Thread: Singapore Chili Mudcrab

Wink Singapore Chili Mudcrab

i love this as it contains most ingredients that you shold already have in kitchen. enjoy.

2kg of fresh mud crabs in shell. each segment of the claws should be slightly broken to allows juices to marinate and also makes it easier to eat.
    4-6 red chilies
    2 teaspoons of fresh crushed garlic
    2 teaspoons of fresh crushed ginger
    1/2 cup of peanut oil or vegetable oil
    1/4 cup tomato sauce
    1/4 cup of sugar
    2 teaspoons of salt
    2 eggs (optional)
    2-3 tablesoons chopped spring onions using both the green and white parts

cut the crabs in quarters, removing the underflap and other inedible parts. rinse lightly in cold water, and drain very well
    slit opne the chilies and remove the seeds and chop the flesh coarsely. place in blender or morter and grind to a paste with the garlic and ginger
    heat a large wok and add the oil. put in the crab pieces and stir fry over a high heat for about six minutes. until the shell is red and the meat has turned white and firm. push to one side of the wok and add the chili, garlic and ginger mixture and also the onion. fry for 1min. then mix with crab.
    stir the tomato sauce, sugar and salt together, add a little cold water and pour into the pan. bring to boil, stirring into the other ingrediants. simmer for a few minutes, then add the beaten eggs, if using, and cook briefly, breaking up with spatula
    . serves 6.
    serve with napkins and maybe some pliers!
    Last edited by Si; 17-02-2010 at 08:03 PM. Reason: additional info

Re: Singapore Chili Mudcrab

sounds good, I love chilli crab, but prefer Blue Swimmers (sandies) here is my easy as pie recipe.
    Ingredients

Cooked Blue Swimmers/Mud Crab
    Olive oil
    1 clove garlic, roughly chopped
    4 chillies, sliced (adjust for taste)
    1 tsp sugar
    Pinch salt
    2 tsp oyster sauce
    1 tbsp tomato sauce

1 Tomatoe cut into pieces, or a couple of Cherry Tomatoes cut in halves
    Some Capsicum cut into slices or rough pieces
    Preparation

Clean and quarter the crabs, cracking the claws and other large pieces (cut the pointy end off the legs, removing above the last joint).

Heat the oil in a wok, add the garlic and chilli and stir fry for a couple of minutes. Add the crab, sugar, salt, tomato sauce and oyster sauce, plus a little water. Add remaining ingredients

Cover the wok and cook for 5 minutes or until the crab is hot, thicken with Corn Flour.

Serve on a large plate with plenty of paper towel and a bowl of warm water and lemon for cleaning hands

ok heres mine - simpler but tastes the same as a reasturaunt

green muddies segmented be sure to crack the legs and nippers to let the flavours in and out

seasame oil
    shedloads of:
    grated ginger
    chopped garlic

some chopped shallots
    sweet chili sauce

in a hot wock toss cleaned halved crabs in seasame oil, garlic and ginger to add colour. ad lots of sauce, shallots and more ginger and garlic. put lid on turn dorn heat and drink 3 stubbies. remove nad reduce or thicken sauce in necessary (bit of cornflour disolved in water. enjoy with beer or wine.

also coconut curry style is also nice

My take and best with this is cook crabs first (as normal) and then toss for just long enough in a wok with the sauce to heat through.

4 large red chillis
    1/2 bunch corriander
    Thumb size piece ginger
    3 cloves garlic
    1 brown onion
    1/2 jar rogan josh curry paste
    2 kafir lime leaves

Puree in food processor

Hot fry in wok in a little oil

Add

1 tablespoon palm sugar
    1 teaspoon fish sauce
    1/2 cup sweet chilli sauce
    500 ml coconut cream
    Juice 3 limes

Simmer 5 minutes.

Add some 2 inch long shallot stalks, a couple of large red chillis, sliced and then

Add crab (s), cracked, cleaned and quatered and simmer/toss for 3 or 4 minutes.

Serve with some chopped corriander and some limes, halved and then charred on the flesh side on a hot BBQ or hot pan.

This makes enough for about 4 large muddies.

My own slant on "chilli crab" worked up over many years. What's it like? Check out the reviews on the I Love Food Awards or "trip Advisor web site" We sell up to 200 of these a week with people often ringing to book crabs from Melbourne and Sydney before they come North on holidays.

www.fishdvine.com.au

has a picture and so does our Fish D'Vine facebook web page.

& the only place I have ever published the recipe is right here and now. A bit of "rooting around" but try this. May just be the best thing you have ever eaten.

Tried to attach a pic but file is too big.

KC