Thread: Trim & Tilt problem

Trim & Tilt problem

Hey Ausfishers,

recently I installed a CMC power trim/tilt unit for my Suzuki DT40 on my Horizon 415 Easy Fisher Runabout.

Followed the instructions carefully and mounted the unit correctly as per the manual.

//Background information

Boat is approx 4.2m with forward controls/steer and hence is a bit 'bow heavy' from the start.
    I have approx 40L of fuel in the back close to the transom with a 15kg battery as well sitting up against the transom as well.

//Problem

The prop seems to get cavitation way before i can trim the motor to bring the bow up out of the water. With the motor trimmed out and planing (pushing the bow into the water) The cavitation plate is just skimming on the top of the water (which i though was correct)

Before the trim tilt system was installed the cav plate on the motor was sitting level with the bottom of the hull and trimmed out to the 4th hole (the optimum position for my boat after a lot of trial and error).

Now with the trim tilt system installed the motor sits 6" back from the transom and the cav plate approx 2-1/2 inches higher than the bottom of the boat. I have attached photos.

Before i start any major engineering disasters
    • cutting the Actual CMC unit to drop the motor height
    • modifying the transom to lower the CMC unit so that the clamps can clear the top of the transom when tilted up etc etc
    I would like to know if maybe fitting a hydrofoil may help rectify this problem by keeping more water on top of the prop and hence allowing me to trim up a bit more?

Sorry for the long ramblings but thought more information may be better than less in this instance.

Cheers

The Moose

Re: Trim & Tilt problem

560c Bar Crusher "Overtime"

Hi Moose
    had the same problem with my cmc unit on a 3.7 edgetracker 30hp 3cyl yamaha had to cut the rear moter mount plate down till it stoped cavating.off hand i think i cut 1.5 to 2 inches at .5 inch at a time till things were right a bit of a pain but it worked . talked to the bloke from cmc about it he had never heard of the problem . just make shore the motor screw clamps cleer the transom on the boat and that you cut it tru to top of the transom
    good luck
    johno
    ps mine is great now it has been cut down

hi nothing will fix the problem apart from lowering the cav plate level or below the hull, its too high now thats for sure, good luck cr

Hi Moose
    I'd be interested in how you go as I've just had a CMC unit installed on mine on a similar size boat but haven't had a chance to get it in the water yet.
    Good luck
    Brad O

I think you will be wanting the cav plate to be 1 inch above the bottom of the hull. I would probably cut 1 1/4 inch at first and then more if needed.

Cheers
    Chris

Thanks for the advice guys,
    looks like I will cut the unit to drop the height of the motor.

Will report back once it's done and give you an update.

Cheers
    George

Hi Moose,

I have been considering putting one of these on my Brooker 410 Fisherman with 3 cyl Yammy. Where did you buy yours from Moose and what price did you pay.

Still trying to decide if I should buy one of these or upgrade to the new 30 yammy 4st with all the bells and whistles.

Cheers

Michael.

Quote Originally Posted by mcchaddy View Post
    Hi Moose,

I have been considering putting one of these on my Brooker 410 Fisherman with 3 cyl Yammy. Where did you buy yours from Moose and what price did you pay.

Still trying to decide if I should buy one of these or upgrade to the new 30 yammy 4st with all the bells and whistles.

Cheers

Michael.
    Hi Michael,
    got the unit from CMC just google it and brings up the link, he's in QLD. Just dropped the boat into my mechanic and told me that no two boats are the same so some adjustment is required for each. He reckons its an easy fix and will be a great addition once he adjusts it so I should be back on the water to test next week (unfortunately he's booked this weekend)

I'll let you know what was done and the outcome but the unit is beautifully made and contructed. I too was looking at upgrading the motor originally but this is still a cheaper outcome as the unit was $990 delivered to my door and the fix from the mechanic will be approx $300 so the difference between my 2 stroke and the equivalent 4 stroke motor with the trim was about $4500...

Still more economical for me to go down this route but my 2 stroke only has 40hrs on it.

Horses for courses i spose.

Cheers
    George

It does look to high!.
    looking at the first picture it looks like the bracket is to high and needs to be dropped.
    I wouldnt cut anything till you hear all the options!!
    Good luck.

i wanted one of these but why is it that in the us they are $495 us and $995 Aus
    and cmc won't allow them to ship to australia because there is a dealer here, we always get done over everything is cheaper in the USA.

You can buy them direct from Basspro in the states. $495 + $60 shipping(to Australia). I have contacted basspro and they said there is no restrictions on where they sell them to.

Cheers

Michael.

Silver Moose

Any update. I've recently tested mine (been a bit slow because of all the rain here) and I'm having similar problems. Which is a bit annoying as CMC installed mine!

Regards

Just a quick note to say thanks for all that have given me some advice.

There was no way that I could drop the brackets down with the unit and still have the motor clamps clear the transom to tilt the motor. Ended up selling the unit and purchasing a Panther Trim & Tilt unit.

Mounted it, perfect height (started with the cav plate being level with the bottom of the boat) and voila... Transformed the boat immediately. I get great Holeshot and the ability to fully trim the boat depending on the conditions.

Cheers All

You should have been able to get a full refund. Unit sold not fit for the purpose it was intended. Oh well looks like you got it sorted in the end. US v Oz seems like there is a fair bit of profit in these.