Thread: toonumbar dam nsw

toonumbar dam nsw

Has anyone have any reports of the fishing at the dam at toonumbar dam.
    It shows that is at 100% after recent rains. Reports show that only bass are caught there. How do they go after heavy rains? Thinking of going down there around monday for a few days.

Wink Re: toonumbar dam nsw

G/day

Dont know if this will catch you prior to departure. Toonumbar I know quite well and it is seldom less than 100% full, considerable fish kills have depleted the stocked bass over the years. Mammoth fish kills have also occurred owing to fish going over the spillway.

Best advice I have received concerning fishing this dam is to remove grassy tussocks along high water mark and lob them into the water, sand crickets will attempt survival by swimming to water surface. Catch the critters and use for bait on unleaded lines around weed margins.

Have seen some success with trolled lures.

Its a pretty spot to just enjoy the scenery.

Louie

Re: toonumbar dam nsw

Last i heard the dam was fishing very well. Good surface bite early and late find the schools deeper once the suns up.
    Never heard of a fish kill out there though?? and i live less than 30km's from the dam......
    The fish go over the wall every winter to spawn but most are put back in via catching them from below the wall and returning to the dam thanks to the local fishing club/stocking group!!

thanks guys, sounds like a nice place. I got a broken ankle so I wont be able to do much but sit, fish & drink. I will let you know how we go.

Quote Originally Posted by Archer View Post
    Last i heard the dam was fishing very well. Good surface bite early and late find the schools deeper once the suns up.
    Never heard of a fish kill out there though?? and i live less than 30km's from the dam......
    The fish go over the wall every winter to spawn but most are put back in via catching them from below the wall and returning to the dam thanks to the local fishing club/stocking group!!
    I have been maintaining the storage level recording instrumentation and downstream hydrographic recorder at this location for the last 14 years, unfortunately Ive seen large quantities of bass dead in the pools below the dam wall.

Fish kills occur when the dam inverts and oxygen depleted water is displaced to the surface. A tragedy that has occurred on at least 2 occasions that I am aware of, leaves a bad taste in the mouth when fish that have gone belly up are floating on the surface, especially when they are the mature stock.

I hope I wont see it happen again.

Louie

hi louie
    thanks for the info. When was the last kill? Also is the water clear now and still overflowing?
    Also are there any yellabelly or cod in the dam?

Quote Originally Posted by LOUIE View Post
    I have been maintaining the storage level recording instrumentation and downstream hydrographic recorder at this location for the last 14 years, unfortunately Ive seen large quantities of bass dead in the pools below the dam wall.

Fish kills occur when the dam inverts and oxygen depleted water is displaced to the surface. A tragedy that has occurred on at least 2 occasions that I am aware of, leaves a bad taste in the mouth when fish that have gone belly up are floating on the surface, especially when they are the mature stock.

I hope I wont see it happen again.

Louie
    Well there ya go learn something everyday. I didnt know we had fish kills at the dam ever!!!
    Theres always a few deaths below the walls come spring due to large numbers of fish getting stuck and basically running out of available food sources but not what i would call "fish kills" as such.

There are Eastern cod in the dam but not many infact i only know of 2 being caught and i have one of them!! Illegal to even fish for them there more a bycatch when chasing Bass. I know which snag one of the bigger easterns lives on as he/she owes me about $200.00 worth of surface lures!!
    Im sure there are more than that caught...i dont really fish out there often as the local rivers are more my scene.
    No yellows basically its a Bass only dam.

Joe

Fished there several times in excess of 10 years ago and was a great place for Bass. Always was good size Bass as well and if you lobbed onto a school it was great fun. Have seen locals use the sand crickets and knock up catching them. Maybe things have changed a bit by the sounds? Still a nice place.