Thread: Bream on Soft Plastics?

Question Bream on Soft Plastics?

Been fishing plastics for 18 months now and had heaps of success catching flathead and snapper.

But have never caught a bream!

I'm not looking for spots........just leader sizes, jighead weights & hook sizes and also techniques for working the plastics.

I use the twitching and burn & kill technique with the flatties, same with Bream?
    Thats another one for the Punisher!

Re: Bream on Soft Plastics?

G'day mate,

I've never managed a bream on plastics, but this video might help you out.

Cheers,
    Kaidon
    Conservation NOT preservation!

caught em using 2inch gulp shrimp on light 1/12th #1 hooks jigheads while drifting....

but then ive had flatties, squire and others on the same rig..

cheers chris
    Last edited by Ozie_3; 08-02-2010 at 09:19 PM. Reason: added pic

I find it heaps easier to catch Bream on small hardbodies, grab yourself a few Ecogear SX40's and cast them near rock walls, submerged trees and rockbar's.

If you really want to catch them on plastics though grab some 2" gulp shrimps in new penny and banana prawn, jighead size will depend on the current and depth.

cheers tim

Breakthelines, I was also in the same boat as you and trust me once you nail the first one the others just seem to follow.
    I agree with Tim the hardbodies are good fun but can get expensive in the snags. I fish mainly the brisbane river and other estuaries close by and find that the best way is to find the structure and using the lightest leader I can (6-8lb) and fish usually a 1/8 - 1/4 jig and have had success on bream with the 4" turtlebacks and the 3"grubs Banana Prawns 2''...

2 inch gulp shrimp in bannana prawn with 1/60th tt hidden weight on size 1 or 2 hook. Line class 2-4pd, leader 4-6pd. Skip cast tight up against pontoon or boat hull (one with plenty of algae and barnacle growth) and 'deadstick' whilst it slowly sinks like a wounded or stunned prawn, you can also use any current to ensure that your plastic gets right in under the structure this way. Watch your line closely for any movement at all which could indicate a bite or a fish moving off with the plastic. If you watch your line you will also be able to tell when the plastic has hit the bottom and once it has you can then give a light flick to immitate a panicked prawn and allow to sink again. Keep your ears open in canal areas as you can hear the bream crunching on the barnacles and sometimes they also suck at the algae right at te surface and you can hear this quite well as it sounds like a big wet kiss. Using polaroid sunnies will also allow you to see these fish in these places. Always cast to the shady spots as the bream will be hiding out of the sun.

Hardbodies are an awesome way to catch fish also but I have found that the best lures are japanese and cost a small fortune every time a big bream takes a liking to them.

Kev