Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Mondy & Awoonga-How High?

Mondy & Awoonga-How High?

Been watching the BOM weather radar site this morning, a lot more rain has been falling across the catchment area's of both lakes.

Will both lakes fill?? the way we saw Mondy come up in the last couple of weeks was sensational.

Could be a while before Mondy is ready to fish again, i spoke to Eric & Deb yesterday, who were out trying their luck. Report was very very hot and Eric said that in some area's you could smell the rotting vegetation, this action of course drags the oxygen from the water and the fish or any other animal that depends on oxygen via the water column, departs the area.

Cheers,
    John.

Re: Mondy & Awoonga-How High?

Kolan River at Springfield/Mt Wallaby is up 1.0m after this morning's rainfall. No doubt this will cause a further rise in Moduran...

No data yet on the Boyne River and its flow into Awoonga...though it's still raining there ATM...

the influx of rain is awsome news but with it all as obi said rotting vegitations is a prob lenthalls here has a bit of it too but no where near as much as the 2 big dams ,how long would we be looking at till the water quality gets back too a normal scenario,thats if the dams dont rise any more,i know lenthalls took nearly 12 months to recover from its refill after they raised the wall 2 years ago

Quote Originally Posted by warrior View Post
    the influx of rain is awsome news but with it all as obi said rotting vegitations is a prob lenthalls here has a bit of it too but no where near as much as the 2 big dams ,how long would we be looking at till the water quality gets back too a normal scenario,thats if the dams dont rise any more,i know lenthalls took nearly 12 months to recover from its refill after they raised the wall 2 years ago
    I think once the levels rose beyond the previous most recent high of 38% @ Mondy - we began to cover what was effectively new ground - with plenty of live vegetation ( not just grass) - & many more Sq/km ........ I feel that the problem will become bigger & recovery will be longer. ...... I hope I'm wrong

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    I think once the levels rose beyond the previous most recent high of 38% @ Mondy - we began to cover what was effectively new ground - with plenty of live vegetation ( not just grass) - & many more Sq/km ........ I feel that the problem will become bigger & recovery will be longer. ...... I hope I'm wrong

Chris
    The other side of that coin Chris is the fact there is also ALOT more water per 1m of rise the higher it goes!!
    It should in theroy at least be better filling over a month or two than what it would be filling over a week as you keep getting influshes of fresh high O2 water over a period of time...

Joe

http://www.sunwater.com.au/water_store.htm

This site has water levels for most QLD dams. Its usually about 24hours behind, but should give you a pretty good idea of what's happening with water levels.
    Hope that helps
    Steve

Here is the link to the Awoonga dam levels

Rain belted down again today

http://www.gawb.qld.gov.au/damlevels.html

Ally Jack

you guys are making me nervice only 14 days till we come up its a long way to eat donuts hope to here some good reports in the next week or so gazza

Quote Originally Posted by fin finder View Post
    you guys are making me nervice only 14 days till we come up its a long way to eat donuts hope to here some good reports in the next week or so gazza

Know how you feel mate. Me and the Mrs heading to Mondy on Wed. next week, and I already have 2 Mondy doughnuts "L"
    Steve

i'll be there in less than 3 weeks and i'm worried. Been looking forward to it for ages and now this...
    Grant

HHHmmm.........and the rain continues........just added a couple more weeks to my next trip to Mondy......according to Sunwater 54% I suspect it is a tad higher than that, inflows would have slowed down to a solid trickle me thinks.......is 60% on the cards
    Good Mates....Good Food.....Good Fishing....Priceless

Heavy Rain here at Calliope allnight. ..And it continues to fall. l think both Awoonga and Monduran shall rise a bit more

has any one been out for a fish or has the weather just been that bad i will be at awoonga in 11 days time im thinking do i need to come up with plan b gazza

Quote Originally Posted by Whitto View Post
    HHHmmm.........and the rain continues........just added a couple more weeks to my next trip to Mondy......according to Sunwater 54% I suspect it is a tad higher than that, inflows would have slowed down to a solid trickle me thinks.......is 60% on the cards

Gee Whitto - with this current rain event you wouldn't bet against 60% ...... who would have thought - but with a trip in 3 weeks time , I want it to F*@&!n STOP!!!

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by fin finder View Post
    has any one been out for a fish or has the weather just been that bad i will be at awoonga in 11 days time im thinking do i need to come up with plan b gazza
    11 days pm sent