Thread: 2 Speed overhead reels. Do they get their use?

2 Speed overhead reels. Do they get their use?

Hi all. Am thinking about buying another Shimano Tyranos 30 reel. Am thinking about getting a 2 speed. Would love some feed back on their performance. Is the second speed really of use? Any thoughts would be great!

Re: 2 Speed overhead reels. Do they get their use?

Low speed wouldbe usefull if you are lifting heavy stubborn fish like sharks, large tuna, giant trevally etc.
    I wouldn`t consider using a 2 speed reel with anything under 80 pound line.
    Just my opinion, others will differ.

Some are using large spin reels like the Stellas for big fish, and they are single speed.
    I imagine it won`t be long before we see 2 speed spin reels.
    Last edited by reggy; 08-02-2010 at 08:23 PM. Reason: additions

tyranos 30..... single speed for sure low gear on these reels is just a waste start looking at a 2 speed once you get to a 50 and definately an 80 but no way a 30, spools to small to need low gear!

ian
    Alcohol doesn't agree with me, but i sure do enjoy the argument!!!

absolutely no point in having a two speed reel in that range. Just more to go wrong. Like Ian said..once you get to 50 and above, then 2 speed reels are an option. And if your going to fish more than 15kg B/S line over a 2 speed 30, then you will probably kill it anyway...they are still built for 30lb line. Sorry...one of my soapbox issues is people expecting reels to perform with B/S line way over what they are engineered for.

Greg

I'm going to have to agree with Reggy on this one.
    I use a TLD 20A with 50 pound for live baiting big kings and AJ's. When you trying to get them up as quick as possible initially to keep them out of the reef the low gear comes in handy.
    Dan

I've got a Tyrnos 30 II speed. Never used the low gear. Have caught fish up to 20kg on it. Maybe if a Marlin jumped on I might use the low gear.

I also have a Tyros 30 II. Used low gear once. God knows what it was I had hooked, never saw it. But it was nice to have just that once...

IMO if you can afford it why not? Reliability and weight issues aside, of course.

Cheers,

Tim
    Carbon Really Ain't Pollution.

I have a Tyronos 30 single speed with 80lb and haven't had a drama or issue
    I had a daiwa 30 in the 2 speed but never used it in lower gear just to test it on a whaler once and that was all.
    JT
    VHF CHANNEL 21
    CALL SIGN : JT OR SC552(social club member)

There is a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot

I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be without sponges

Up here we Use Hussar as baits for real RED FISHS (SHSIIFDER)

Mate some of the game boys give you the old " Harden the f... up!!!" if you go to low speed on a 80w with a 200kg fish attached to the other end!!!! Trust me you dont need a 2 speed 30!

Ian

Ps. there is a guy in the spgfc that is known to all and sundry as "Low Gear" it's not a term of endearment! He has tried to change it to "Big Girls Blouse" but they wont let him!
    Alcohol doesn't agree with me, but i sure do enjoy the argument!!!