Thread: Stolen 5Hp Outboard - Coomera Shores

Angry Stolen 5Hp Outboard - Coomera Shores

G'day Gang,
    I've been lurking around on these boards for awhile and love learning from you guys. My main interest is kayak fishing although I did recently get into small boats and bought my first tinnie (yay!) I bought a small Telwater punt and a 5HP motor, so that I can 'learn the ropes' before I get my boat license and upgrade.

Last night, 11FEB09 (late evening) some low-life pulled up at the front of my house on Tooraneedin Road at Coomera Shores (around the corner and a street back from the public boat ramp), detached my 5HP Mercury outboard from the back of my tinnie and snuck-off into the night.

I only moved into the area in August and have had the boat out the front while my newly laid turf settles in. It's pretty much a main road - just up the road from the Coomera Waters Marina, so I didn't think security would be much of an issue. That being said, I do have a boat lock fitted. Seriously, who would steal a 5Hp motor? You can only use it on a tinnie and as mentioned, I live one street away from the boat ramp; I, or one of the Ausfish crew will see you one day.

The outboard is a MERCURY 2000 model black, 5HP. The hood has a distinctive crack through it and it has had a fibre glass repair done to the underside. The serial number is ORO192SS, model number 1-F05201YL. The drain plug is well worn and you'd be hard pressed to undo it flush the motor. That being said the motor itself is in great condition.

Foolishly the boat wasn't insured (it is now!) ... it was one of those things I meant to get around to but have be to busy to follow up.

Fellow anglers of the Coomera region, if you can keep your eyes peeled it would be really appreciated. There's not that many 5HP Mercury motors around and it's going to be eventually fitted to a tinnie. I'm a small fish in comparison to some of the awesome watercraft in the area and am not too impressed with the morons who think they can freely take what somebody works hard for.

The theft has been reported to Coomera police and they are following up. If I see you, you will be sorry - I fish from the boatramp a lot and we WILL cross paths if you're a local.

BTW: If anybody else is looking for a kayak fishing buddy in the area, drop me a line.

Cheers,
    Jimbo
    Last edited by Jimbo_Coomera; 11-02-2010 at 06:05 PM. Reason: added photo

Re: Stolen 5Hp Outboard - Coomera Shores

JImbo, thats gotta suck...

I used to live around the corner form you in Tallawood rd and even back then, 12 years ago there were some low lifes living up there and we had stuff grow legs.

most weekend i try and get out on the water up your way, coomera/ paradise point area so ill have the eyes peeled.

wayno

Many thanks the support, Wayno!

My brother told me to contact QLD Transport as well. As the outboard serial number is currently registered against my tinnie registration, it will actually be flagged as 'stolen' on their database. If anybody attempts to register a boat using my engine serial number, the bells go off :-)

Cheers
    Jimbo

geez mate tuff break. I hate to think what the future will be like if this craps happens so frequently now, i feel sad for my kids