Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hook upgrades for Barra

Hook upgrades for Barra

Has anyone given the new Mustard Ultrapoint trebles a go? The model I am interested in is the 36329BLN. These are a 3x strong rating. I have been using Owner ST66 which I know are highly recommended as great upgrade hook for Barra but I am interested in the Mustards after reading about them. -thanks Richard

Re: Hook upgrades for Barra

I'm keen to know too Richard, I got a hold of some last week. They are sharp, the penetration would be great, because the wire diameter is a lot thinner than ST66s'. They feel very strong for the wire diameter. But only on water testing against barra will give true results.

Matt

Yes Matt, the better penetration is the thing that got my attention. I know that one of my favorite lures lost 6 barra over two different trips after initial hookup and I had upgraded it with the ST66's. Maybe a coincidence but it stood out in my mind after reading an article by Neil Schultz in BBB.

Be interested to see how you both go - I'm running a few Decoy YW-77s ( wide gape & short shank) just to see if there is better penetration because they are also finer wire The big plus is the increased integrity that you would get out of the short shank. They also make it easier to upgrade weight sensitive lures because they are significantly lighter than the ST66s

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Cheers, When you blokes upgrade your hooks to Owner trebles etc, do you upgrade the split rings also? Is this necessary? Thanks.

Do the splits as well buddy, a split will straighten just as wellas a treble.
    Owners are good, I use the Halco fish rings 4xx (cheaper than Owners and Decoys) andd have not lost a fish to a failed split using them.

Cheers BR65, Good information, much appreciated. I have not used lures or poppers previously and I am just starting to gather a few now. Best regards

i upgraded the trebles from standard to vmc size 4 6x, but not a great deal i can do about this.

& this is the beast, my sons 2nd & biggest barra on popper @ 94cm.

ron.
    reels screamin aboard Hyper- Active

Luke you are a legend, chip of the block for sure. A-n-d they keep getting bigger.
    Well done again. At least I picked that poppers twin brother, LOL, hope it works the same. cheers.

That would have been a great site, surface smack on that skitter pop from a +90, good stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by BR65 View Post
    That would have been a great site, surface smack on that skitter pop from a +90, good stuff!
    we have been getting heaps, lots from 65-94cm's. & still when 1 boofs right at your feet... farrrrrrrrk!!! puts the shits right up ya. these are saltwater barra it's just i could not find a thread in that section about hook upgrades.

i reckon that "poppering" for barra is really going to take off in times to come.
    already lost count of how many we have got on them

ron.
    reels screamin aboard Hyper- Active

has any1 seen or try'd the new decoy trebles ( cant remeber the exact name) but they are 3x stronger, thinner gauge and the hook curves back in itself sort of like a circle hook but without the bent in point. sorry hard to expalin,but the guy in the tackle store said they'r more snag resistant and a good upgrade treble for barra lures. same price as the ownwer st66
    JAYVEE
    No love its not new...i've had that reel for ages

I'd be worried about thinner guage hooks as a barra can occasionally straighten even an Owner ST66. Never have snagging problems with my barra lures as I have a Strikeback lure retriever...

If they're the same price, why wouldn't you just buy the Owner trebles?

Regs

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by jayvee View Post
    has any1 seen or try'd the new decoy trebles ( cant remeber the exact name) but they are 3x stronger, thinner gauge and the hook curves back in itself sort of like a circle hook but without the bent in point. sorry hard to expalin,but the guy in the tackle store said they'r more snag resistant and a good upgrade treble for barra lures. same price as the ownwer st66
    JAYVEE

Could be the YW-77s (Decoy) wide gape

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Hi Jayvee, just started using them last week so have only got 15 fish so far on them. appear to have better hook up ratio and haven't had any bend yet, but insufficient numbers to make a call yet. Also agree with Nagg, lighter so can be put onto weight sensitive lures like xraps, etc. Definitely worth a go. Still grab hold of sticks at every opportunity though so the snag theory doesn't seem to hold much water.
    cheers scott.