Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Barra Spin combo - Review

Barra Spin combo - Review

For well over 12 months , I've been on a bit of journey to find my ideal light barra spin combo - Not a stump puller often favored for impoundment barra - but a delivery tool capable of throwing lighter presentations like frogs & 4" soft plastic swim baits ....... but still being able to fish 20lb braid effectively.

During my search I was shown many rods ranging from cheaper ATC Hardsticks through to the Daiwa Steez Hotdog & Millerods TOAD ($100 to $750) - I had also trialed several & even bought a couple.......... but unless I was after a traditional rod for propelling heavier slick rigs etc , I just wasn't really getting anywhere as most offering just dont load up without really laying into a cast .

Eventually after quite a bit of research & seeing an example on a trip to Sydney .... I bit the bullet and ordered a Lucky Craft LCS 701HXF Reaction Tube (7ft , Action Heavy XF 6-20lb). Designed for deep cover large mouth bass - I thought it just might be what I was looking for.
    Initial impressions are one of a well made rod using quality single foot standard size Fuji SiC guides , Fuji IPS reel seet & 1st grade quality cork split grip - Bindings, trim , gold winding checks finishing off a nice looking rod.

Real World : Matched with a Daiwa Certate 3500 & 20lb Nitlon Braid Attachment 55996 - I was a little concerned that the reel may just be a little too large ..... though once fitted a balance point of directly over the spool made for a outfit that was very easy to work plastics with little fatigue.
    With the smaller guides - my initial leader set up involved the use of well made wind ons ...... these were quickly discarded as the fast action of the blank would see the wind on causing guide wrap. I reverted to fishing a short leader outside the tip ....... This significantly reduced the occurance of guide wrap.
    Casting frogs on weighted 6-8/O worm hooks were a breeze , upping the ante to 110 slick rigs no dramas though laying into a cast could raise a guide wrap ...... so a smooth casting action was called for .
    Fortunately my first use of the combo had me tangling with a 96cm & 101cm barra ...... & with both fishing running to & around cover good use of rod angles / drag pressure allowed me to chase the fish down. Once clear of obstacles , it was just a matter of upping the drag and resuming the fight Attachment 55999. with a blank that loads right through to the grip ...... 4kgs could be fished through the rod though you wouldn't want to high stick .

I've included a few photos that demonstrate the action of the blank

Attachment 55993 & Attachment 55994

This shows the rod fishing 4kgs of drag pulled against a 4kg weight Attachment 55995

In summary ..... this is not a stump pulling outfit - More to be used in open waters/ points & bays ...... great froggin outfit or up to 110mm slick rigs -- an awesome bit of kit for working placcys.
    The one real down side was like typical US bass rods , the guides are small and limit the type of knot used or leader length ( 12-18" with the knot outside the tip was the best)
    As for the Certate ( a 3000 size would possibly be the best choice with this rod - possibly) The certate continues to be my favorite spin reel (4 owned since their introduction some 7or8 years ago ) - being robust , smooth , exceptional drag (wish they used machined handles though) ..... certainly worth the money when purchased overseas. .... Noisy roller bearings seem to be common by most accounts.
    With my dislike of paying local prices for tackle - some astute buying had me put the outfit together for A$620 (locally it would be $940) - not a cheap outfit by any means but certainly quality ...... & well worth the money paid .................. I'm sure I'm going to get great use out of it

Cheers

Chris

PS Other rods of note were the Daiwa Steez Hotdog @ $650 , Samurai Reaction 402 @ $550 , Millerod Beast Buster TOAD @ $750 & the value rod being the Rapala X Rap 6-10 @ $300
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Re: Barra Spin combo - Review

Nice one Nagg........sounds like a nice finesse set up with a fair bit left in the tank for the big girls.....it's hard to find a good mix of both.

I've been toying with the idea of a spin set up for a while now.....my casting ability with them leaves a fair bit to be desired though....especially in the accuracy stakes.

I've got kistler on the brain ATM but i really wanna have a look around and not limit myself to what i already know......two years ago i would not have bought a rod unless it had a loomis badge on it......but now after buying some higher end daiwa and now the kistler it has opened up my eye's to a whole new field.

i'll keep trawling US sites for some more ideas ATM but i've been keen to have a look at the AIRRUS rods.......maybe i'll look into one of those next.

Cheers Dan

Always good to read about less publicised gear, thanks NAGG.
    What weight were the windons that you started with and what leader did you end up with?
    Cheers and thanks.

"Tackle Whore on a budget..."
    Gonzo II – Brooker 4.5m 40hp Yam & Outlaw Kayak
    Fish Well, Fish Egrell

http://www.ecofishersqld.org.au

Quote Originally Posted by Dan5 View Post
    Nice one Nagg........sounds like a nice finesse set up with a fair bit left in the tank for the big girls.....it's hard to find a good mix of both.

I've been toying with the idea of a spin set up for a while now.....my casting ability with them leaves a fair bit to be desired though....especially in the accuracy stakes.

I've got kistler on the brain ATM but i really wanna have a look around and not limit myself to what i already know......two years ago i would not have bought a rod unless it had a loomis badge on it......but now after buying some higher end daiwa and now the kistler it has opened up my eye's to a whole new field.

i'll keep trawling US sites for some more ideas ATM but i've been keen to have a look at the AIRRUS rods.......maybe i'll look into one of those next.

Cheers Dan
    You were my inspiration Dan

I've always been reasonably open minded to fishing rods - but usually go with mid to high end ....... The Loomis path & seeing what was available in their range (blank type , design , materials ) opened my eyes - The yanks do so much along this line .... St Croix , Falcon , Dobyns , lamiglass , Kistler etc .... most of which we dont see here & are often available for less than a Shimano T Curve.
    Yes the Japs do great/sensational stuff ...... but you usually pay for it in a big way.

Dont worry mate - i'm a much better caster with a bait cast outfit ...... but wear & tear in combination with flexibility had me needing a good spin outfit or 2 ( I can see my combos being 3 BC & 2 spin)

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by LostNearBribie View Post
    Always good to read about less publicised gear, thanks NAGG.
    What weight were the windons that you started with and what leader did you end up with?
    60 & 80lb (Eric Grell's type - as per his web site) & ended up with 55lb Schneider Klear
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Glad to see you finally found something that fit the bill.

Looks like it has a nice action and seeing it has already tangled with some fish, then the upside for you now is when someone shows you another good spin rod you will have a great base to work from with your existing rod.

Cheers

Lee

Hi Lee ........ Yeh , Finally

Its a reel shame that LC dont do a even heavier version - That would take care of my next one

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

A nice stick, ideal for hoiking smaller placs and fishing open water, and mine is married to a 3000 Kix with 30.
    Leave the leader knot on the outside is the go.
    A bit light on for muscle work, I hooked a big girl last Saturday arvo that floundred around on the top for 30 seconds before I could make an impression, glad it was open country!
    Ya lucky to still have it mate, it was looking noice sitting on the camp kitchen table at show and tel.
    BTW, that leader went OK

Quote Originally Posted by BR65 View Post
    A nice stick, ideal for hoiking smaller placs and fishing open water, and mine is married to a 3000 Kix with 30.
    Leave the leader knot on the outside is the go.
    A bit light on for muscle work, I hooked a big girl last Saturday arvo that floundred around on the top for 30 seconds before I could make an impression, glad it was open country!
    Ya lucky to still have it mate, it was looking noice sitting on the camp kitchen table at show and tel.
    BTW, that leader went OK

I was a little surprised with the amount of pressure that could be applied with such a light rod using a short pump & wind - certainly no issues with those fish of around a meter.
    As mentioned during our chat ..... It was never meant to be an alternative to an S10 - Its technique specific & most definitely a light more open water rod .

Glad you like the leader mate

Cheers

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Hooked up at 116 point with the Lucky Craft.

Did you try the Steez Power Junkie Chris? I've got one mated to a Daiwa Exist Hyper 2508 Branzino and it put the goods on a metre fish at Awoonga this year. I thought the Hot Dog was a little heavy for Barra.

Quote Originally Posted by aussiebasser View Post
    Did you try the Steez Power Junkie Chris? I've got one mated to a Daiwa Exist Hyper 2508 Branzino and it put the goods on a metre fish at Awoonga this year. I thought the Hot Dog was a little heavy for Barra.
    Hi Dale ........ I did see one a while back & at the time , I thought it might be a little too light ( wrightly or wrongly)

Hot dog would be great for belting out 110 & 130 slick rigs - It certainly has the guts - but its just an alternative to using a S10 imo

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

What did you think of the SJR844IMX Chris?

Toddy

IMO custom is a better alternative to higher priced rods, especially imports designed for other species as there's always a compromise. but then again i may be a little biased ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by wheezer View Post
    IMO custom is a better alternative to higher priced rods, especially imports designed for other species as there's always a compromise. but then again i may be a little biased ;-)
    dont worry Andrew ...... your offerings are still in the back of my mind - particularly when talking of $600 off the shelf rods rods ( I still want a all rounder) ........ fortunately this little stick cost me only $250

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO