Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Will Toyota's Landcruiser ever have a true rival?

Re: Will Toyota's Landcruiser ever have a true rival?

Quote Originally Posted by TimiBoy View Post
    Well, I have a TD200 Cruiser, and I reckon the folks who bag 'em out are jealous. It's amazing. If you can, you should.

Cheers,

Tim

Another happy customer, I haven't found anyone with a LC200TTD that isn't , well worth the wait to buy one ..

Cruisers went NANCY after the 80 series !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

Steve

DoNotFeedTheTrollsAandBelligerent

This is from Overlander (most of them drive Toyota)

-http://www.overlander.com.au/vehicle_tests/index/full/274/2006-Tow-Test:-Part-1---Large-Wagons

"The verdict
    From the intelligence of its removable tow bar to its relaxed freeway cruising to exemplary rough-road behaviour - once the rig is set up right - both Discos stood hat, head, shoulders and chest above any other vehicle on test. The 4.4-litre petrol V8 was quicker than the two Japanese biggies and would possibly use less fuel when driven more gently. But the Disco diesel almost matched the Toyota and Nissan petrols for grunt - and their diesels for frugality - with far better towing ability. Combine that with a cavernous and versatile interior and the diesel Disco - here we go again - stacks up as the best on the planet"

The new disco Twin Turbo 3.0 is of course much better again than the single blower 2.7.

Mate setting aside what the objective tests say you are taking it too personally saying stuff like I wouldnt be silly with my money, I earned it etc. I am not calling you silly. I am though not agreeing with you that you have gone and bought the best 4wd available even though you are convinced you have. I reckon you havea great 4wd but there are always pros and cons of all vehicles and Im yet to meet the perfect one.

I guess I am all for allegience and all, but I just cannot leave stuff go where another brand gets belted without justification and that, unfortunately, is usually from a toyota fan belting nissan, LR, jeep etc.

I am wrapped that you are so pleased with your toyota mate I really am, and as you say heaps of others are cause they still sell more cars than anyone. Just dont expect me to accept that beacuse you could afford whatever you wanted and chose a particular brand that must mean that particular brand is the best.

Cheers
    Boat: Seafarer Vagabond
    Live: Great South East....love Moreton Bay fishing

comment removed

Mate - you are right about the parts. I am confident enough with my 02 disco cause its relatively simple and I do go far afield, but toyota have the dealer network that is second to none for sure.
    CHEERS

For the cost of these 4wd muncheon movers I'd be buying another house.
    I cannot, and would not, justify the cost and of them and the eventual loss of money with them.

It's not a jealousy thing. I simply would not want to spend that much money on something to get me from a to b and back to a. And then to lose 1/4 of it's value in 4 years???

If I had to have something to tow a big boat then I'd be looking at a small truck.
    If need 4wd then go 4wd.
    How much is a 4wd little Hino now??
    http://www.drive.com.au/new-cars/ISU...048024553&pt=5
    http://www.drive.com.au/new-cars/HIN...306673420&pt=5

You could put one hell of a camper on the back too!!

Hell....a new Kenworth or Mack is under, or around, $200,000 with diff locks and cross locks and 2 camera's and fast glass and electric mirrors etc.
    Why are these wagons so friggin' expensive??
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good

Quote Originally Posted by finga View Post
    I cannot, and would not, justify the cost and of them and the eventual loss of money with them.

It's not a jealousy thing. I simply would not want to spend that much money on something to get me from a to b and back to a. And then to lose 1/4 of it's value in 4 years???

If I had to have something to tow a big boat then I'd be looking at a small truck.
    If need 4wd then go 4wd.
    How much is a 4wd little Hino now??
    http://www.drive.com.au/new-cars/ISU...048024553&pt=5
    http://www.drive.com.au/new-cars/HIN...306673420&pt=5

You could put one hell of a camper on the back too!!

Hell....a new Kenworth or Mack is under, or around, $200,000 with diff locks and cross locks and 2 camera's and fast glass and electric mirrors etc.
    Why are these wagons so friggin' expensive??
    Finga - excellent question mate. I could justify my rig new on a lease at $42 on the road in 2002, but the new cost of the same vehicle now is insane - about double!!!

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by ozscott View Post
    This is from Overlander (most of them drive Toyota)

-http://www.overlander.com.au/vehicle_tests/index/full/274/2006-Tow-Test:-Part-1---Large-Wagons

"The verdict
    From the intelligence of its removable tow bar to its relaxed freeway cruising to exemplary rough-road behaviour - once the rig is set up right - both Discos stood hat, head, shoulders and chest above any other vehicle on test. The 4.4-litre petrol V8 was quicker than the two Japanese biggies and would possibly use less fuel when driven more gently. But the Disco diesel almost matched the Toyota and Nissan petrols for grunt - and their diesels for frugality - with far better towing ability. Combine that with a cavernous and versatile interior and the diesel Disco - here we go again - stacks up as the best on the planet"

The new disco Twin Turbo 3.0 is of course much better again than the single blower 2.7.

Mate setting aside what the objective tests say you are taking it too personally saying stuff like I wouldnt be silly with my money, I earned it etc. I am not calling you silly. I am though not agreeing with you that you have gone and bought the best 4wd available even though you are convinced you have. I reckon you havea great 4wd but there are always pros and cons of all vehicles and Im yet to meet the perfect one.

I guess I am all for allegience and all, but I just cannot leave stuff go where another brand gets belted without justification and that, unfortunately, is usually from a toyota fan belting nissan, LR, jeep etc.

I am wrapped that you are so pleased with your toyota mate I really am, and as you say heaps of others are cause they still sell more cars than anyone. Just dont expect me to accept that beacuse you could afford whatever you wanted and chose a particular brand that must mean that particular brand is the best.

Cheers

This is a 2006 test, 100LC , nothing like a 200LC. Hey if you pay someone enough they will say whatever you want them to say. I have first hand experience with them , don't you think I know what I'm talking about??
    Your own coment , you say they drive TOYOTAS, why do you think they drive Toyos and not Discos? Could it be because they think Toyotas are better??

It says there the Disco diesel almost matched the LC petrol for grunt , I know for a fact the TD was quicker towing a 2.5 t load from first hand experience.

I'm not taking anything personally but I think you are . Don't forget LC200 outsells the Disco by 20 to one , every disco sold in the last 12 months 20 LC200's were sold and they are in short supply. Ah and you can't say the LC has any price advantage .
    Do you honestly think that all these people haven't done their homework?
    Do you really think you have a better knowledge ? Do you think you are more informed than them?? Do you think they are stupid to buy in inferior truck ?
    As I said to you before I made my living from working on vehicles, I think I should know a little about them , don't you ?

I would have to agree with you that there isn't a perfect vehicle , or one to fulfill all my needs, thats the reason I own an LC, 911TT, a Subaru liberty GT and a Falcon BA , horses for courses mate .
    The LC 200 certainly meets my expectations for what I need her for and it does so better than most in my humble opinion and the opinion on most other people that buy them insted of buying Discos .

Have a read here from a UK website: http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/index.htm?md=815

What to Watch Out For

Latest or updated Disco 3s are fitted with four panel seat squabs that don't have the creasing problem. Three panel seats squabs do crease.

Air suspension compressor may fail.

Sunroofs may leak.

Terrain response system can fail.

Satnav screens can fail.

Bizzarely, if the engine pre-heater does not work, you can get it to by leaving the radio switched on the previous night. Software and wiring problem apparently.

Lots of suspension problems, mainly due to wiring faults.

Failures of 2.7 V6 diesels quite common, possibly due to failure of single turbo oil seals. (LandRover fits a single turbo version rather then the twin turbo in Jaguars, Citroens and Peugeots.)

One reader's saga from December 2005 to June 2006:-

-Clutch failed
    -Suspension failed
    -Brake problems - replace twice and adjusted a third time
    -Transmission failed
    - rear screen wiper unit replaced twice
    - passenger seat sensor replaced

Fair coment mate but where I live you can't even look at a house for under a mil $.

Quote Originally Posted by wrxhoon View Post

I'm not taking anything personally but I think you are . ...

Do you honestly think that all these people haven't done their homework?
    Do you really think you have a better knowledge ? Do you think you are more informed than them?? Do you think they are stupid to buy in inferior truck ?
    As I said to you before I made my living from working on vehicles, I think I should know a little about them , don't you ?

Sounds like you are taking it personally to me matey

I know, lets get all bent out of shape and jump online to find problems with the vehicles we dont own...I can get plenty on the Toyota too, but as I have said to you before its also about the quality of the drive for me and not having a boring ride for my 4wd which is what also attracts me to the Discoveries - off road ability in stock form is superior int he Disco in the main and that is also a factor for me.

I am not going to propound this debate any longer matey...I think we know where we stand ont he point. Im off to make some money cause I too work hard for mine

Cheers

I love these sorts of discussions...people get their noses out of joint, because THEIR CHOICE is the right one because they have one...On the internet anyone will find a stack of faults with all.. (personally, I prefer the Disco,) My personal slant on it is that Land Rover has been around forever & builds a very capable vehicle, Toyota & Nissan has been around for a long time & build very a capable vehicles..it's no good rubbishing anothers choice, just because you picked the other.. I see it along the lines of...for a long time the main 4x4s were Toyota, Nissan & Land Rover. Land Rover stayed agricultural, the others started putting all the luxuries in & LR slipped away a bit (but have caught up) except for the faithful. Due to the rabid support, It is almost at a stage where people will buy a Toyota or a Nissan because they don't want to appear stupid by buying something else because of comments from those that may have purchased for the same reason. Most of those that are so staunch in support will have little or no personal experience with the opposition, it will all be anecdotal, & on it goes..

Bottom line, buy what you prefer & to hell with what others think or say..

They are a bit like boats & fishing gear, you will never really get one that does everything that you want, so it's a bit of a compromise..

just my personal thoughts..

Good Afternoon All

I thought very long and hard last night about this highly emotional charged subject and concluded in the interests of world peace it would be best if we all went out and purchased a LADA 4WD.

I figure that if we are all driving one of them then the chances of us all agreeing we are driving buckets of shite would potentially lead to more luv'n in the world.No more my Cruiser is better than your Disco and so on,or is it the other way around .

I also figure ( and by this time i was mentally exhausted ) by following this course of action and only buying white ones would add to what would be a wonderful outcome.

Now the only potential problem to this solution is if somebody wanted to break ranks and purchase one other than white.

For Your Consideration

Steve

DoNotFeedTheTrollsAandBelligerent

The 200series cruisers are seriously top tier vehicles, nich needs aside i don't think anyone actually does think otherwise, if they do I cannot understand why, they just work very very well at what they do, crikey I hate driving them (100 series also) because I then have have no choice but to compare it to mine the next time I drive it and it drives almost like new.

It's all about nich's, my nich is that I am tight when it comes to paying a single dollar more to buy or keep a vehicle than absolutely necessary, this for me amounts to total refusal to buy any vehicle on credit, if I cannot pay just once in total for it I will do without, wait or set my sights lower to where I can pay cash without any sacrifice, hence my 96 GQ TD4.2 that i may beat to the pearly gates.

As it has stood for the last 15 years I have only had to pay $400 over and above the most basic maintenance and statutory costs once in any year to keep a vehicle I own on the road, I still have a sore head at the thought and waste of time and money, hence again why I can never own a cruiser or very possibly any modern large car ....ever....this also extends to boats too although less ridged being what they are to us here.

The cruiser is a right cracker of a vehicle just some have different final priorities, now where did i leave that winning lotto ticket because without one of them, flash will forever make me feel more pain than i have to gain.

cheers fnq

Quote Originally Posted by wrxhoon View Post
    Fair coment mate but where I live you can't even look at a house for under a mil $.
    Makes a fair dint in the deposit then wouldn't it........

FNQCAirns....we must be tarred with the one brush.
    I'm the same. If I have not got the money in my hands I don't really need it.
    So instead of $70+ car I have a $4,000 1996 Pajero to drive everyday.
    It has a camera, A/C, power steer, motor, 5 wheels, a steering wheel, radio, towbar, 5 seats, it's white and cannot depreciate much more then it already has .
    Services are cheap,insurance is cheap as chips, I don't care too much if it gets a scratch and the dogs can jump and play in the back.

I don't need anything else. But that's just me.
    I'd be happy as Larry still driving the Kingswood wagon but she's locked in the shed. I don't trust people very much where the Kingswood in concerned.
    This does not necessarily mean I cannot buy a new Landcruiser or Landrover.
    All I'd have to do is sell one of the houses and have oodles of cash to buy one.
    I just don't want to.

But if you want to spend $80-120,000 on a car then so be it. Enjoy
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good

Makes a fair dint in the deposit then wouldn't it........

FNQCAirns....we must be tarred with the one brush.
    I'm the same. If I have not got the money in my hands I don't really need it.
    So instead of $70+ car I have a $4,000 1996 Pajero to drive everyday.
    It has a camera, A/C, power steer, motor, 5 wheels, a steering wheel, radio, towbar, 5 seats, it's white and cannot depreciate much more then it already has .
    Services are cheap,insurance is cheap as chips, I don't care too much if it gets a scratch and the dogs can jump and play in the back.

I don't need anything else. But that's just me.
    I'd be happy as Larry still driving the Kingswood wagon but she's locked in the shed. I don't trust people very much where the Kingswood in concerned.
    This does not necessarily mean I cannot buy a new Landcruiser or Landrover.
    All I'd have to do is sell one of the houses and have oodles of cash to buy one.
    I just don't want to.

But if you want to spend $80-120,000 on a car then so be it. Enjoy

Finga i think it must be a disorder of some type, the TV keeps telling me I dont fit into what today actually means, who cares!

I try extremely hard to get a good deal on any large purchase, i bought the GQ quite cheap so i had near 3 years of depreciation free ownership up my sleeve which made me happy as a pig wallowing during that period...gone now!

Kit the kingswood out with an alarm and a solenoid in line near the fuel tank with a well hidden kill switch, then stuff em all.

cheers fnq