Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: best methods for catching a barra on a mullet

Re: best methods for catching a barra on a mullet

poppers really do work! got this 74cm barra last night with mozza.

ron.
    reels screamin aboard Hyper- Active

[quote=ronnien;1134221]poppers really do work! got this 74cm barra last night with mozza.

ron.[/quote

Outstanding, Mate you are a Bl$$dy Legend, real barra slayer. Am getting the feeling you would catch one in a plastic bucket.

Quote Originally Posted by sagair View Post
    Thanks Stuie, really cool. I have an Abu6500C4 with 30lb braid on a Shimano Tara 5'6"rod so that is close and a daiwa millionair classic on 5'6" Uglystick. Also a couple of big reels I can crank the cruiser out of a bog with for outside. I was thinking of maybe investing in a Curaldo or revo or maybe a saltist HRF not really up to date with the new gear or what is best suited. Thanks again. MMM maybe a new longer rod.
    theres been plenty of fish caught on either of the first two combos they will work fine unless you want to get a new one
    Stuie
    IF IT CAN'T EAT A WHOLE PILLY I DON'T WANT IT

Quote Originally Posted by ronnien View Post
    poppers really do work! got this 74cm barra last night with mozza.

ron.
    Ronnein

Are you from Ingham?? I just had this bird at my place and she reckons she know's ya

Nice fish you got there , you fishing the fresh ay?? Just out of the main run ay??

Spill the beans

Here's an old photo taken back on the 28/9/04 , mouth of Palm Creek , caught on live mullet and live feather bream , Barra city. That night the mozzys where tough but we were tougher, some dick forgot the aero guard, nah not me!

Team Boof

I cant wait to put your methods to the test lads, i have spent all morning telling lies to the babbling brook ( wife )

I gave her a working over late last night , she was a little disappointed in me , i thought it was a race and got 1st place , i just can't stand losing , sadly she didn't even get out of the gate , hopefully she will make a better effort next time I can't help the fact that im better at moping floors than she is , the score was 3 rooms to 1

Yes im whipped , leave me alone , after i finish washing the windows she said she will take the chains off and just maybe let me go fishing ,28/9/04 a distant memory , one day i will break free from these chains and run like hell and be back come dinner time "hell or high water, well she does a nice medium rare steak which im quite partial too and these little boiled potatoes drowning in garlic butter , Yip she is pure evil , away with you devil woman and your magical potatoes

Quote Originally Posted by smashed crabs View Post
    Ronnein

Are you from Ingham?? I just had this bird at my place and she reckons she know's ya

Nice fish you got there , you fishing the fresh ay?? Just out of the main run ay??

Spill the beans
    no not from ingham, whats her name?.
    not fishing in the fresh.. all saltwater fishing, shallow with

drop off's & rocks & other things

ron.

Quote Originally Posted by ronnien View Post
    no not from ingham, whats her name?.
    not fishing in the fresh.. all saltwater fishing, shallow with

drop off's & rocks & other things

ron.
    Afternoon Ron
    Her name is Sue

drop off's & rocks & other things ay, mm interesting

I swear i can see conglomerate there in the background of your nice photo , the rocks look somewhat sud rounded and maybe sub angular with a coarse matrix and insitu, would have to be and old river levee
    Sand on the ground looks very fine to very coarse as well, possibly sub angular and poorly sorted and about 20% clay rich , given the clay content i would say it would be improbable that you were any where near the mouth of a river and more like up the river , colour of your barra is also suggestive that he is indeed the salt water type but however one cant rule out the possibility of brackish play giving the time of year and the nice rain we have been getting.He could be on the way up.Having said all of this i could be wrong , its very hard to depict sedimentry enviroments from a photo

So to conclude i beleive you and your other things

Mate if you had not of posted your photo's i would not of even entertained the thought of trying poppers

Many thanks

i am not bullshiting you, 1 more for you's.

82cm

even my young falla can get em

ron.

Thumbs up Re: best methods for catching a barra on a mullet

##### Barras
    The little Champ is one apple that never fell far from the tree. Looks proud as punch with a nice barra, well done champ.
    My car was running rough on the way home so had to stop at BCF LOL picked up two skitterpops and a Magnum 18/25 ft. Rapala lures are 15% off at the moment. Car running quite OK now, really amazing how that happens sometimes. cheers

Why is B-o=n-z-a deleted???

Righto im back

I managed to get out and do a few nights fishing and barra i did catch
    Now so far i have only fished with the live mullet(yet to try poppers), i hooked them through the back and throught the mouth and even hooked them dead when the kids decided to spray the live tank with Bushmans

First night out i only managed to get 5 live mullet , three mullet got smashed , one got a shark and the other i got a barra and a shark took a third of him just as i nearly got the barra into the boat, the mullet that got the barra was hooked through the back , i used a wide gap 9/0 Gamakatsu Octopus, nice clean hook up in side of mouth, Barra at a quess would of been just over 60cm> total time fishing 1hr , bottom tide in, hard bank with snags.

Second night , manage to catch 8 live mullet , 5 mullet got smashed , caught two sharks , two big sea mullet jumped into boat , one 62cm barra. I used the same type of hook but steped it up to a 10/0 , again nice clean hook up through the side of the mouth , mullet was hooked through the mouth.
    Because the kids decided to give the live tank a sqirt of bushmans my last three mullet went on dead , the barra was caught on a dead mullet > total time fishing 2hrs, bottom tide in, hard bank with snags.

Both Barra where caught when i had the rod im my hand , so it pays not to put your rod down , everthing i missed was when i had the rod in the holder.If your on a good spot the mullet don't take long to get dusted, i caught my fish when i got the shits with the mullet getting dusted and decided to hold the rod, you think i would have learnt the lesson by the second night but i didnt .

All in all we(missus and kids) had two great nights fishing ,even though we had to work very hard for the live mullet , fishing with live bait is top fun and a worthwhile night time activity , i cant help but think what smased the mullet of my rod and got away.
    What surprises me the most is where i fished, i have in the past casted a lure over these spots many times without a fish but plenty of strikes and bust up's , to go back there with live mullet and pull a barra is a great feeling that makes up for the lures lost and certainly tells me my method of lure chucking is not all that concidering.

So im not as good as i thought i was after all , lesson's to be learnt!!

Cheers SC

Good to see you getting onto them. Your mum must have put just the right amount of starch in those lucky jocks.

Quote Originally Posted by Jarrah Jack View Post
    Good to see you getting onto them. Your mum must have put just the right amount of starch in those lucky jocks.

Thank mate , they nearly got a coat of brown when that bloody shark had a chomp, wasn't exspecting it to happen right at the boat just when i was about to lift too, nearly crapped myself big time