Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: DSLR Camera for Fishing

Ausfish Platinum Member whiteman's Avatar

Re: DSLR Camera for Fishing

Dicko, 250+ on that shutter. Also, if you are going to continue photographing this fitness freak's profile, you need to get handy with the Photoshop liquify/warp tool to show his girl he really does have a 6-pack! Otherwise cut the shot so that the subject is in left 1/3 of frame.

Ausfish Platinum Member scuttlebutt's Avatar

Devo, also think about whether you will want to do some underwater shots in the future (they seem to be all the rage in the mags lately).

I was tossing up whether to go DSLR or stick with point and shoot, ended up sticking with p&s. Got a Canon G10 and an underwater housing. Not cheap, but cheaper than an SLR with similar housing. Can also take good pics above water whilst in the housing though I tend not to.

The SLR's have bigger sensors so will take a better pic in low light, and give better results with high ISO.

For my use though, mainly fishing in sunlight with ISO no less than 200 the results are pretty good, and the G10 has full control over aperture, exposure, ISO etc. The G10 has since been replaced with the G11 that has a flip-out screen too.

The underwater pics work out pretty nice:

Have you put a polarising lens cover on

The water looked a little flat and reflections.

Polarising lens cover can help and worth going good quality along with a UV to protect lense element.

Ausfish Platinum Member scuttlebutt's Avatar

I think you need a new keyboard cormorant, but no, those pics don't have any filter. To me the reflection from the surface adds to the pic and I wouldn't want to wipe it out.

Hey Skuttlebut, I already have an underwater point and shoot camera and I find taking underwater shots to be extremely difficult to take. You need something that takes the picture very quickly.

For everyone else, I ended up with a Canon 500D with a polarising filter (forget the lens). To say the images are better then my Panasonic 10 megapixiel Lumix is a massive understatement. Theupgrade is sensational and if you love catch and release fishing and just want pics I would highly reccomend one.

Just need to get it back of the missus who loves it as well. I will post up some pics if Bowen is still here after the cyclone!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by devocean View Post
    Hey Skuttlebut, I already have an underwater point and shoot camera and I find taking underwater shots to be extremely difficult to take. You need something that takes the picture very quickly.

For everyone else, I ended up with a Canon 500D with a polarising filter (forget the lens). To say the images are better then my Panasonic 10 megapixiel Lumix is a massive understatement. Theupgrade is sensational and if you love catch and release fishing and just want pics I would highly reccomend one.

Just need to get it back of the missus who loves it as well. I will post up some pics if Bowen is still here after the cyclone!!!!
    Canon has introduced a 550D just recently and seems to be quite an upgrade from the 500D with a lot of its features coming from the 7D! Anyhow, you won't be dissapointed with your choice.
    "holy sh!t, did you see that?"

Quote Originally Posted by scuttlebutt View Post
    I think you need a new keyboard cormorant, but no, those pics don't have any filter. To me the reflection from the surface adds to the pic and I wouldn't want to wipe it out.

I don't have full feeling in a few fingertips so keyboard is sort of Ok and I go through a few as I can hear how hard I'm bashing the keys but they still cop a bashing. I have a keyboard that beeps with every keystroke but that gives me the shits . The computer in the shed has a few keys gone which happens when you clean it with the compressor. If I wasn't so lazy I would do em in word and spell check em.

When I re-read em I generally edit em but yeah my fingers are like lightning