Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: High Speed Spinning Reel

Re: High Speed Spinning Reel

Quote Originally Posted by deepfried View Post
    What is your budget. If you are looking mid range then a few are already out of the equation due to price. Also look at retrieve rate as some mentioned are not really HSS reels so that knocks a couple more out. What do you want the reel to weigh and what rod are you putting it on.

I got budget of around 150 to 200 hundred at the max and high speed is a must due to making the retrive easy

I love my Saltist 6500 for spinning off the rocks and breakwalls. Can't fault it and I think reasonable value for the price, $300.

Quote Originally Posted by nipsta View Post
    I got budget of around 150 to 200 hundred at the max and high speed is a must due to making the retrive easy
    Mo Tackle have the Penn 950SSM High speed Reel for around $149.

I have been using mine for the last 12 months and can't fault it one bit....
    Fillet and Release Squad

Penn Slammer 760 also worth considering

Quote Originally Posted by levinge View Post
    Mo Tackle have the Penn 950SSM High speed Reel for around $149.

I have been using mine for the last 12 months and can't fault it one bit....
    Top reel for the money but comes in at around a kilo in weight. Its a much heavier reel than than the Tss4 by about 50% and nowhere near the retrieve rate.

That is a cheap price though and if thats is all that you can afford why not i guess if its used for mainly for tailor when a cracking retrieve is not really needed. maybe look at one of the smaller models that arent as heavy. A 1kg reel gets tiring very fast.

Quote Originally Posted by deepfried View Post
    Top reel for the money but comes in at around a kilo in weight. Its a much heavier reel than than the Tss4 by about 50% and nowhere near the retrieve rate.

That is a cheap price though and if thats is all that you can afford why not i guess if its used for mainly for tailor when a cracking retrieve is not really needed. maybe look at one of the smaller models that arent as heavy. A 1kg reel gets tiring very fast.
    I have mine pair with a 15kg Wilson Live Fibre Texalium rod, I generally use it for everything from GT's, Spaniards, to bottom fishing the reef (deep water). Its good to have a quick retrieve when dealing with noah's and getting baits back down when the bite is on..

ALos have the 850SSM as a backup.

I could've gone more expensive, but pound for pound the Penn's are a very good reel, easily serviced and tonnes of drag available..
    Fillet and Release Squad

Quote Originally Posted by levinge View Post
    I have mine pair with a 15kg Wilson Live Fibre Texalium rod, I generally use it for everything from GT's, Spaniards, to bottom fishing the reef (deep water). Its good to have a quick retrieve when dealing with noah's and getting baits back down when the bite is on..

ALos have the 850SSM as a backup.

I could've gone more expensive, but pound for pound the Penn's are a very good reel, easily serviced and tonnes of drag available..
    Nice setup for the targets. I used my 750ssm bottom bashing as well and prefer it to using over heads. Like wise i have also used it spinning outside. I know a lot of people use them spinning of the beaches and rocks but i like other reels for that situation.

Nipsta,
    Possibly look at the Daiwa Emcast Sport as another cheap possibity. I used to have one and it did the job. Ratio isnt lightling but it makes up for it with a bigger spool and the big spool helps with casting distance. Wouldnt last as long as a penn though which is about the same price.

My choice would be between a saragosa 6000 or Twinpower 6000. The twin power has a higher retreive rate, though the saragosa is a cheaper reel. I went with the Saragosa and have no trouble spinning up mackeral, tuna or any other pelagic.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott nthQld View Post
    My choice would be between a saragosa 6000 or Twinpower 6000. The twin power has a higher retreive rate, though the saragosa is a cheaper reel. I went with the Saragosa and have no trouble spinning up mackeral, tuna or any other pelagic.
    Scott, I think the Saragosa and Twin Power are way out of his budget.

There aren't too many good quality high speed reels for the $150-$200 range, that will be versatile enough.

My advice, while your saving up for a Saragosa, Stella or a Twin Power, I suggest giving the Penn 850SSM or 950SSM a go. It will last you for years and save you money on replacements, and when your ready to replace, you'll have saved enough money for the ones mentioned...
    Fillet and Release Squad

for your budget and to be used in the surf you couldnt go past an Okuma Epix EFS 60 or 80........
    bout $170 online. 6.3:1 ratio and you get a free spool as well so you can run different weight lines or mono and braid.

Very smooth reel ( i'm sure that will change with a bit of sand in it!) but has a lifetime warranty.

I wouldnt take anything much expensive surfcasting anyway

Hi Nipsta,

i have a tss4 used about 3 times with line on it, i will sell if you wish.

i can also sell you the rod to go with it, used same amount of times.

i am moving and need the room / money.

Thanks
    Joe

shimano stradic 6000fi or 8000fi going for $200 on ebay from american delivered to ur door brand new aswell.
    Why is it everytime i walk away from my rod it gets smashed

daiwa exceler oceano around 180 from mo. good value for money very quick retrieve. good line capacity. great quality. my 2cents

Quantum cabo, spheros or if you can spend a bit more twinpower HG 8000 look for the old model twinpower should get one delivered for under $500. The daiwa emblem casts great quick retrieve but for a beach reel it just lets in too much sand and spray imo

How did you go with this purchase Nipsta? I was in the same boat looking to retire the TSS4 and finding a suitably priced replacement. I ended up ordering a Daiwa Saltist from a US online tackle store with a mate who has bought a heap of other stuff in the same purchase. Price works out to just over au$200 on the back of the strength of the aussie dollar at them moment and delivery shared between myself and my mate is only about another $10. About a $100 cheaper than anywhere I could find it in oz and still $70 cheaper than Mo.

Now I need to look at some rods to match.

Kev