Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: Will Toyota's Landcruiser ever have a true rival?

Re: Will Toyota's Landcruiser ever have a true rival?

Quote Originally Posted by ozscott View Post
    What is the average that the cruisers get around the cities. The open highway cruising is always good with modern TD's. The pajero motor for eg which is really low spec compared to the Toyotas and Land Rovers get 16l/100 towing 2.5 tonn at the highway limit from people I have spoken with. I think given so much of a daily driver is for around town use that would be helpful to post up.

WRX - what is WDH?

Cheers

WDH= Weight distribution hitch, not many boaties use them because they don't travel a lot ( some do ), most anly go to their local boat ramp and just as well, a lot of boat trailers are not roadworthy . All caravans use them because they do a lot of miles at highway speeds . If fitted correct they distribute the load from the towball to the front and rear suspenssion so the vehicle sits level.

As for fuel useage on the LC200TTD in city driving , I don't use it in the city , I have other vehicles to do that , mine is used as a tow truck and going away vehicle. Reports vary from a best of about 12/100 to 15/100 , i guess it depends on the traffic and how you like to take off from the lights , if you floor it all the time it will use the fuel as you are using all the ponies and you have to shift 3 ton.

Its not just modern TD's that are better as far as fuel consumption goes, all diesels are better than petrol for 2 reasons . First compression engines are more efficient and second , a lt of diesel has about 20% more energy than a lt of petrol. The heavier the load the more evident this is, thats the reason you don't see any petrol trucks .

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Seaweed View Post
    yep, Patrol. I own both. Cant beat cruiser for comfort, style and build quality( my 100 series sahara). Patrol cant be beaten for offroadability(my 06 patrol ute). Except maybe the new patrol may be wishbone front end. That would suck the big one.

Marty

Marty , the new Patrol has independent sus all around , thats the way they are going now.

Nissan will sell the old Patrol for a while after the new one is released .

wrx hoon,
    That sux my 06 ute runs out of lease Jan 2011 and i was hoping for an new all coil substitute. I have IFS on the cruiser and have fitted front and rear air lockers, not the same as wheel travel and lockers car body moves too much

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Seaweed View Post
    wrx hoon,
    That sux my 06 ute runs out of lease Jan 2011 and i was hoping for an new all coil substitute. I have IFS on the cruiser and have fitted front and rear air lockers, not the same as wheel travel and lockers car body moves too much

The new Nissan Patrol won't be in the Austrailian showrooms until halfway 2011.

For your info ( this is from guys that use their trucks offroad) the LC200 with KDSS ( standard on all but GXL TTD) goes better offroad that the LC 100 fitted with difflocks . 200's fitted with KDSS are much more stable on road as well because they can use much thicker sway bars.
    I don't take mine offroad so I wouldn't know but I know she much more stable towing a heavy trailer than my old LC100TD .

The new Patrol has a nice 5.6LT V8 petrol engine and a 7 speed auto to go with it , no word of a diesel as yet but my guess is she will have a small bore ( 3.0 LT?) Renault diesel when she is released here and I don't think they will offer a manual box but could be wrong there .

KDSS is awesome when towing. The car's like a rock. I've had the trailer get untidy (a fair bit over 100, oops) and I was totally in control. Just scared!

Cheers,

Tim
    Carbon Really Ain't Pollution.

All you need is 10 grand or less and pick up a late 70s to early 80s F350 and you can tow a 3t boat for less than the interest repayments of the 50 - 80 grand cruisers owners.
    Don"t get anything stronger than 9" diff and the old 351 clevo or windsor and still plenty of parts around.
    You can then buy a cheaper second hand 4 x 4 that does not require a 3t tow limit and still be less than half the outlay of a cruiser and do the same job.
    I use a F truck for my 3t boat, a 1980 diesel cruiser for work and a 2003 falcon for the road all adding up to less than 23 grand to do all my requirements.
    It would take another 20 + years of rego and fuel use and parts to get to the price of a second hand cruiser.
    In my opinion its just the old living next door the jone's syndrome where one compares the size and capability and price of his tool to the bloke next door.
    If you dont care what people think of your set up and can forgo a few over the top luxuries and comforts you can save a lot of money to spend on more enjoyable things.
    I must say i would love the comfort of a new F250 -350 4 x 4 but i will never pay that sort of money to get just a little better comfort and fuel economy.
    Not knocking anyone just each to his own. Do the maths.

Thanks WRX. I know what you mean - just missed the acronym. My brother loves them with his 22' dual axle van. He tows with a sedan though so for him its a must.

Cheers
    Boat: Seafarer Vagabond
    Live: Great South East....love Moreton Bay fishing

Quote Originally Posted by ozscott View Post
    Thanks WRX. I know what you mean - just missed the acronym. My brother loves them with his 22' dual axle van. He tows with a sedan though so for him its a must.

Cheers

Scott, all van owners use them regardless what they tow with because they cover long distances at high speed .
    22' van with a sedan, I think Falcons have the most towing capacity as far as sedans go and thats only 2300 kg , I wouldn't like to tow that van with a falcon .

trevorjc,

Each to their own mate, I wouldn't like to drive a 30 YO vehicle, I prefer to pay the money and drive a newish vehicle all the time. This is coming from an ex-motor mechanic. Just imagine if everyone was like you , you wouldn't be able to find an old vehicle to buy !!!

Quote Originally Posted by wrxhoon View Post
    Scott, all van owners use them regardless what they tow with because they cover long distances at high speed .
    22' van with a sedan, I think Falcons have the most towing capacity as far as sedans go and thats only 2300 kg , I wouldn't like to tow that van with a falcon .
    I'd be happy if all van owners just had mirrors so they could see things behind them.
    They, then, might be able to see the 387 cars stuck behind them when they do 90km/hr, or less, on the open road......that is until a passing spot comes up then they do 120 until they get to the end and then drop back to their regular 'pi$$ me off speed'
    Gees I hate that.
    I could not care what speed people travel at...but for christsake....pull over the let people by.
    What happened to common courtesy??
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good

hehehhe...yep I know what you mean finga. The brother I am referring to is a motor mech of 30+years experience in heavy transport and more lately vehicles. He is one of those fanatics and modifications are his baby. WRX he does drive a Falcon, but its an XA (!) with a twin v head 6 (one of the rare 250's with nice set up). Its no longer a 250, but about 270 and balanced, ported and polished etc etc with some cam. He loves towing with it and sits on 100-110 on the highway everywhere. The only place it suffers is really heavy ranges like Cunningham's where my 4.0 Disco V8 goes up nicely in third towing the same weight and his falcon is back to first and 1100rpm...and yes he is one of those annoying buggers who speeds up at overtaking sections or long straights, but at least he does the limit or more everywhere except the steepest of ranges.

Cheers
    Boat: Seafarer Vagabond
    Live: Great South East....love Moreton Bay fishing

Quote Originally Posted by finga View Post
    I'd be happy if all van owners just had mirrors so they could see things behind them.
    They, then, might be able to see the 387 cars stuck behind them when they do 90km/hr, or less, on the open road......that is until a passing spot comes up then they do 120 until they get to the end and then drop back to their regular 'pi$$ me off speed'
    Gees I hate that.
    I could not care what speed people travel at...but for christsake....pull over the let people by.
    What happened to common courtesy??

I thought that goes for most Aussie drivers !!! I find when I drive in QLD most drivers sit on the overtaking lane on motorways , doing the speed limit or a little under and never move to the left lane !!
    I have driven in a lot of countries over the years ( I always drive where ever I go) , the best as far as moving over are the Germans but generaly most Europeans are very good ( not in UK though) , I think the fact that they have high speed limits ( no limit in most Geramn autobarns) has something to do with it . Maybe if we had 140 k speed limit here it could be the same.

Scott,
    I said I would't like to tow heavy trailers with a Falcon because of stability not power . I have little doubt even my stock BA will pull the boat but I would be worried I may leave half the car behind me !! The other thing is the gearing is to high and the tranny will not last long pulling it out of boat ramps, the LC just idles up the ramp.
    The Falcon would the one of the best sedans to tow with .

The fines and reeducation program is expensive.

Ger has a system of getting your driv lic where you have to do it on teh freeways and autobahns with a instructor

An education thing. We could learn from the common sense it instills.

We have a rule that if we have a car or 3 behind us for more than 5 minutes we try and blinker to pull in to let em past on a safe stretch. Unfortunately with people scared of overtaking , scared of police and fines and so many roads double yellows a lo just sit there behind and give you a weird look. Stupid as only 1 or 2 get past as no one will speed to overtake and they spend 5 minutes beside you

Some drivers really need a wake up call on country roads and police need to show a bit of common sense as well - yeah like that is going to happen

Be nice if people had common sense

The verges are crap and tyre traps so I am very wary of where I do it an at what speed and you can eally shower teh people behing with stones if they don't get the hint to overtake.

maybe we should open up another thread on highway driving and road ettiquette. Having spent the last 6 years as a 'sales rep' driving between brissy and cooktown..and all points west...and over the twenty five years prior to that covering similar distances in ALL other states....I have many stories to tell about behaviour on the roads, both highway and suburban.

This is not the thread for it.

Greg