Thread: Eden Bann Weir

Eden Bann Weir

Hi Guys,

can you launch a tinny at Eden Bann weir and whats the closest camping??

cheers

Re: Eden Bann Weir

OK, easier question, has anyone fished the Fitzroy near Eden Bann. Its not that far from Rocky,

cheers

Ok, how about anyone live near Rockhampton that fishes fresh water?

Must be someone who has fished the joint?

Ok, ok I will respond, there are a few of us, Ausfishers, that live in Rocky and Yeppoon.

For the none locals, Eden Ban is a SUNWATER owned and operated weir at Yaamba on the Fitzroy river (about 40kms north of Rockhampton). Its where rockhampton pumps their water from (soon to supply Yeppoon too). Not that big around 35ML, nearly always at 100%, local Fitzroy River stocking group stock barra fingerlings in small numbers. Lots of catties and eels. Saratoga are native to river. Platypus can be seen too. Sooty grunter and yellow belly are also native to the catchment, not sure if they are in eden ban but its likely.

Boomi boy, to your questions I have fished it a couple of times from the bank for a few small barra and lots of catties. I did see a sunwater tinny on the weir one visit, not sure where they got in but there are a few likely areas close the Yaamba community. There is ramp of sorts downstream from weir near the pumping station. Closest official camping would be at Yaamba. However I have friend who grew up at Yaamba, they used to camp where ever they wanted. I will ask him again and see if I can get some specific details for you.

Generally, freshwater fishing for me are trips to Awoonga, Callide, Cania and the freshwater billabongs around the city and the coast.

Hope this helps.
    Peter

Thanks Skeeter, I quite enjoy fishing rivers. I have a yak as well as a tinny so it sounds the yak is the go. I also like exploring new places and don,t mind catching catties on lures on the lighter gear, and maybe a toga?

thanks again BB

I've never fished Eden Bann but am told that the barra can be good there at times. There are plenty of barra in the fresh reaches above the barrage, thanks to half a dozen stocking groups. I've only lived here a few years but there's a boat ramp accessible from the road that runs past the Etna Ck prison, and some very good barra fishing close to that ramp. I'm told by the parkies that most of the crocs in the Fitzroy are above the barrage and that would make me nervous in a kayak...
    If you want toga it might be better to try further upstream? I've fished Bingegang, Tartrus, and Bedford weirs quite a bit and there's heaps of them there. Fisheries surveyed last year (following up from the mine water discharge debacle) and got 60 toga in their first 2 net drops at Tartrus. Great sight fishing at all of them late in the dry season. I have not been back to any of them since the impounded mine waters were allowed to be released in 2007 - hopefully the fish are still there.
    cheers
    kev

Quote Originally Posted by Kev_McC View Post
    I'm told by the parkies that most of the crocs in the Fitzroy are above the barrage and that would make me nervous in a kayak...

Thanks Kev, I,ve got no intention of playing with handbags, no yak then.

I will check out your other suggestions. I,m planning a bit of a road trip with no real destinations except to start near Bundy and do a bit of a loop. I,ve had some good fishing on the Dawson, Moura Weir was great, but I enjoy checking out new places,

thanks again. BB