Thread: Barra fishing in Rocky/Yeppoon

Barra fishing in Rocky/Yeppoon

Hey guys,
    I live in Yeppoon and I'm pretty new to the Barramundi fishing scene. I have been to Awoonga on a few occasions with limited success. I constantly read about barra and ways to improve fishing for them and was wondering if there are any freshwater dams or lagoons, (landbased or from a boat) close by that hold barra to practise different techniques? Other people seem to have success, maybe I am using the wrong lures, or fishing in dams that don't even hold barra!
    Any help would be greatly appreciated

Re: Barra fishing in Rocky/Yeppoon

G'day

mate Hedlow creek has barra, though with the recent rains success may not be too likely. I've found these fish tend to like smaller lures/baits.

Serpentine lagoon has barra too apparently, however i have not fished it so do not know. Both of these locations would be best fished land-based.

There is also a area called "east alligator". I have not found it yet though is somewhere near hedlow, and apparently has good fishing.

Hope this may give you some help, and if you have any questions or need someone to fish with feel free to give me a yell.

Mitch

P.s Don't forget the mozzie spray...STRONG stuff

I used to fish the causeway lake a bit and found it reliable for barra, fishing from near the bridge - must be there in the dark and before the crowd arrives. Once the sun starts to come up you may as well leave as the place shuts down. Tide didn't matter much, just be there say 4-5am. Roslyn Bay and Statue Bay also go well at times.
    If you've got a boat then the town reaches of the Fitzroy have been alive with barra for the last year or so. Once the flooding backs off it should be great again.

Kev,

Thanks mate. I live at Statue Bay and I have heard of and even seen people catch large barramundi but am yet to catch one there myself, although I have caught a few fingerlings in my cast net while chasing prawns. I fished the Fitzroy fairly regularly last year before the barra bounty and reeled in a few nice little fellas in the town reaches. Didn't even get a sniff of a fish further down the river or even up in pacific creek. Will keep trying my luck though.

Munchy

Statue Bay is a run out tide spot, amongst the rocks on the headland. As mitch has said, heaps of fish get caught in Hedlow, and even more in Woolwash and Serpentine lagoons near Rocky. I've not heard how they've fared with the current rain/floods but they should be going good in a month or two.