Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: best methods for catching a barra on a mullet

Re: best methods for catching a barra on a mullet

down through the top of his nose and out his mouth . just a decent size treble it leaves 2 hooks exposed so that when youstrike that you rarely get a scaled mullet back
    Stuie
    IF IT CAN'T EAT A WHOLE PILLY I DON'T WANT IT

G,day Stuie

I always thought it was illegal to use trebles in live bait (and perhaps also in dead baits -fish strips etc), with trebles only being allowed when attached to lures.

However I had a quick look on the DPI website,and through some fishing brochures that I have, and could find no such reference anywhere.

Maybe someone could clarify this for me.

Bruce

I had heard the same and quizzed a fisheries officer and he said he could find no rule saying it was illegal so until someone shows me where it is written in the rules then I reckon it is okay . that said though I usually reef fish and rarely target barra
    Stuie

Try darker lures when there is a full moon as they leave a stronger silohete (spelling?) probably doesnt matter with poppers but. When I was younger I used to throw out a live mud cod on 100 pound hand line with an 8/0 hook threw the skin on its head but never had any luck only getting scaled cod back in the morning. I would probably try a snelled rig now if I still lived where there are barra.
    Marto

I do a fair amount of night work on the Daly after barra but I'm still in the infancy stage of learning. One thing that is worth experimenting with is the use of contrast on the lure. By that I mean those dark lines on a lighter coloured lure. One guru I know of is happy to take to his lures with a can of spray paint.

crabs, I use a wide gap gamakatsu.....very very strong hooks, but 5/0 is the biggest they make them, but the fish don't seem to mind, just ask the fingermark and barra I have in my freezer.....oh wait you can't I ate the last of them on the weekend, so i too will be on the hunt this week for some meat.

G'Day Smashed, Not really trying to hijack your thread but was hoping you blokes might also expand into which rod/reel/line combinations you find best for this specific fishing. I seem to have a fair bit of miss matched gear and need to do some sorting. $$$$. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by STUIE63 View Post
    down through the top of his nose and out his mouth . just a decent size treble it leaves 2 hooks exposed so that when youstrike that you rarely get a scaled mullet back
    Stuie
    thanks mate

hooks seem to be a major problem for me , i tried 7/0 one night and all i got back was mullet with hickys

I though it must of been catys but now me thinks it was deem pesky barra giving me mullet a blow job and this happened all night.

I will try you evil methods

Quote Originally Posted by Scott nthQld View Post
    crabs, I use a wide gap gamakatsu.....very very strong hooks, but 5/0 is the biggest they make them, but the fish don't seem to mind, just ask the fingermark and barra I have in my freezer.....oh wait you can't I ate the last of them on the weekend, so i too will be on the hunt this week for some meat.
    Thanks Mr Scott

i will be trying your method

Quote Originally Posted by sagair View Post
    G'Day Smashed, Not really trying to hijack your thread but was hoping you blokes might also expand into which rod/reel/line combinations you find best for this specific fishing. I seem to have a fair bit of miss matched gear and need to do some sorting. $$$$. Thanks
    Gday Sagair, Yes you are

Quote Originally Posted by smashed crabs View Post
    thanks mate

hooks seem to be a major problem for me , i tried 7/0 one night and all i got back was mullet with hickys

I though it must of been catys but now me thinks it was deem pesky barra giving me mullet a blow job and this happened all night.

I will try you evil methods
    Yep that was a barra thats their sexual preferences BJ's to mullet try to let it run a bit longer most people strike too quickly so next time let it run for about 30 seconds then let it run a bit more and maybe a bit more again the pick up the rod and think about striking
    Stuie

Gentlemen , thankyou for your thoughts

What i propose to do is to try each of your methods of madness

I will then give you all a number from 1 to 3

Number one meaning , Your a Legend and my childrens children will sing songs about you!! And you spend to much time fishing!!or your the boss of your own company!

Number two meaning , Your very learned , yes learned or edgejamacated if you prefer!? , your the quiet type , a little shy at first , your a swan an ulgy
    swan just waiting to shine through and your mum still irons your clothes and spits on a hanky to wipe your face , you know how to fish but your wife is a problem and you have to lie to her all the time to sneak out fishing.Sadly you will never be a legend , your wife has a firm grip of your nads

Number three meaning , points for trying and a big pat on the back

Let the games begin , i have bought spray paint , nail polish ,popcorn , trebles , poppers , 5/0 and 40 dozens ice cold beers, just finishing a list of reason for the wife as to why i will be gone for 3days and getting me mum to make me 20 cut lunches and iron my lucky fish jocks, im off to give me self a big pat on the back

Quote Originally Posted by sagair View Post
    Mate I reckon that for a rod and reel combination you can use anything from an abu 5600 to an abu 7000 an a rod to suit .the brand of reel is up to you and your friendly bank manager $$ but as long as it has a free spool and a ratchet then it is fine . I would use a rod about 6'6" with a reasonably soft tip and action .20 pound braid going to a 60 pound leader with a albright knot .any reel that will let the fish take the bait and swim away slowly until he decides to really eat the bait ( refer my previous post ) hope this helps
    Stuie

Quote Originally Posted by smashed crabs View Post
    Gentlemen , thankyou for your thoughts

What i propose to do is to try each of your methods of madness

I will then give you all a number from 1 to 3

Number one meaning , Your a Legend and my childrens children will sing songs about you!! And you spend to much time fishing!!or your the boss of your own company!

Number two meaning , Your very learned , yes learned or edgejamacated if you prefer!? , your the quiet type , a little shy at first , your a swan an ulgy
    swan just waiting to shine through and your mum still irons your clothes and spits on a hanky to wipe your face , you know how to fish but your wife is a problem and you have to lie to her all the time to sneak out fishing.Sadly you will never be a legend , your wife has a firm grip of your nads

Number three meaning , points for trying and a big pat on the back

Let the games begin , i have bought spray paint , nail polish ,popcorn , trebles , poppers , 5/0 and 40 dozens ice cold beers, just finishing a list of reason for the wife as to why i will be gone for 3days and getting me mum to make me 20 cut lunches and iron my lucky fish jocks, im off to give me self a big pat on the back
    Smashed
    by the time you have done the deed with all those beers you won't remember
    1-who told you what
    2-what species of fish you are targetting
    3-how long you were allowed to go fishing for

but all the best and have a good time
    go get that elusive barra
    Stuie

Quote Originally Posted by STUIE63 View Post
    Mate I reckon that for a rod and reel combination you can use anything from an abu 5600 to an abu 7000 an a rod to suit .the brand of reel is up to you and your friendly bank manager $$ but as long as it has a free spool and a ratchet then it is fine . I would use a rod about 6'6" with a reasonably soft tip and action .20 pound braid going to a 60 pound leader with a albright knot .any reel that will let the fish take the bait and swim away slowly until he decides to really eat the bait ( refer my previous post ) hope this helps
    Stuie

Thanks Stuie, really cool. I have an Abu6500C4 with 30lb braid on a Shimano Tara 5'6"rod so that is close and a daiwa millionair classic on 5'6" Uglystick. Also a couple of big reels I can crank the cruiser out of a bog with for outside. I was thinking of maybe investing in a Curaldo or revo or maybe a saltist HRF not really up to date with the new gear or what is best suited. Thanks again. MMM maybe a new longer rod.