Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kayak for a big man????

Kayak for a big man????

Gday all,

so the wife and i have decided to get ourselves a kayak each, after testing a few out my wife is keen on the Viking espri.
    i on the other hand i have not tested as many so i have not found one i like.
    i have tried the extreme bandit and come a croppa just paddling.
    i am a big bloke and apparently pretty unco as well, so im looking for something thats stable with good capacity. i am looking for something to fish from mainly.
    has anyone got any suggestions or any idea what kayak would suit? should i go for a tandem? should i buy a tinoo?

any advice would be great

thanks in advance

Re: Kayak for a big man????

One of these will hold a BIG fella and is very stable. They just came off special at around $800

http://www.bcf.com.au/online-store/p...spx?pid=215161
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

mate im a big fella too and i found it hard to get a kayak that would carry my weight and be comfortable, then i saw this beautiful looking kayak in the bush n beach mag had a wheel and lots of storage, plenty of space and most of all 200kg's carrying capacity. these guys are down the goldie and have a few dealers around australia and the prices are fair, not as cheap as the viking but still fair.

any ways heres the website, they have more to look at i have just given the one i was looking at
    http://www.activewatersports.com.au/...ayak/moken-10/

Mate, the Extreme Outlaw would be the go, not the bandit.
    I'm 120kg+ and have had the Outlaw for nearly 2 years.
    I have never felt unsafe while on the water.
    Cheers and thanks.

"Tackle Whore on a budget..."
    Gonzo II – Brooker 4.5m 40hp Yam & Outlaw Kayak
    Fish Well, Fish Egrell

http://www.ecofishersqld.org.au

I have a Venus Fish from the big snake place.. I am a big unit and have had no dramas. All set up for fishing as well..

I had a Malibu X factor will hold 230kg, now have a Stealth BFS will hold 210kg. I could stand and cast in the X Factor so I reckon its what you are looking for.

cheers for the advice men, most of the kayaks suggested i had not seen so the excersice was definatly worth it. i will check all of them out.

cheers

Maybe we could start the Big Unit Yak Club...
    Cheers and thanks.

"Tackle Whore on a budget..."
    Gonzo II – Brooker 4.5m 40hp Yam & Outlaw Kayak
    Fish Well, Fish Egrell

http://www.ecofishersqld.org.au

If your missus is going viking, check out the profish and tempo's, tempo's a bit more stable and slower, both will take a lot of weight.

Have a look in BCF at the Angler3 , it's a monster, short and wide.....
    $699
    I was very tempted to buy one at opening of Maroochydore store, they were $399
    randell

cheers Randell,
    i did spot those things today when i was supposed to be working. they are huge and the price would have been perfect at $399.00
    tinny and tackle show in less than 2 weeks. lets see who wants to do a deal or two

Mate,

I'm 6 foot 4 inch tall and weight just over 100kgs. Something that was said to me right at the start of my kayak fishing life was to get something that is minimum 3 meters long. If you get anything less than that the thing will sit low in the water and take a heap of energy to get up on a plane. I'd suggest the same to you.

Also as a couple of others have mentioned, factor in the overall capacity (i.e. you + gear etc.) and get a yak that has a good capacity. This is one factor that a lot of folks get wrong. I have a 2006 Hobie Outback which has a capacity of something like 150kgs and I do have a bit of gear on it at times.

Go and demo a few different brands/models at either kayak stores like Adventure Outlet (Southport), Sunstate Hobie (Cooroy) etc. All kayak retailers have demo days or allow you to either take a yak away to demon or have demo days so you can try out heaps of yaks. The other alternative is get to know some yak fishos through so of the yak fishing clubs and forums and go and meet them at a gathering. We are always only too happy to let you demo our yaks. You'll also get some ideas about how you might kit it out as well.

Cheers,

Pete
    ====================
    Hobie Outback 2012 &
    Hobie Oasis 2012
    ====================

Hey Pete

Don't forget Hobie are now at Rivergate Marina, Murarrie in Brisbane as well. A lot closer than Cooroy.

Blog Entries

Have you considered a canoe ??? I have a coleman scanoe ( square back jobby that will take a small outboard )
    Great for fishin x 2 people , as stable as it gets .