Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Mondy & Awoonga-How High?

Re: Mondy & Awoonga-How High?

it's only 2 weeks untill my first trip now, I'm worried about the fishing but atleast I will finally get up there for a look around . Aslong as it is'nt pissing down rain while I'm there.I've got a cabin booked but I dont really want to be sitting in it drinking the whole time I think I need to start planning the next trip allready
    Grant

We are fast approaching the 7M mark for Mondy ..... probably get there today Thats a hell of an increase

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Monduran will reach 55% tonight (up 6.9m since the deluge began) and Awoonga has just gone past 77% (up 4.85m)....

So far Mondy has had inflows in excess of 175,000ML and Awoonga 231,000ML!

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    Gee Whitto - with this current rain event you wouldn't bet against 60% ...... who would have thought - but with a trip in 3 weeks time , I want it to F*@&!n STOP!!!

Chris
    Enough already.......I neeeeeeeeeeed to go Fushing.......I'm going stir crazy with all this indoor rubbish......I'll need a refresher course just to get back to basics
    Good Mates....Good Food.....Good Fishing....Priceless

Quote Originally Posted by Whitto View Post
    Enough already.......I neeeeeeeeeeed to go Fushing.......I'm going stir crazy with all this indoor rubbish......I'll need a refresher course just to get back to basics
    Mate, it's like riding a bike
    stubbie in one hand , twist top and pour
    The rest comes naturally
    Not to get technical...... but according to Chemistry, ALCOHOL IS A SOLUTION

went for a bike ride above awoonga over the weekend an pretty well the creeks are flowing like crazy. could have jumped on a body board and travelled 4-5 km's before hitting the dam. everywhere up there heavy under foot, and good falls still continuing like trev was saying. wish it would stop, i gotta get fish out of the hatchery and into the dam in the next 2 weeks.
    WHERES THEM BREAM?

Quote Originally Posted by Callop View Post
    Mate, it's like riding a bike
    stubbie in one hand , twist top and pour
    The rest comes naturally
    What is this "Riding a Bike" you speak of Dave.......A JDW in one hand and swill does not pose a problem......most forms of riding have ceased apart from my Boat, which I have caught myself sitting in for no apparent reason......it's time IBD wise but not Mondy wise
    Good Mates....Good Food.....Good Fishing....Priceless

Quote Originally Posted by gladbream View Post
    went for a bike ride above awoonga over the weekend an pretty well the creeks are flowing like crazy. could have jumped on a body board and travelled 4-5 km's before hitting the dam. everywhere up there heavy under foot, and good falls still continuing like trev was saying. wish it would stop, i gotta get fish out of the hatchery and into the dam in the next 2 weeks.
    God forbid u don't get the fingerlings away within the 2 week period, what happens? excuse my ignorance.

And, what can be expected if Awongee levels surpass the wall??

Have not fished there but both questions make me shudder.

Pete.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete62 View Post
    God forbid u don't get the fingerlings away within the 2 week period, what happens? excuse my ignorance.

And, what can be expected if Awongee levels surpass the wall??

Have not fished there but both questions make me shudder.

Pete.
    Did you see the pics last year when Lake Moondarra overflowed? Kids taking monster barra home in prams and trolleys that had gone over the wall, and not landed particularly well.
    They put nets up at Tinaroo after heaps of large barra went over after one large inflow, not too sure how successful they were. Bottom line, without nets or something similar a lot of large barra will go over the wall. I have no idea on a percentage, don,t know anyone who really does, but a lot of fish will go over.

Tinaroo has lost fish several times, but the incredible growth rates of impoundment barra means it doesn,t take long for them to be replaced by new monsters.

In my opinion, a good flush probably causes short term pain and long term gain, imagine the baitfish in a full dam once it settles down.

pete
    the fish will not be released into awoonga in any fashion that will affect survival rates in any way. the release of the fingerlings probably will not reach the dam wall in the positions selected, and secondly the barra fingerlings tend to move upstream in events of inflow, hence away from the dam wall (no real problem releasing fish in the middle of inflow - perfect example is every stocked area in the fitzroy basin in the past 2 years). the main issue lies with:
    1. the timing of release
    2. space available in the hatchery. remember we have had many years experience doing this, and have witnessed these fish from egg to release size (i know just about every fish that move in our tanks similar to that of everyone else in my position).
    it has been predicted that the dam will reach 38m by the weekend, and it would not surprise me if it goes further.

yes the dam could do with a good flush in my eyes, and obvious there will be fish going for a cordless bungie, but more water in the dam equates to ore fingerlings released annually. no harm in that as i would think everyone would agree on.

hope this gives you some more insight on fingerling habits and stocking activities. cheers
    kh
    WHERES THEM BREAM?

Posted on Sunwaters site this morning, 3/3/2010.

Lake Awoonga--------80.8%

Monduran--------------57%

Wow.

Cheers,
    John.

Hi Kurt, any fish released at the moment should grow like the clappers as the dam is overflowing with tiny bait fish. I've been out there at night lately and whenever you shine a light on the water it erupts with tiny fish showering out of the water. Most of these fish are still small enough for a baby barra to fit in his mouth so food shouldn't be a problem for them. If I can help in anyway with the release just give me a call.
    cheers scott.

Quote Originally Posted by vet View Post
    Hi Kurt, any fish released at the moment should grow like the clappers as the dam is overflowing with tiny bait fish. I've been out there at night lately and whenever you shine a light on the water it erupts with tiny fish showering out of the water. Most of these fish are still small enough for a baby barra to fit in his mouth so food shouldn't be a problem for them. If I can help in anyway with the release just give me a call.
    cheers scott.
    Hi Scotty, sounds like a healthy food chain, good to see.

How is the big screen telly going on the front of the Polly.

Pete.

yep scott
    may need some help but i will catch up soon to let you now, prior to the event. excellent numbers available at the moment, and nearing stocking size..

thanx for the offer.

cheers
    kh
    WHERES THEM BREAM?

Quote Originally Posted by Obi _ Wan View Post
    Posted on Sunwaters site this morning, 3/3/2010.

Lake Awoonga--------80.8%

Monduran--------------57%

Wow.

Cheers,
    John.
    you must nearly be able to launch off the road at the mondy dirt ramp in the photo from the other day looked like it was not far off and has gone up about another 4 percent

shane