Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Waterproof Jackets

Re: Waterproof Jackets

thanks guys, Im heading towards all of that. Im thinking of a Helly HAnsen second hand offshore jacket, and using layers. The Columbias and Nth Face ones on ebay are all fakes. Lucky Id did a bit of research on google before I bought.

The Stolite jacket did NOT perform well last night, grrrr. 30 mins of castinetting and Im soaked thru to the skin. I will give it another try, but it doesnt seem waterproof at all???

ANdrew
    Fishing- It's only an addiction if you're trying to quit.

Hey Andrew - Been rained on and copped heaps of spray with mine and it kept me dry as?

Mate,

You should also have a look at the Burke range of sailing gear. They are an australian company and make some pretty good gear...i have the following jacket and have found it to be very capable.

http://www.whitworths.com.au/main_it...AbsolutePage=1

I got mine on sale for $160.

Dan.

Ditto than Dan, the Burke 3/4 works well for me and a good price, good ventilation and dry, no warmth though for the southerners but up this way that's a bonus.

I've just purchased the TrueBlue 'Storm Jacket' from True Blue Apparel.

I did a fair amounbt of research on the www for a new jacket and settled on this aussie brand. These guys make wet gear for the police, customs etc and have a great range of styles and weights of jacket. I ended up giving them a ring and they were most helpful and happy to chat about my needs. The service was very good - they took my order ~2pm thursday arvo and the jacket was delivered ~9am the next day. And I'm in bundy!! AND they shipped it for free.

Predictably, once the jacket arrived it saw the week long rain spell we were experiencing disappear like magic so I haven't been able to road test it. The jacket itself is very well made and comfy. I'm almost looking forward to a nice rainy dayon the river to see how it performs - but until then, I'll have to put up with the perfect weather it looks like being today as i look out the window.

If for no other reason than TrueBlue being an aussie company with a good range, I'd suggest giving them a look at the very least.

Burke gets another vote.

Mine's an offshore racing made from R-tec 5 (goretex).

Very comfy, very dry.

About $300 from Manly marine.

P.S. Also has retro reflective pin striping through it so some built in safety too.

Bourke have a seconds store for samples etc. Call em or they might also do stuff direct on the net.

Mate

Check out the Husky Explorer range, reasonable price, used by many people employed by fisheries and water resources organisations. Come with a liner that is removable in the summer months.

Ive been issued with Gortex and other brands over the years, this is my best performer to date.

Louie

My wife ended up buying me the columbia thunderstorm jacket and i am heading down the coast tomorrow and there is a little rain expected so i will test it out and report back ..matt
    A bad days fishing has got to be better than any day at work......

The other thing to watch with some of the jackets is what you need to do to maintain them. Some are just a hos eoff and others are more complicated. Have seen quite a few jackes stuffed by teh new "active " enzime detergents. Simple is best with no complicated instructions or expensive detergents or recoats later in their life.

I took cormarants advice and went for a sailing jacket after reading up on the layer effect.

I got a Musto from crimebay, as musto are less likely to be faked by a chinese sweatshop. there was a new musto that was an unwanted present to an ex sailor. ANybody selling multiple jackets like Columbia available in all sizes is likely to be fake gear that is not very waterproof.

I also see the advice on base layer is that polyester has the best wicking effect to draw sweat away from the body. Id been using 100% cotton which they say is the worst thing, as it holds 3 times its own weight in water.

cheers
    Andrew
    Fishing- It's only an addiction if you're trying to quit.

Quote Originally Posted by spelchek View Post
    I've just purchased the TrueBlue 'Storm Jacket' from True Blue Apparel.

I did a fair amounbt of research on the www for a new jacket and settled on this aussie brand. These guys make wet gear for the police, customs etc and have a great range of styles and weights of jacket. I ended up giving them a ring and they were most helpful and happy to chat about my needs. The service was very good - they took my order ~2pm thursday arvo and the jacket was delivered ~9am the next day. And I'm in bundy!! AND they shipped it for free.

Predictably, once the jacket arrived it saw the week long rain spell we were experiencing disappear like magic so I haven't been able to road test it. The jacket itself is very well made and comfy. I'm almost looking forward to a nice rainy dayon the river to see how it performs - but until then, I'll have to put up with the perfect weather it looks like being today as i look out the window.

If for no other reason than TrueBlue being an aussie company with a good range, I'd suggest giving them a look at the very least.
    i purchased a storm rider PDF1 jacket from bias http://www.biasboating.com.au/p-2205...fd-type-1.aspx

on special for $160.00 this morning. are they the same?

I tried it on and was extremely comfortable. the sleeved pull off for summer. its a manual inflatable.

been following this thread with interest as I am nearing time to get a new jacket!!

has anyone seen these...are they fakies!!!..price would suggest so, but they still look OK.

Cheers Steve

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/GoreTex-Man-T...item2305a65637
    I dont have ADHD......ohh look a squirrell !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve B View Post
    been following this thread with interest as I am nearing time to get a new jacket!!

has anyone seen these...are they fakies!!!..price would suggest so, but they still look OK.

Cheers Steve

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/GoreTex-Man-T...item2305a65637

Thats a lot of zippers, could get confusing!

Ive got a heavy duty 3/4 length Burkes, and dont rate it, still get wet thru the front, even with the velcro flap over the zipper.
    The best thing I own is the bib and brace rain paints, they are the ducks nuts.

yeah Brian, sorta looks more like a ski (thick) jacket rather than a rain/wind jacket.

I currently have a rainbird jacket which I bought about 7 years ago. Its still going strong, but I want to get something a bit lighter, but still have the wind and rain proofing.

cheers Steve
    I dont have ADHD......ohh look a squirrell !!!