriend and everyone commented on how good it was, even the wings came out a treat, not all dry and cindered, might start looking for another Turkey on special and give it another try, with photos this time (if it turns out)

Re: first turkey in the weber

Cant beat turkey in the weber mate, and they will fit a size 46
    mike
    Tangles KFC

Congrats Noel. I am not normally a huge fan of Turkey, probably because every one I have had has been tough and stringy. I will give this method a try, might convert me. (i admit I have never cooked one....just had to put up with others efforts).

Greg

Nice work,
    They are buggers to cook because of there size.
    But shielding the heat and "tenting" the top with foil if it gets a little to brown before internal temp is achieved, They come out great.
    Turkey is somthing you have to play with to get it right and you seem to have nailed it.

yep, turkey is normaly all dry and crappy, but this came out just so good, nice and moist, I think the secret was the foil for the first bit, then none to brown the thing, plus just the right amount of heat.

I have just resurrected my old Weber a few weeks ago after years of using a gas barbecue because, if it isn't barbecued in a Weber with all the delightful associated smoking, it is just cooked no different to what the kitchen stove would do.

My old Weber had been sitting out in the elements for many years but I bought a refurbishment kit for about $35 that replaced the rustables, and have delighted in barbecuing ducks, turkey legs (cheap as...) and steaks since.

Of course, a bloke really needs to be retired to find the time to clean up a Weber after use. That clean up is their one disadvantage but the taste of what they cook is fantastic.

i just buy $5 turkley legs from coles and wrap them foil and in the oven for 2-3 hours. Nice , jucy and cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by timddo View Post
    i just buy $5 turkley legs from coles and wrap them foil and in the oven for 2-3 hours. Nice , jucy and cheap.
    A couple of them done in a Weber charcoal barbeque for one hour results in the most beautifully coloured, smoked, flavoured treat. Awesome!

If if ain't a Weber, it is just a stove.

yeah, agreed, not too sure how it is different from your house oven, but it is, must be the smoke/coals or something, and I have mentioned this before, I have two "webbers" one genuine and a cheap department store one, and the genuine one leaves the copy for dead, can't really explain that either, not to mention on the cheap one the legs are buggered and it needs propping up so it doesn't fall over, but the genuine weber just keeps working, I have mucked about a bit with the amount of heat beads I use, and how they are positioned and so on, but for things like (say) a loin of Pork, about 25 beads a side, move the beads to each side, put an aluminium foil tray in between them, and the pork over the tray works fantastic (that is called indirect heat in the book) the turkey was 20 beads a side, cooked the same way, but covered in foil for the first bit, boned leg of lamb, 25 beads a side and when almost done, remove the tray and move beads to be under the meat to get a crisp "crust" on the outside. Ont thing a lot of new webber owners don't realise is, the heat is controled by the amount of heat beads, most think the more beads the longer it lasts, but it is not so, 10 beads will last just as long as 50, but will not be as hot, the fine temp control is via the vents top and bottom.

I assume that you have seen the turkey cooking videos on the "Heatbeads" site?

I did some Turkey legs in the slow cooker recently. Turned out great. Wish I had a weber though too.

Nice one Noel, turkey is so nice when cooked right.

I dont use a webber but a hooded bbq, with a rotisserie, wire them up, and they come out beutifully juicy, like the old charcoal chicken takeaway shops, only secret is knowing when to take them off, usually 2-3 hours for a 40, and let them sit for a while stewing in there own juices..

regards
    Honda.

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    yeah, agreed, not too sure how it is different from your house oven, but it is, must be the smoke/coals or something, and I have mentioned this before, I have two "webbers" one genuine and a cheap department store one, and the genuine one leaves the copy for dead, can't really explain that either, not to mention on the cheap one the legs are buggered and it needs propping up so it doesn't fall over, but the genuine weber just keeps working, I have mucked about a bit with the amount of heat beads I use, and how they are positioned and so on, but for things like (say) a loin of Pork, about 25 beads a side, move the beads to each side, put an aluminium foil tray in between them, and the pork over the tray works fantastic (that is called indirect heat in the book) the turkey was 20 beads a side, cooked the same way, but covered in foil for the first bit, boned leg of lamb, 25 beads a side and when almost done, remove the tray and move beads to be under the meat to get a crisp "crust" on the outside. Ont thing a lot of new webber owners don't realise is, the heat is controled by the amount of heat beads, most think the more beads the longer it lasts, but it is not so, 10 beads will last just as long as 50, but will not be as hot, the fine temp control is via the vents top and bottom.
    Noelm, dont count the number of heat beads, interferes with having a beer,

mate, i just fill up a chimney, and once lit pile them all on one side ( more room for tatties,

if its going to be a longer cook, i whack down 8 or so unlit on the side and then pour over the lit chimney and adjust the vents,, seems to work for me, ( sometimes you will need more fuel for a longer cook)

I found those heat bead holders for each side pretty useless and gave them up,,

have taken to cooking stews, chilli in a camp oven on the webber adding wood once in a while, real good.
    Tangles KFC

do you take the feathers off the bird first or do they just burn away.

Quote Originally Posted by PinHead View Post
    do you take the feathers off the bird first or do they just burn away.
    classic,, that killed me that one lol....knowing your love of cremation,

"Pinheads Turkey Destruction Services"... Feathers free
    Tangles KFC