Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: WTF - Mondy Summer Sensations

WTF - Mondy Summer Sensations

Summer Sensations - Yeh right mind you the fishing was reasonable

Some times you go fishing to experience something a bit different ...... So with the considerable rains over the past week - (waters rising at 4cm / hour) & the forecast for plenty more ..... I wasn't willing to miss catching up with mates & fishing Mondy in rapidly changing conditions.
    With Obi-Wan joining me , we arrived intact & set up camp as fast as we could so as to have a quick look . Venturing to several familiar locations ..... It was nice to see favorite locations with a substantial rise in water levels (Sept 08 levels) . while nothing much happened except a miss on a X Rap .
    The first day we were fortunate enough the nail a 96cm barra (130 Slick rig)
    Attachment 55856 & John his very first mondy barra of 106cm (6" Hollow belly) . Even with the rise , we still found waters as high as 28.9 deg C. Losing a decent fish on a horny toad to a break in brand new braid left a bit of a sour taste ........ but all in all - off the dreaded nut & happy enough
    Saturday proved to be a scorcher with high almost unbearable conditions ...... some short strikes in waters that began to push 32 deg.... just didn't put the fish in a playing mood - the exception was Brian who put in a huge 15hr day for 3 fish - but for most it was lake misery.
    From a scorcher to a drenching...... tents full of water - torrents through the camp ground - miserable conditions on the lake (strong SE - N winds , chilly rain squalls & 4 deg water temperature drops) - smart people would have stayed off the water - & when you only manage a 56cm fish .... it was lunacy.
    A few of the boys did manage to find some fish at the end of a rainbow though ..... now known as Rainbow point .
    That night we alternated from a nice fire (pyros technique for lighting wet wood) to sitting in the camp kitchen & discussing tackle , techniques
    Attachment 55858 , leaders , lure modificationsAttachment 55857 & other things like bailing out a leaking tent ........ it was still a great night shared with good friends .
    Waking up with a wet mattress , sleeping bag just wasn't nice ..... & with the camp ground now a bog - what better things can you do than go fishing ....... we did do a fair bit of exploring & with the levels continuing to rise - some areas took on a totally different look ( we even found a little running stream)
    Attachment 55859 Eventually - we gravitated to the newly named Rainbow point & joined Brian in a bit of a fish ........ with a early missed fish on Basstrix Extreme vibration minnow ...... confidence was up - several more missed fish then John goes 101 , 100 , 104 in a short period that was sensational - followed by a hookup when i was retrieving my lure off a stump - A big fish of approx 110 was off around a couple of trees - Unfortunately with the boat facing away from the action ,by the time I chased on the leccy it was all over . After a bit of a lull - simon who was fishing nearby was hit but failed to connect - but I did ...... and after some astute freespooling i managed to chase down a 96 Attachment 55860 .
    not long after Simon is hit - loads up but the hooks pull ...... I/ve immediately cast into the location & hook up - but I was in trouble with a fish rampaging around timber & into deep weed - I unwrapped one tree , picked off 10kg of weed off the braid & proceeded to fish & chase - wrapped again & eventually picked through more weed - where John netted a 101 ..Attachment 55861..... a most satisfying fish on 20lb spin gear .
    Not long after ..... we were joined by Nath / Rob , Brian , Deano /Peter - but it was quiet with only Deano managing a small fish.
    Late in the session - Simon moved away to fish a deep point where he hooked up ........ watching some distance away - we could see he was in trouble (on his own) & so I decided to drive over to help ........ Straight over I net a 100cm fish Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Nipstas 100cm on plastic.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	81.0 KB 
ID:	55862

for him - his first on a placcy - welcome to the other side mate A day that could only be described as miserable with rain , wind changes , storms , lightning & but made up for by some nice barra

Done & dusted we settled into an evening of rain , camp fire ,rain & more rain.

The rest of the lads have another 5 days & we hear that Rainbow Point fired again with 5 fish landed early this morning - hopefully it continues to do so for them.

It was an interesting trip , While not a great deal of fish were landed - & suffering from missed fish in mostly pretty poor / atrocious conditions...... John landing his first , second ,third & forth Mondy barra - we were mostly pleased & glad to get home to a dry bed.
    Once again it was great to catch up and share a fire with Shane , Pete , Nath , Deano , Simon , Pete , Rob , Brian (shadow boxer) , Noel & John on the back court + plus the local Ambo (Steve) who paid us a visit.

Cheers

Chris

P:S - John can you please add the piccys of your fish
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Re: WTF - Mondy Summer Sensations

I was at Maroochydore and Wet & Wild not a drop all week.A few pointers at wet and wild but. lol.At least fish were caught and friendships rekindled.
    Paulo

great report chris looks like we had to leave a day early again bugger it frog man is due here soon to pick up a bit of is gear

shane

Hi Chris,,, Bloody hell mate you blokes are keen you all deserve every fish caught..... Well done to all

Cheers Baz

Hi Chris, i haven't down loaded the pic's yet, but you got the length of my first fish wrong, it was 106 cm, remember the 10 difference??????????

Still trying to dry out, soggy sleeping bag, wet clothes, wet every thing plus a good layer of mud, what a bloody mess that camping ground is.

The rain did we tell you about the bloody rain and how cold it was, how good is it to have a wet butt for 4 days, rain running down your neck, rain coat on rain coat off, what a bugger of a thing, misserable.

I will do a post a bit later with pictures etc.

Cheers,
    John.

PS. Chris, can you post your pictures with the fish 2x 96, 1x54 and 1x101 so i can put your score in the Mondy Cup up.

Great work in tough conditions Chris & John.....the Mondy Cup is heating up.

Someone needs to tell us where Rainbow Point is.....

We will be up there next week - God only knows how high the water will be then!

Rain, wet beds and mud.....hmmmm, the cabins are sounding more and more like the best option!!

Regs

Pete & Kyle

Quote Originally Posted by Peter4 View Post
    Great work in tough conditions Chris & John.....the Mondy Cup is heating up.

Someone needs to tell us where Rainbow Point is.....

We will be up there next week - God only knows how high the water will be then!

Rain, wet beds and mud.....hmmmm, the cabins are sounding more and more like the best option!!

Regs

Pete & Kyle
    Hi Pete

You'll be blown away by the place

If you were tied off a Pepper point - it would take a long cast to reach the bank now.
    My Reflective Markers are now under water

Mate as for Rainbow ........ I'd be killed if I told you !

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Well i say it was a good trip even though the rain was a dead set shame for the camping area and all of our gear . Other then that had a great good company great time on the water and good laughs cant ask for more then that.
    Thankyou to CHris and john for helping me land the fish by netting it for me it helped save my back just a little longer then it would have if i didi it so thanks again it was the least chris could do after i handed him that fish on a platter damm that was funny
    Any way im sure the other will have more storys to tell so till next time
    Cheers

As for rainbow point its in the damm trust us

Great to read a report finally about the weekend Chris. Sounds like another few steps in the learning curve. It must have been exciting seeing and taking part in a fishery that was changing on a daily basis. Well done to John on his first Mondy barra and then adding a few more. Be interested to see how the Mondy cup is sitting after this week. - cheers Richard

Top report Chris and well done to all, particularly John...that's a hot little sess mate 1, 2, 3....glad to see a few of the boys are continuing to get some fish.

I had a dry bed for those days but think I would have swapped it to be up there with you lot.

Cheers
    Paul
    Ranger 188VX - "Sweet Chariot"

Nice work guys.

Looks like a ball was had by all.

I have to get back up there again asap and i tihnk i might start planning a trip soon.

Cheers

Lee

Bit wet there blokes, John good work on getting your Mondy Barra.
    The Naggster. Hail rain or shine you still manage to come up with the goods. Scotty and l shall be there tomorrow untill Sunday Talk soon

Quote Originally Posted by Awoonga View Post
    Bit wet there blokes, John good work on getting your Mondy Barra.
    The Naggster. Hail rain or shine you still manage to come up with the goods. Scotty and l shall be there tomorrow untill Sunday Talk soon
    Good luck trev last i heard the lads will still getting a few that was yesturday morning session .
    Me i made the right call to come home my back is just about stuffed again so igot things done and packed while i could still move

Tuff conditions guys but I'm still sorry we missed it. John great to see you smack some silver ladies it's been a long time coming!!! Bring on June!!!
    Cheers Kim.
    Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders and says...
    'Oh Shit.....she's awake'