Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: High Speed Spinning Reel

High Speed Spinning Reel

HI All trying to get some advice on a replacement or addition to my reel collection I currently use a shimano Tss4 for casting leads and big surface poppers in the surf .
    What would be a equally as good a reel as the current one i use

Re: High Speed Spinning Reel

I have a Daiwa Emblem pro 5500a... Very impressed with it.

I use a Shimano Stella 5000SW for my spinning. Nice high speed ratio and a dream to use. Probably the most used reel I have now and glad I spent the dollars... Im sure there are a few posts here a few years back with me stating i'd never spend those sort of dollars on a reel but how my mind has changed..... Stella all the way for me and well worth the dollars.

Cheers

Chris
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Quote Originally Posted by Chamelion View Post
    I have a Daiwa Emblem pro 5500a... Very impressed with it.
    Second that. Good value for money and casts to New Zealand.

Get onto Stripers Online and check out the gear they use.
    The waterproof Van Stalls (big $) seem to be number one with the Quantum Cabos, Saltists, Saragossas and even Speros being popular.
    I would not use an Emblem Pro for real wet work. My brother has had a lot of issues with his just from exposure in a centre console never mind a real dunking in sandy water.
    I personally dont think you can beat the old TSS4. Its light, fast, mainly plastic and has wide tolerances that don't jam up with a grain of sand
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

thankyou for all ya info what do yous think of diawa saltist ?

The Saltist is a re-badged Saltiga Blast, which is a very decent reel. However, first there are reports of the newer Saltist being crap compared to the original Saltiga Blast. And secondly, it's not really a dedicated lure/spinning reel, more like a cheaper jigging reel.

Imo, there are no reels (except maybe Van Staals?) that will survive sand without a lot of regular TLC. I have both the TSS4 and the Emblem Pro, and whilst the Emblem is definitely a better (smoother, better line lay) reel, for beach work I use... an Okuma Epix! The paint job is crap but they're well built, got a 6:1 ratio, spare spool, enough drag for spotties,tailor,etc. and the best part is that you can get an EFS 60 from eBay for less than AUD $100 delivered!!!

Quote Originally Posted by metaloid View Post
    The Saltist is a re-badged Saltiga Blast, which is a very decent reel. However, first there are reports of the newer Saltist being crap compared to the original Saltiga Blast. And secondly, it's not really a dedicated lure/spinning reel, more like a cheaper jigging reel.

Imo, there are no reels (except maybe Van Staals?) that will survive sand without a lot of regular TLC. I have both the TSS4 and the Emblem Pro, and whilst the Emblem is definitely a better (smoother, better line lay) reel, for beach work I use... an Okuma Epix! The paint job is crap but they're well built, got a 6:1 ratio, spare spool, enough drag for spotties,tailor,etc. and the best part is that you can get an EFS 60 from eBay for less than AUD $100 delivered!!!
    My mate had that same Okuma and it was way for sensitive to salt than any other reel either of us has owned... He replaced it with a Pflueger Medalist 6070 and couldn't be happier.

If you want minimal maintainance -
    Zeebaas.
    http://www.zeebaas.com/products.php
    Van Staal in 2nd place.
    Then the old Mitchell 498/9 that may have inspired the above and is still a good reel, or the 488/9 if you want a bail arm................or another TS4, all available from Ebay .
    Big $$$$ for the US reels though they would last a lifetime I would think.
    The Ebay jobs for way, way less!
    Cheers.

The Saltiga Blast is the same as the Catalina but without the power handle. The Saltist is not the same or even close to the Blast / Catalina. Still it may be a decent reel for a price half that of the Blast / Catalina. Catalina has a jigging model and a spinning model while the new Saltists are ideal for spinning with a lightning retrieve rate but quality has been questioned in some threads.

I didnt mention the Saltist before but bought from the US is def an option and in a similar price range to the Emblem and Tss4.

wow heaps of chioces so far im stillno sure opn which way to go but i wil keep researching

Check out the Daiwa Seagate. Good retreive speed, and good value for money.

The Saltiga Blast is the same as the Catalina but without the power handle. The Saltist is not the same or even close to the Blast / Catalina. Still it may be a decent reel for a price half that of the Blast / Catalina. Catalina has a jigging model and a spinning model while the new Saltists are ideal for spinning with a lightning retrieve rate but quality has been questioned in some threads.
    Oops, my bad... Must have been reading too many reel reviews and got my catalina/saltist mixed up! My apologies for the confusion..

My mate had that same Okuma and it was way for sensitive to salt than any other reel either of us has owned... He replaced it with a Pflueger Medalist 6070 and couldn't be happier.
    Well, I've been using the EFS for a few years and they're my goto reel for spinning tailors/darts in the surf. For me they're a good alternative to breaking the bank, but I'm sure others like your mate have their own fav reels.

Now just to confuse the situation even-more, anyone got their hands on a Cedros by any chance?

Mate if you want a easy maintenance, not too expensive, bullet proof high speed spin reel with tried and tested strong drag, go the PENN 950 SSM, you'll be able to buy a couple of them for the same price as the other..
    Fillet and Release Squad

Quote Originally Posted by nipsta View Post
    wow heaps of chioces so far im stillno sure opn which way to go but i wil keep researching
    What is your budget. If you are looking mid range then a few are already out of the equation due to price. Also look at retrieve rate as some mentioned are not really HSS reels so that knocks a couple more out. What do you want the reel to weigh and what rod are you putting it on.