Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Waterproof Jackets

Waterproof Jackets

What does everybody recommend for wearing while fishing? I need a new summer wieght jacket, and a winter jacket as well.

For summer, I wear a Team jacket, but it doesnt breathe very well cos its heavy pvc.

In winter, I wear a dryzabone, but it does let water in, even tho I oil it up.

Im thinking of going to a ski jacket for winter, like a Columbia Titanium or North Face goretex. Its probably the only thing thats waterproof.

Dunno what to do about a summer weight jacket. So many of them are not truly waterproof.

Im interested to hear any recommendations.

cheers
    Andrew
    Fishing- It's only an addiction if you're trying to quit.

Re: Waterproof Jackets

Andrew i have been looking for a similar thing and have come down to a ski type jacket also . Daiwa do a waterproof columbia made jacket called thunderstorm made from some sort of breathable material called omnitech or something similar they look the goods but they are $169 and i have had a look at the columbia store in the valley ,they are a very thin thing i dont know if they would be prone to tear or not but maybe someone here who has one might be able to post some practical use info...mat

Tackle wharehouse have them for $149 ..matt
    A bad days fishing has got to be better than any day at work......

Hey Andrew - I've got a "team" jacket, waterproof, and breathable...picked it up from bcf....no complaints so far.

pdf of their range http://teamaustralia.com.au/pdf/Team_Active2010.pdf

Mick

I'm with Mick, the Team 'Stolite' are top value, waterproof-lite-good air circulation-soft, great in a boat for rain or spray.

The Team Daiwa-Columbia ones seem to work as well

Quote Originally Posted by GPB View Post
    The Team Daiwa-Columbia ones seem to work as well

Being that wet outside but where you dry under the jacket??? matt
    A bad days fishing has got to be better than any day at work......

Wasn't me in the second pic Bro, but most of the modern day lite jackets are amazing

Ive just bought the Team Stolite Explorer this morning at BCF (thx mick) and it looks good for a liteweight jacket. At least its guaranteed waterproof. It has vents at the back, and the Explorer version is a cut above the basic Stolite with waterproof zips. Im not sure how hook resistant these litewieghts are tho, looks like they could tear easily.

The old Team pvc was much heavier, and wont see much use now. I'll keep it for guests.

Im still heading towards a North Face Goretex for winter. I can get one new with inner fleece for $100 on ebay, so thats sounds like a deal.

GPB, double hookup? now thats just bragging, lol. nice pic.

cheers
    Andrew
    Fishing- It's only an addiction if you're trying to quit.

Buy a secondhand offshore sailing jacket , fully breathable . Layer underneath it for winter

The pretty boy weekend sailers upgrade to the latest colours every couple of years or when the grubby marks get too much to wear it at the bar

Real step up in quality and affordable second hand.

Look at the gill website if you want to learn about both summer and winter layering as there is a lot of myths and the mountaineering and serious offshore sailing guys have a handle on it.

In summer we sometime just wear the wicking layer as it gives total sun protection and still ventilates, windproof but drys 10 minutes after you have stopped. You forget you are wearing it.

Hate sweating in old pvc stuff and will never go back to it.

Thanks Andrew, it was a fun double in rough conditions

I've had my Jacket for a couple of years now and its fished the coral sea a couple of times and two jig trips around NZ, as well as the usual off Mooloolaba, no holes-rips or loose seams anywhere, the only down side is the 'Parra' colours
    Limit your Catch - Don't Catch your Limit

I you want some serious gear checkout the Musto range....very exxy though...outta my price bracket....but the bloody ex used to manage to buy the stuff....used to use it for trail riding (equestrian) trips, and it sure took some serious treatment and was light and breathed well.

Greg

Forgot to mention. The ones that aren't designed for salt water like for trecking don't work as well as ones designed for salt water. Must be a different material.

I have a Columbia PFG spray jacket.It cost me an arm and a leg but it is by far the best jacket of that kind I have had.Comfortable,dry and above all breathable.I hate sweating inside those plastic rain coats.

Toddy

Quote Originally Posted by the gecko View Post
    Ive just bought the Team Stolite Explorer this morning at BCF (thx mick) and it looks good for a liteweight jacket. At least its guaranteed waterproof. It has vents at the back, and the Explorer version is a cut above the basic Stolite with waterproof zips. Im not sure how hook resistant these litewieghts are tho, looks like they could tear easily.

The old Team pvc was much heavier, and wont see much use now. I'll keep it for guests.

Im still heading towards a North Face Goretex for winter. I can get one new with inner fleece for $100 on ebay, so thats sounds like a deal.

GPB, double hookup? now thats just bragging, lol. nice pic.

cheers
    Andrew
    Gecko , i have a couple of goretex jackets , i think your better off with a shell than lined

if its cold can you can put another layer under neath , its a pain when you heat up too much , but want to stay dry ,

Quote Originally Posted by childers View Post
    Gecko , i have a couple of goretex jackets , i think your better off with a shell than lined

if its cold can you can put another layer under neath , its a pain when you heat up too much , but want to stay dry ,

Yeah - easier to wash and keep clean as well. Layers are much cheaper to replace when they get worn or tatty as well. It will last longer as you don't have all the stuff on at once and you will be surprised at how often you get away with the wicking layers or light rain ones.