Thread: perch (redfins)

perch (redfins)

just out of curiosity, how widespread are perch in australia?
    what sort of size they get too? i heard they can reach double figures.
    Thanks
    Doug.

Re: perch (redfins)

i know they are up to northern nsw border.there are good fish caught in macintyre and gwydir systems plenty 35cm +
    Jim

Hi Doug,
    When I was a kid in Bendigo, I caught one that went 62cm, and one at 45 in Tassy a couple of years back on holidays.
    Cheers
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by snodger 08 View Post
    Hi Doug,
    When I was a kid in Bendigo, I caught one that went 62cm, and one at 45 in Tassy a couple of years back on holidays.
    Cheers
    Steve

Hey i grew up in Bendigo......I caught one at Lake Eppalock when i was kid and it weighed 4 1/2 lbs.....and one at Harcourt res that was 3lb.........we never measured fish back then it was always cleaned weight,

used to get a lot of 1/2lber's in the local drinking water dam also........sort of grew up fishin for reddies...

apparently the pro carp netters used to get them up to 12 pound in Cow swamp and lake albacutcha....i never saw any near that big myself.......there was one on the wall at a pub in Wangaratta that was about 8lbs from the King Dam......

Hog back spinner's and dickson's used to be the go.....My old man used to nail em while fly fishing for trout.

Cheers Dan

Quote Originally Posted by doug stone View Post
    just out of curiosity, how widespread are perch in australia?
    what sort of size they get too? i heard they can reach double figures
    We have another perch in Australia, Doug. Its called the giant perch or more commonly, the barramundi.

A native fish inhabiting many lakes and estuaries of northern Australia.

Fish are regularly caught up to 1.2m (4')and over 30kg (66lbs) and larger ones are possible....

The one in my avatar is 103cm (3' 5")....

Regs

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Dan5 View Post
    Hey i grew up in Bendigo......I caught one at Lake Eppalock when i was kid and it weighed 4 1/2 lbs.....and one at Harcourt res that was 3lb.........we never measured fish back then it was always cleaned weight,

used to get a lot of 1/2lber's in the local drinking water dam also........sort of grew up fishin for reddies...

apparently the pro carp netters used to get them up to 12 pound in Cow swamp and lake albacutcha....i never saw any near that big myself.......there was one on the wall at a pub in Wangaratta that was about 8lbs from the King Dam......

Hog back spinner's and dickson's used to be the go.....My old man used to nail em while fly fishing for trout.

Cheers Dan

i had them up to 4lbs which in the uk is a very big fish......if i caught one twice that size i dunno what i would do . when i'm over i might give them a shot if i get the time.