Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: North Qld this weekend

North Qld this weekend

Hey guys,

I am a bit new to this whole spearing thing and was just wondering if there was anyone from up north Queensland way that would be able to tell me what they think the vis will be like this weekend out at the reef off Lucinda. Was thinking of heading out early Saturday morning for a dive in trout ally but with all the recent rain don't know if its worth it.

Cheers,
    Nidrac

Re: North Qld this weekend

I reckon it'll be pretty dirty a fair way out, but if I were you, I'd take a rod and a box of squid just in case, supposed to be glassy this w/e. That way if its clear, jump in and have a spear, if not, then drop a line down, either way its not a waste heading out

Yeah mate that was the plan anyway as the old man fishes in the boat while we dive but 5 people in a boat with diving gear for 3 people doesn't leave too much room for moving around so trying to work out if we leave the diving stuff at home, either way we'll be taking advantage of the weather...

Cheers, Nidrac

Bramble might be okay but there has been a fair bit of run so maybe it has pushed out to there. Good forecasts though!!

geez, it's tough for you blokes up there. should we dive and spear our coral trout or catch them on rod and reel?

oh, the stress you guys must be under when making these hard decisions.

and to top it off your soccer team beat my hapless Newcastle Jets last night as well.

almost enough to make me what to move north... I said almost

I reckon you will get at least 15 metres which should be enough for the reef. Just don't dive furing the big run times.

Lucinda to Innisfail had nowhere near the amout of rain as Townsville or Cairns (both flooding). A bit unusual Tully missing out on the rain, im still in shock. The Tully & Hull rivers had very little run out, just a bit of brown water from the Hull, and small flow for the Tully.

What I am getting at is that our reefs should be quite clear, Lucinda down might murk up a little bit more

Yesterday I was a few k's inside Otter Reef and the water look very clear to me, I am not a diver though. A bit further down on Bramble might not be so clean.

Cheers

Thanks for all your help, i think i'll just run the risk and take the gear... last chance i'll get for a while so might as well take advantage considering last time i jumped in i couldn't see to the end of my gun..

Cheers,
    Nidrac.

Quote Originally Posted by Chopper Taylor View Post
    geez, it's tough for you blokes up there. should we dive and spear our coral trout or catch them on rod and reel?

oh, the stress you guys must be under when making these hard decisions.

and to top it off your soccer team beat my hapless Newcastle Jets last night as well.

almost enough to make me what to move north... I said almost

Haha life up here is full of them tough decisions mate... so we normally do both, spear them for half the day then catch them by line for the rest..

as for the soccer.. hey they have to pull one out of there a*se every now and then..

Nidrac

i pretty much always take diving gear.. and if its dirty just keep going wider!!

Quote Originally Posted by kokomo View Post
    i pretty much always take diving gear.. and if its dirty just keep going wider!!
    Haha i like that type of thinking... i would do it however have promised the missus a trip out so have to limit the traveling time...

Quote Originally Posted by nidrac View Post
    Thanks for all your help, i think i'll just run the risk and take the gear... last chance i'll get for a while so might as well take advantage considering last time i jumped in i couldn't see to the end of my gun..

Cheers,
    Nidrac.
    Think that is a good decision you don't need 150+foot viso every dive. And pin a cray also, goodluck.

If you are out Saturday let us know the vis and where. I may go Sunday if your report is good.

Thanks sagair...

yeah no worries boney-leg I'll try get something up saturday night if i can..

Nidrac

Hey guys,

boney-leg sorry i didn't get a chance to put anything up saturday night... did you end up heading out?
    we attempted to head out early saturday morning as planned but didn't even get off the trailer, we just had the motor serviced and the water pump changed and turns out whoever put in in didn't even screw it down so it wasn't pumping any water at all.. Not Happy at all... we ended up taking the tinny out to the little reefs off the front of forrest beach in glassy conditions, we would have caught easily 50-60 nanny's and reds all between 25-40cm in less than 2.5hrs, we did end up with a couple grassies though.

Cheers, Nidrac.