Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First boat

First boat

Hey guys, this is the sort of thing I started lookin at for me and the missus. Motor, set up and "mrs" friendly features was the initial attraction. It will be our first boat we have actuallty owned. Mainly bay/inlet use with the occasional outside trip for me and a mate, What do u think, views on ride, stability, motor, stayin dry & hull cracks from boaties who have had or been in one would be appreciated, cheers.

http://www.tradingpost.com.au/Marine...t=true&AdOnTop=
    Last edited by Pete Makra; 27-02-2010 at 07:07 PM. Reason: more info

Re: First boat

Hi Pete

Should be OK. Just make sure your bilge pump is big and working well.

Had a mate some years ago with a similar vessel from this maker and he learned that you need to keep a wary eye on the bottom esp along the keel. His missus asked him one trip why there was water above the floor and wetting her feet. They were in the bay at Robe in SA and got back in OK. He was able to get it welded up so it didnt leak; before he sold it. Maybe newer ones have less of these problems.

Has this been a lake and river boat, looks very clean?

Cheers
    Chimo
    What could go wrong.......................

Thumbs up Re: First boat

Pete
    Sold one of these recently For about that price. Good boat if all the gear is working. The only thing we had against it was the deck space. Fishing two was good but any more got a bit crowded. The boat itself was great handled some difficult situations with ease.

Cheers
    Daisy

Yep, looks good, nice rig, etec and a mackay trailer. I think this is a great first boat also comes with VHF. No more to spend.

Marty

Hi Pete

Had a savage 5.3mtr lancer some years ago,a good seakeeping hull,however did not like hard work,had to keep getting the cracks welded up to keep her seaworthy

Kind regards

hinchy

So Hinchy it wasn't just my friends boat!

Did yours let go on either side of the keel too?

Cheers
    Chimo

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Seaweed View Post
    Yep, looks good, nice rig, etec and a mackay trailer. I think this is a great first boat also comes with VHF. No more to spend.

Marty
    Thanks Marty, I thought/think it is OK as well but a few negative comments about keel/hull strength and cracking is starting to put me off a bit. Will keep looking I guess, cheers, Pete.

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy Burnett View Post
    Pete
    Sold one of these recently For about that price. Good boat if all the gear is working. The only thing we had against it was the deck space. Fishing two was good but any more got a bit crowded. The boat itself was great handled some difficult situations with ease.

Cheers
    Daisy
    Thanks Daisy, did you have any hull problems or cracking on yours, cheers Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Chimo View Post
    Hi Pete

Should be OK. Just make sure your bilge pump is big and working well.

Had a mate some years ago with a similar vessel from this maker and he learned that you need to keep a wary eye on the bottom esp along the keel. His missus asked him one trip why there was water above the floor and wetting her feet. They were in the bay at Robe in SA and got back in OK. He was able to get it welded up so it didnt leak; before he sold it. Maybe newer ones have less of these problems.

Has this been a lake and river boat, looks very clean?

Cheers
    Chimo
    Chimo, it does look in good nick aye, add the extra's plus the E-Tech and you can see why I liked it. BUT, I worry about other people's "bad press" about hull/keel cracking etc. Yours & Hinchy's comments are good to know and I must admit, I'm startin to lose a bit of interest in this particular model, cheers Pete

Quote Originally Posted by hinchy View Post
    Hi Pete

Had a savage 5.3mtr lancer some years ago,a good seakeeping hull,however did not like hard work,had to keep getting the cracks welded up to keep her seaworthy

Kind regards

hinchy
    Thaks Hinchy, mate I'm gettin a bit worried about this model now. I don't wanna buy someone elses problems. If I spend $20K+, i don't wanna get my feet wet !!!, Cheers Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Chimo View Post
    So Hinchy it wasn't just my friends boat!

Did yours let go on either side of the keel too?

Cheers
    Chimo
    Hi Chimo

On one side of keel and ribs coming off hull at various places

Hinchy

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Makra View Post
    Thaks Hinchy, mate I'm gettin a bit worried about this model now. I don't wanna buy someone elses problems. If I spend $20K+, i don't wanna get my feet wet !!!, Cheers Pete
    Hi Pete

I must say that it was a fairly good seaboat in its time [early 90's],full bow,good in a following sea,however it started to feel the pinch after a few hard years.I had it matched to a 90hp V4 Evinrude[could not kill the motor].
    Generally a little to light for continuous bar work and chop.

Hinchy

Hi Pete,

I went through a similar process a couple of years ago deciding on my new boat. I found research was the key. This site is great for advice from people with boating experience. Sites like http://www.marinews.com/ are good for boat tests, as are many magazines. $25,000 is a lot of money to spend to be disappointed with your decision. For that sort of money, I would seriously be considering buying new as opposed to used. You might be surprised what you can get for your money, as well as getting warranties on the motor, boat and accessories. You also don’t have to worry about how the boat was treated before you bought it. As an aside, from what I can see, the recommended power rating for motors on a Savage Ranger 455SF are from 40hp to 70hp. Therefore the 75hp ETEC is not within this range, which could cause issues with the hull. Also, consider what you will mainly be using the boat for. Runabouts like the Savage you looked at are good for weather protection, but the ride up the front of the boat is much less comfortable than, say, a side or centre console, which is usually further towards the rear. Also, if fishing is up near the top of your uses for the boat, a runabout style eats into usable fishing space. However, the usage of your boat is only something you can answer, but these answers will help greatly in your choice of style of boat. Look at brands like Formosa, Brooker, Horizon, etc to see what you get for your money. Then do a search on this site to see what owners of those brands say about their boats. This should narrow down your choices to ensure you get the appropriate boat.

Pete

For your $20 to $25K there are some very sound boats on good trailers with good motors.

You are limiting yourself severely by not considering fibreglass hulls like this http://boatpoint.ninemsn.com.au/boat...aspx?R=8133017

A hull like this will give a much softer ride and you dont have to worry about getting your wife's feet wet!

Cheers
    Chimo

Like Chimo has said.. look around and haggle like hell

http://boatpoint.ninemsn.com.au/boat...aspx?R=7982854
    Garry

Retired Honda Master Tech