Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The best braid on the market?

Re: The best braid on the market?

I use Jigman is amazing stuff and at last price check was $129 for 300m of 80lb and comes in 50 lb . This was at our local in Rockhampton use to be Tackle world but Barra Jacks Store now
    JT
    VHF CHANNEL 21
    CALL SIGN : JT OR SC552(social club member)

There is a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot

I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be without sponges

Up here we Use Hussar as baits for real RED FISHS (SHSIIFDER)

Quote Originally Posted by Horse View Post
    Fins is great for knot strength and very reliable but quite thick. It normally breaks well above stated B/S. I would have classified it as a true braid. It is quite different to Stren Microfuse (great line) which is braided then fused.
    As for Whiplash for me the jury is still out. It is VERY thin for its strength but is slippery for knots (cuts leaders etc) and is probably closer to its true B/S than many. It is good value though.
    It all depends on what you want it for. If you are going to pull 15kgs of drag over it then I would pick fins but if you want to pack a strong line on a smaller reel then Whiplash suits well. Most of the others fit in between
    Hi Horse

Fins is most definitely not a true braid - Its impregnated with a resin which forms an integral part of its performance characteristics -
    Stren Microfuse is more inline with platil millennium - uses heat to bond the dyneema fibres

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

YGK also have a Castman braid - same as the Jigman but it is white with a purple marker every 10m and an orange marker every 50m

Personally, I prefer braids that break near their rated strength, as it makes it easier to choose the smallest diameter for the job. The current rating system that many manufacturers use is a shambles.

I have found virtually most of the Japanese braids to be the best if you want to call it that. Any of the YGK, Daiwa sensor, Sunline, Yamatoyo and Varivas to be very good. Of the lot my pick would have to be the Varivas products. Knot strength, casting ability, hardiness and diameter I think has no equal. They make umpteen different braids from 10lb Sea Bass, to 44lb Big one casting braid to 130lb GT stoppers. Most being Super PE you will get better performance but are traditionally rather expensive.

In relation to Strewth's comment about breakig strain in
    shambles is one the money. Most of the Japanese braids will break on or very close to it's provided figure, hence giving the appearence of fine diameter. Most of the American products i.e Fireline will break far above stated e.g 14lb will break well in excess of 30lb. Australian products like Harro's Bionic is much the same,far stronger than stated.

In my opinion there are braids. And then there are super PE braids
    two very different products

dan

Quote Originally Posted by dan204 View Post
    I have found virtually most of the Japanese braids to be the best if you want to call it that. Any of the YGK, Daiwa sensor, Sunline, Yamatoyo and Varivas to be very good. Of the lot my pick would have to be the Varivas products. Knot strength, casting ability, hardiness and diameter I think has no equal. They make umpteen different braids from 10lb Sea Bass, to 44lb Big one casting braid to 130lb GT stoppers. Most being Super PE you will get better performance but are traditionally rather expensive.

In relation to Strewth's comment about breakig strain in
    shambles is one the money. Most of the Japanese braids will break on or very close to it's provided figure, hence giving the appearence of fine diameter. Most of the American products i.e Fireline will break far above stated e.g 14lb will break well in excess of 30lb. Australian products like Harro's Bionic is much the same,far stronger than stated.

In my opinion there are braids. And then there are super PE braids
    two very different products

dan

Couldn't agree more ...... The Japanese do make the best braids -

from my own experiences ...... I found most Japanese PE Braids to be of high quality (wont buy Sunlines Super PE again)
    Cant say the same about the american made products - just about to run some Shimano Power Pro

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    Couldn't agree more ...... The Japanese do make the best braids -

from my own experiences ...... I found most Japanese PE Braids to be of high quality (wont buy Sunlines Super PE again)
    Cant say the same about the american made products - just about to run some Shimano Power Pro

Chris
    G'day Chris
    out of curiosity what problems have you had with the sunline super PE? I have got two of the bream rods loaded with 6 lb and a Sustain 6000 loaded with 30 lb, I haven't seen how the line goes for longevity yet so that will be interesting but mostly happy with the performance thus far
    dan
    Last edited by dan204; 25-02-2010 at 11:22 PM. Reason: Typo

Quote Originally Posted by dan204 View Post
    G'day Chris
    out of curiosity what problems have you had with the sunline super PE? I have got two of the bream rods loaded with 6 lb and a Sustain 6000 loaded with 30 lb, I haven't seen how the line goes for longevity yet so that will be interesting but mostly happy with the performance thus far
    dan
    Shock breakages .......... a sharp jolt by a fish & BANG!!! .... line snaps - I've had pretty small 50cm barra break 30lb Sunline PE on the jump ....... brand new line & no other damage ....- broke between the rod tip & the fish

Also could break 50lb - pulling out a wind knot - you just shouldn't be able to break 50 in your hands

3 (2x30 & 1x50lb) spools bought during the second half of 09 & all 3 had problems ..... almost immediately

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

"Also could break 50lb - pulling out a wind knot - you just shouldn't be able to break 50 in your hands"

You should be knee deep in fingers before that happens.........

Muzz

Shock breakages .......... a sharp jolt by a fish & BANG!!! .... line snaps - I've had pretty small 50cm barra break 30lb Sunline PE on the jump ....... brand new line & no other damage ....- broke between the rod tip & the fish

Also could break 50lb - pulling out a wind knot - you just shouldn't be able to break 50 in your hands

3 (2x30 & 1x50lb) spools bought during the second half of 09 & all 3 had problems ..... almost immediately

Chris
    Bugger! Was it breaking at the knot or just somewhere in the line? As far as superPE goes in the larger sizes it is quite coarse and I quickly found when pulling some knots down tight the braid was rubbing on itself hence weakening the line. I would be calling EJ Todd and wanting replacement line!! Could be a bad batch maybe?

Depends if you're happy using Spectra or Dyneema, and if diameter is critical. If you like the thin but expensive Dyneema's, then take the advice of Nagg and Co, but if you're more into value plus performance, go for Fins or Woodstock.
    I have tried plenty of both and Fins and Woodstock are reliable. Have had very iffy experinces with PowerPro, seems good in the lighter classes but 30 lb and up, don't bother.
    Woodstock is available from http://www.pcwi.com.au/fishing/index.htm
    While you're on Pauls site, check out the data he has gathered from his own unbiased research on all types of fishing lines.
    Tim

have been using power pro, just awesome.

ron.
    reels screamin aboard Hyper- Active

I'm not a fan of Fins anymore.

It is fairly thick and squashes flat on the spool, which reduces its castability.
    Although with 80 lb I guess you wont be casting it.
    I have also used Fireline for a number of years, but at the moment my favourite is Hi-Seas Grand Slam Braid.
    It stays round and is thinner than most other braids of the same strength, much thinner than Fins.
    I got mine at 30% off for members at BCF , but I don't think they carry it anymore?
    I see one online place has it for 89.95 for 300 yds of 80 , I'm not sure if that is a good price or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim_N View Post
    Depends if you're happy using Spectra or Dyneema, and if diameter is critical. If you like the thin but expensive Dyneema's, then take the advice of Nagg and Co, but if you're more into value plus performance, go for Fins or Woodstock.
    I have tried plenty of both and Fins and Woodstock are reliable. Have had very iffy experinces with PowerPro, seems good in the lighter classes but 30 lb and up, don't bother.
    Woodstock is available from http://www.pcwi.com.au/fishing/index.htm
    While you're on Pauls site, check out the data he has gathered from his own unbiased research on all types of fishing lines.
    Tim

Tim ....... I guess in the end its all about perceived value and the application. - Maybe my personal criteria and expectations are probably somewhat narrower than most others.
    When using small baitcasters - you quickly work out what works & what doesn't - Braids that are round , reasonably thin , supple & lay well are for me critical ....... the barra quickly sort out the other bits.
    Lines like Fins , Fireline , Code Red , millennium , whiplash , microfuse etc fall over for one reason or another and are to me probably better suited to spin reels ....... ( my trial of Power pro is for spin as I can already see potential issues with it on baitcasters). I'm yet to find a cheaper fused multi filament line that I've used on a baitcaster & not removed

On the otherhand ...... if i was snapper fishing i certainly wouldn't be so fussy

BTW ..... I use Fireline almost exclusively for my light spin reels

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Tim ....... I guess in the end its all about perceived value and the application. - Maybe my personal criteria and expectations are probably somewhat narrower than most others.
    When using small baitcasters - you quickly work out what works & what doesn't - Braids that are round , reasonably thin , supple & lay well are for me critical ....... the barra quickly sort out the other bits.
    Lines like Fins , Fireline , Code Red , millennium , whiplash , microfuse etc fall over for one reason or another and are to me probably better suited to spin reels ....... ( my trial of Power pro is for spin as I can already see potential issues with it on baitcasters). I'm yet to find a cheaper fused multi filament line that I've used on a baitcaster & not removed

On the otherhand ...... if i was snapper fishing i certainly wouldn't be so fussy

BTW ..... I use Fireline almost exclusively for my light spin reels

Chris
    nagg,

i have been using 30lb power pro on a curado 200e5 for a while now with no issue's at all. i have been getting some very big barra using lures, it's great stuff.

ron.
    reels screamin aboard Hyper- Active

Quote Originally Posted by ronnien View Post
    nagg,

i have been using 30lb power pro on a curado 200e5 for a while now with no issue's at all. i have been getting some very big barra using lures, it's great stuff.

ron.
    Without spooling it - it feels a bit wiry & stiff ......... might try it though as I have a 300M spool of 30lb

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO