Thread: Moon Phases

Question Moon Phases

G/day

Been procrastinating on this for a while but havent done the homework to establish any relationship with catch success. I know the salties place a high degree of credibility in this phenomena as to when to fish, have often wondered whether the fresh water exponotes do likewise and what is the proven relationship.

Louie

Re: Moon Phases

Louie,

Its a bit quiet on this board at the moment as plenty of the regulars are up fishing at the moment.

Are you talking barra, bass or other fresh water species??

For the sake of it, I will say impoundment vs wild fish in general

This topic is a hotly debated one in impoundments fishing of all species. I personally beleive there is increased bit activity around the better cycle of the moon (most lunar predicting devices) have a merit of accuracy IMO..but there are plenty of other factors, especially the weather.

There is bloke who posts here, Dick Pasfield. He is a guru over in the west with the wild fish. He has a graph of catch rates during different moon phases/day vs night. its quite interesting. he is an extremely experience bloke, and knowlegeble in this area. Its in a thread about moon phases, I will dig it up and post it. All the info is in that. Johnny Mitchell (one of the most knowledgeable/experienced and natural scientific impoundment gurus) has some excellent info in there too. Well worth a read if I can find it.

Cheers Steve

Re: Moon Phases

Steve

Look forward to reading the post. I am acquainted with the fact that water levels in major storages are effected by by the lunar cycle, difficult fact to clearly establish as prevailing wind changes effect water level recording instrumentation repeatability of measurements to a higher degree. Another interesting fact established by US Hydrographers is that it can take up to 6 days for the level in a major storage to reach equilibrium after a a prevailing wind abates. Therefore you can get a tide within a tide at a given point on the storage perimeter!

Still uncertain whether freshwater fish are affected by this phenomena.