Thread: Awoonga - hit the reset button

Awoonga - hit the reset button

Hit the dam this morning after a week of rain. Dam risen over 2m.

Talk about hitting the reset button and starting a whole new game.

Got to the ramp and felt a strange tension wondering how the haunt's of old now look.

First dash up to the top of Iveragh. Think there could have been more trees floating than still attached to the ground. Definite watch out country. After a look see and a topwater flick, time to move.

Today was a quick planned recon trip to see how the mighty Girl looks. Have to be home for the trouble & strife. Plus want another pass for tomorrow.

Trees at entrance to Iveragh used to be a favourite years ago and remember battling fish right in the middle of them. Once again they are wet. YES

Heading toward Dingo, cant help looking at new bays, trees, banks that were well out the water last weekend. See that Eagle's Nest is new ground now.

Island out front of New Zealand gully is GONE............ Into Cormorant (Aussie, as some call it). All the weed beds are well under now.

Next head to my favourite snag at spot X. Halleluyah its wet again and plenty of water surrounds it.

Lots of debris in the back of all the bays. Will take some windy days to blow it clear i suppose.

Have a fish on Spot X only to be seriously bent over and royally rogered by some huge fish playing VERY dirty in the snags & debris. 3 huge bust offs, 1 hit n miss. Sees Barra 4 - Gazza 0

Can't wait for tomorrow now.

Gaz

Re: Awoonga - hit the reset button

mate it sounds all good for the dam cant wait to get up there soon , did you see if the back of kens bay covered up in the sticks ,the trees on the left going into iveragh are my favourate have been cleaned up a few times in that bunch might catch you on the water some time up there cheers AL

Thanks for the report Gaz, sounds like a very interesting scenario! At least you had a bit of barra action to go with the noew exploring. Love the teminology. 'royally rodgered'...YEP if feels like that sometimes with these brutes hey!!!

Thanks again.

Cheers Steve

Went up to Awoonga on the Saturday just gone and launched the boat from the Ubobo end of the dam and i have never seen the dam so alive. I arrived at about 8am and the barra were constantly hitting the surface hard right through to 1pm. Threw everything in our tackle box at them (hollow bellies, xraps, frogs, classics you name it) but they didnt want to play the game only had a single hit throughout the whole session. Going to try again wednesday afternoon and see how I go.

I too was up there on Saturday water temp was down to 24c. The main basin temp was around 29c The only thing that l could get a look at was a fizzer. No hookups

Hit the dam again yesterday for another crack at them.

Very slow morning indeed. Spot X from the day before where I had been royally rogered 4 - 0 wasn't the same snag. Had only one boil - no hook-up.

Continued to check out some of the other OLD favourites. Managed an 83cm on weedless soft plastic in the lilly pads near Dingo.

The cut through at Rabbit Is is passable again.

Jurassic again has that old drop-off and bank that has seen some mighty drift in the past. Can't wait.

Got to the elbow up the Boyne arm and watched the storm smashing around Calliope somewhere. Storm then decided to head our way.

Battening down the gear, got ready for a WET run home. Raincoat only provided protection for me from most of the stinging rain while JP hit behind my seat cushion for some protection. Think he felt like a golf ball once back to the ramp.

All in all quite slow and feel lucky for the 1 fish.

Gaz