Thread: Penn Slammer 760 or Spinfisher 850SSM

Penn Slammer 760 or Spinfisher 850SSM

Looking for a reel to go with a M10 rod for spinning up spotties and longtails in the bay and GTs further up north.

Nothing fancy. Just a good hard working reel that can stand being knocked about a bit and not being looked after all that well.
    I've got a 850 US made on another rod and it's stood up well and I'd like to go with the 850SSM for the other rod for my son, but I'm getting mixed reports as the the quality, strength and general durability of the chinese 850.

I've seen a few reports of people using the Slammer 760, not the baitrunner version, and I'm after recommendations as to which would be the better reel to suit my needs.

Re: Penn Slammer 760 or Spinfisher 850SSM

G'day Hodgo,

I'd go the 760 slammer for longtails as it has a bit more up its sleeve for retrieve than the 850ss and still has heaps of drag capacity too.

I have both, no problems with either and the chinese build quality is not an issue for me - its been performing fine - only real difference is the chinese version, you can't replace the main bearings which affects the rebuildability/maintenance side of things.

You're just up the road from me, I'd be happy for you to trial both the 760 slammer and the 850 spinfisher so you can feel the difference before you commit to buy.

Let me know if that is an option you would like to explore

cheers

Rhys
    ><((((º>.¸.•'´¯)

Life is a mystery to be lived, not a problem to be solved, Gabriel Marcel

Rhys
    Thanks for replying to my question and the offer to try both reels.
    I'll wander down to the local shop this afternoon and have a look at both. I've never seen a slammer before.

Quote Originally Posted by revs57 View Post
    I'd go the 760 slammer for longtails as it has a bit more up its sleeve for retrieve than the 850ss and still has heaps of drag capacity too.
    When you say the slammer has a bit more up its sleeve for retrieve, do you mean it is a bit faster in retrieve speed. How's the drags of the two compare. Is the 850's drag larger due to its what appears to be a larger spool diameter and therefore smoother under pressure.

Sorry for the questions but I'd rather ask someone who has used them rather thansome of the tackle store employees.

thanks
    John

Have had the 850 for about 3 n a 1/2 - 4 years now and never done any maintenance on it apart from giving it a wash after each trip. The only thing that has happened is the pin that holds the grip on the handle broke, quickly fixed that with a bolt and a few washers. Other then that I cant fault it and for the price of them ($159 at Jones tackle) you cant go wrong. I should also mention that this reel usually sits in the rod holder in the back corner of my boat and is constantly copping waves and spray on most trips.
    marto

Yeah John, the slammer has a better retrieve ratio for ripping the lures in - from memory the 850 ss is somewhere around 3.8:1 from memory and the Slammer is around 4.5 or something :1. The slammer has an oversized drag underneath the spool and pulls around 14kg out of the box. Not sure what the max 850ss drag is but it is behind the drag knob on the front of the spool.

The centre shaft on the slammer is xos, and I think I'd be using the slammer before the 850 for your stated purpose. Now that being said, the 850 would still do a good job

cheers

Rhys
    ><((((º>.¸.•'´¯)

Life is a mystery to be lived, not a problem to be solved, Gabriel Marcel

John

I bought a 760 slammer after Rhys gave them the big rapt. Had it for a couple of years and it has never let me done.

Steve

I've owned a 760 Slammer for about 12 months, i reckon it'll last me years, built simple with big strong gears inside..... just can't see it ever failing.
    Also i imagine the size and weight of the 760 Slammer would be easier on the arms after a long session as compared to the 850's......
    Go the Slammer mate, you'll be happy.
    Bundy Rum.......... Not just great for breakfast.