Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Confessions of a Barraholic (Mondy)

Confessions of a Barraholic (Mondy)

OK .... I admit it - I'm a hopeless barraholic.

With the predicted continual influx of water ..... & an itch that wasn't scratched during Summer Sensations trip , I decided on a last minute dash to Mondy .

On arrival - I was pleased to see Mr Teflon (Brian) setting up camp ..... & after a quick chat & welcome beer - I was off in deteriorating conditions. Arriving at the dirt ramp I was amazed at how much the lake had risen in a week & half - Hell it was now a good cast to hit the opposite bank ......... Heading up river past the remnants of the main basin island (just tree tops now) , through the island cut through ( Also just trees) I decided on a look at South B . It became quickly evident that the arm was suffering from poor water quality with some bays exhibiting weed breakdown & rancid smelling water. - - - Note : Pepper point is now 150M away from the tree ...... & the point is now a double island. Yes there is a lot of water there. After looking around for a couple of hours in pouring rain plus being totally uninspired I decided to go & see if I could scratch that itch
    On arrival to my chosen location I was pleasantly surprised to see quality water conditions & reasonably clear - and with some activity in a newly flooded area I started to throw a bills bug mice bug - second cast I was monstered on 20lb spin gear & with sheer contempt the barra rampaged through the tree line which separated the creek & flat (gone!!!) . OK put the 20lb spin gear down , remove the slick rig on my 30lb baitcast outfit & replace it another Mice bug. Cast - rip rip ..... BOOF! - #^@& - missed Another couple of cast , BOOF! but this time shes connected - no jump & just like the other fish this big girl also charged through the tree branches and into the creek ...... F*@& another BB donated - Tie on another BB ..... Cast - CRASH!.... on & off - Another couple of casts - Rip rip - pause BOOF!!! ...... & connected (this fish was huge) with a big bow wave as it ran the opposite direction to the others - though to more danger.... I've quickly free spooled but she kept running - once in more open waters I've upped the drag & began to put the hurt on - then that sinking feeling when everything goes slack ...... retrieving with no weight - bugger the line had parted (frayed). ----- there goes number 3 - - not too long after she or one of the fish hooked earlier was seen jumping trying to dislodge the lure.

OK - out comes the elephant gun ! - 50lb braid & my last bills bug ...... After around 30mins of casting with not so much of a swirl & increasing rain ...... I moved off the flat & rounded the bend & into the creek proper & was greeted with the unforgettable smell of barra - discoloured water with a clear transition between brown & green waterAttachment 56312 - lots of debris / litter / trees coming down. Best of all barra could be seen rolling in the debris line. I then had a fright when a barra boofed something off the surface not 5 feet away & then another & another ....... I've cast to the position of the last boof & instant hookup & rejection. I've then seen another barra roll , made the cast & BOOF!! on for about 2 seconds & gone ..... This continued for another 15 mins before I finally landed a 100cm fish closely followed by a 103cm ...... Click image for larger version. 

Name:	103cm Mondy.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	87.5 KB 
ID:	56313 - Attachment 56318 (unfortunately water damage to one my cameras) & I wasn't too keen of using my SLR ..... I still managed to get a couple of shots. Eventually in deteriorating light , I decided to leave & return to the scene of the crime the following morning.
    That evening - I told Brian about this memorable situation & suggested that he join me the next morning.
    Well overnight - the situation changed ..... the flow slowed , waters cleared - we both missed a couple of fish on surface & we both left the area to pursue other locations . Later that afternoon returned but things remained relatively quiet with only 1 fish that chased a burned bill bug that was fouled snapping at it 3 or four times.
    That evening we caught up with Pete & Kyle for a Latte - Boags (thanks Pete) and a chat........ great to hear that Kyle had managed what could be the main contender for smallest barra of the year - but its still a donut breaker (Pete reckons only just)
    The following morning Brian & I decided to return & see if the fish would be over the flats at sunrise ...... unfortunately each session fish activity progressively diminished & we both left to look elsewhere .
    I checked out several bays in the lower reaches of the dam over the course of the morning & while impressed with what may be fruitful locations in the months to come I was fairly uninspired. It was interesting to see Wiggle bay about to become part of the main basin Attachment 56314
    Understandably - I returned to Jacks ( fish were there & the water quality was the best) ....... Unfortunately activity was minimal except for 1 fish that opened up lighter gauge hooks on a popper - For the past couple of days Brian & I had noticed fish holding in the main creek bed & sounding out the area - I thought about targeting these fish with Berkley power mullets , Storm Suspending shads & swim shads....... As I began to position the boat , Brian arrived & I explained my intentions - I think he wished me luck & moved off.
    now dont you just love it when a plan comes off - Third cast & I'm on ...... a real feisty fish that didn't want to come to the net - but I eventually landed a fish that hit the mat at 99cm Attachment 56315 - I was ecstatic as Brian took the photos for me. Attachment 56319
    not 10 mins later I hook up again to a fish that blitzed straight to a nearby tree hitting it so hard that this termite infested tree was literally obliterated at water level - by the time I made it over to the tree she had wrapped herself around the trunk below the surface & the hooks were pulled. Brian now started to use the same tactic & it was here during our discussion that I missed another fish on a suspending shad ..... chafed leader.
    As things quietened - I decided to sound the area & so did Brian .... it was clear that the fish had moved off. We both went back to doing the surface thingy where Brian had a big fish swipe at his popper. I then had a fish that missed on the boof , followed by o big fish that connected for about 2 seconds & was gone - Brian heard the commotion on the other side of the tree line & then joined me in the creek....... but that was it - with a dash out of the trees not desirable we both left to return to camp for a beer & fire........ we had both decided to forgo a fish this morning & headed home.

All up ... it was tough trip with perhaps my most unforgettable session in my short barra fishing days - My itch was scratched .... With better hook retention - certainly another 8-10 fish were on the cards ........ but hey - that's surface fishing. 3 of 4 bills mice bugs were sadly donated - but thats always on the cards when you fish this type of terrain.
    With water conditions deteriorating rapidly along with an increase to nearly 50%Attachment 56316 ..Attachment 56317 main point in Rainforest bay .... that may be it for at least a few weeks - but will I be able to keep my IBD at bay for that long
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Re: Confessions of a Barraholic (Mondy)

Nice one Chris... you guys are certainly lucky to be able to attack the dam so frequantly at this time....its great to see you guys smack em again good old Jacks hey man I wish I could get there.....

Well done mate

Well done you guys,top report Chris,your sharing of tactics,methods are second to none.Top stuff. Must be like fishing a dam for the first time now hey?
    Paulo

Top shelf stuff Chris, well done.

Those surface bites are something that sticks in your mind forever.

In those circumstances you certainly would not want to be small and swimmimg around in those waters.

I assume that the fish on the mat shots are of the 99cm & 103cm fish?? please confirm. Unfortunately we will not be able to count the one that you lost with the drowned camera unless you can save the pic in the camera.

Cheers,
    John.

Quote Originally Posted by Obi _ Wan View Post
    Top shelf stuff Chris, well done.

Those surface bites are something that sticks in your mind forever.

In those circumstances you certainly would not want to be small and swimmimg around in those waters.

I assume that the fish on the mat shots are of the 99cm & 103cm fish?? please confirm. Unfortunately we will not be able to count the one that you lost with the drowned camera unless you can save the pic in the camera.

Cheers,
    John.
    Thanks John

Yeh the 99 & 103 ....... Understand the rules mate - these things happen .... trying to use normal cameras in the rain is madness - specially when you have to set photos up

That little afternoon session was a dream - (I was thinking about it for days) - Thankfully I had the right conditions & had a idea of where it just might happen ...... nailed it!
    Anything in the water was getting hit , leaves , sticks , bubbles & lures ...

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMark View Post
    Well done you guys,top report Chris,your sharing of tactics,methods are second to none.Top stuff. Must be like fishing a dam for the first time now hey?
    Paulo
    Thanks Paul

Always happy to share ....... a lot of stuff that is learned has come indirectly or directly from other peoples experiences - if you put it out there , you'll always get something back

Too right about a new dam ....... and I'm glad I've spent the time to look around .

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Nice one Chriso, sounds like exciting stuff with the surface bite. Changes in the dam must be a sight to see.

Pete.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete62 View Post
    Nice one Chriso, sounds like exciting stuff with the surface bite. Changes in the dam must be a sight to see.

Pete.
    Thanks Pete

Funny as it may sound - I dreamed about this & thought about it since the Sensations trip

The dam is just massive now Pete - once things settle , it will take some time to get your head around the place
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

The Mondy Cup score sheet has been updated,

Chris (Nagg) is now running second to the Teflon coated one.

John.

Quote Originally Posted by Obi _ Wan View Post
    The Mondy Cup score sheet has been updated,

Chris (Nagg) is now running second to the Teflon coated one.

John.
    I wouldn't be surprised if the teflon coated one doesn't do another dash - I'm sure he has the fire in his belly after this last trip

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    Thanks Pete

Funny as it may sound - I dreamed about this & thought about it since the Sensations trip

The dam is just massive now Pete - once things settle , it will take some time to get your head around the place
    I think a lot of us have been thinking about it, I know I have, so good onya for doing the miles and getting the results mate, could have been quiet a few more on the mat but the surface strikes must be fantastic to witness, landed or not.

Pete.

Well done Chris, always enjoy your reports. You and Brian are doing what we all wish we could do which is just drop things and go up and into them. Big benefit seeing the lake twice with these dramatic changes over the last few weeks. Those of us you have not been up there for a few months will be at a lose on where to go now. - cheers Richard

great effort chris and brian ,i was up there saturday but returned fishless i think i saw you chris coming back down from F area just cruising past me ,i was in thew sticks at the entrance to b in the grey bluefin ,got a couple of bumps in there and dropped one on the frog in some good water near jacks saw you in there sat arvo and it did look great

Nice one mate, great report. Yellahunter and I are heading up next weekend. We pretty much got everything we need to take up for the trip. Hopefully we come home without a donut.

smoked
    (when Im dead) my biggest FEAR is that my wife will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it.........

Quote Originally Posted by warrior View Post
    great effort chris and brian ,i was up there saturday but returned fishless i think i saw you chris coming back down from F area just cruising past me ,i was in thew sticks at the entrance to b in the grey bluefin ,got a couple of bumps in there and dropped one on the frog in some good water near jacks saw you in there sat arvo and it did look great
    You should have popped over & said g'day - I'm shocking with names & boats ^ Yeh that was me - I went up towards 2 mile & took a look in bread bay ( the water looked like coffee & smelt like burned grass ...... YUK ..... came back & had a look in C - better & sounded some nice fish at the entrance Attachment 56322 but nothing but a bit of bait

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO