Thread: Stuck Fish

Stuck Fish

Not sure if this has been posted before. Whatever

Kinda like that billfish that punchured that sub.

These are pictures of the floating load hose on the FPSO Girassol in Angola, Africa that was pierced by a blue marlin. Load operations were shut down for a few days while they replaced the hose. For reference, this terminal produces about 250k barrels of oil a day and this loading hose is approx 24in in diameter.

There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences. P.J. O'Rourke

Re: Stuck Fish

I wonder how the hell that happened amazing
    Cheers Axl

That's crazy. Maybe the marlin was just going too fast to react to the giant oil hose blocking his path.

Cheers,
    Kaidon
    Conservation NOT preservation!

....probably chasing & smashing bait around the pipeline...oops!

Drunk swimming!

anyone notice the first pick his bill has gone threw the black part of the hose but the last pick shows halfway threw orange???

Quote Originally Posted by joelmennie View Post
    anyone notice the first pick his bill has gone threw the black part of the hose but the last pick shows halfway threw orange???
    also floating oil hoses are not 24 inch in diametre,,, they may have a 24 inch ISIDE diametre,,, but the OD,,(outside diametre) would be around 40-48 inchs,,, the whole pic looks wrong the wall thickness of the bottom 2 pics do not really belong to a floating hose,,,, they are manufactured differently and you normally do not see any reinforcement so close to the outer cover,,,, ALSO,,, this particular hose is a lot greater than 24 inch ID,,,, its joined by flanges

but i agree,,, puncture area is different in the pics,,, so a good photoshop,,,,

the bill is even different in size comparasion to the fish,,,
    can it get any better??????????????,,,,,,,,,,,,,,http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgG_TxEPaQE

Quote Originally Posted by choppa View Post
    also floating oil hoses are not 24 inch in diametre,,, they may have a 24 inch ISIDE diametre,,, but the OD,,(outside diametre) would be around 40-48 inchs,,, the whole pic looks wrong the wall thickness of the bottom 2 pics do not really belong to a floating hose,,,, they are manufactured differently and you normally do not see any reinforcement so close to the outer cover,,,, ALSO,,, this particular hose is a lot greater than 24 inch ID,,,, its joined by flanges

but i agree,,, puncture area is different in the pics,,, so a good photoshop,,,,

the bill is even different in size comparasion to the fish,,,

Ahh Chop old mate.........it's for real......I'm going back offshore tommorow to work on a FSO for a few weeks (floating storage offtake) and when this picture was doing the rounds 18mths ago i was working offshore taliking to maitence co'rd about it and he said is was fairly common and he had worked on another FSO that had the same thing happen to it in Brazil......

They must be coming in at a rate off knots to smash the baitfish around the hoses and just F&%k it up and spear the hose.

Dan

yeh Dan,,, i'm not doubting the 1st pic,,, as you would expect a marlin of that size in comparasion with a standard floating hose OD to have the strength to actually pierce one of these,,, how far into the hose is a different story,,, some of these are fabric braided,,, some are steel,,, and as i can't get a eyeball on what type/manufacturer the hose is,, hard to say if the bill has penetrated all the way through to it's depth,,,, pic 2 & 3 tho,,,,,, nah
    can it get any better??????????????,,,,,,,,,,,,,,http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgG_TxEPaQE

Quote Originally Posted by Dan5 View Post
    Ahh Chop old mate.........it's for real......I'm going back offshore tommorow to work on a FSO for a few weeks (floating storage offtake) and when this picture was doing the rounds 18mths ago i was working offshore taliking to maitence co'rd about it and he said is was fairly common and he had worked on another FSO that had the same thing happen to it in Brazil......
    Dan
    Which FPSO Dan? I'm with Mermaid Marine and regularly do supply runs and offtakes to "4 Rainbow" & Modec Venture 11 out of Dampier. The amount of fish life around these and the Rigs is mind blowing, not surprised that the odd Marlin come unstuck. Have seen these photos before as well, I reckon the last 2 are of a different fish!

Quote Originally Posted by Richo1 View Post
    Which FPSO Dan? I'm with Mermaid Marine and regularly do supply runs and offtakes to "4 Rainbow" & Modec Venture 11 out of Dampier. The amount of fish life around these and the Rigs is mind blowing, not surprised that the odd Marlin come unstuck. Have seen these photos before as well, I reckon the last 2 are of a different fish!
    Going out to Conoco's Liberdade..........I did a few shutty's on the old modec venture 1 (skewer) years ago,Conoco's is a FSO and not powered we just sit the on the turret with a Azimuth 1800kw thruster keeping it into the breeze........Also go to all of COP's platforms and a few Ensco drill rigs now and again.

Dan

Have a safe one Dan, haven't been out to any of those ones yet.