Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jigging Rod and Reel

Question Jigging Rod and Reel

Hi All
    Tried Jigging for the first time a weekend or two ago and think i am addicted.

Just want to see what you would recommend as a good outfit for jigging. I know alot of people use overheads while others use spin reels.

I am looking at two outfits for myself and hubby--$$$ middle of the range I will say. Nothing that I need to take out a loan to buy but something that will last the distance-- well at least for a few years anyway.

Don't know whether this will change your recommendations but I'm only little and prefer something not too heavy for myself.

Ronnie

Re: Jigging Rod and Reel

I've been jigging with basic gear for a while now......... 10 - 15 kg Ugly stick rod with one of my TLD 15's, and it is really hard work with basic gear. And jigging is brutal on the reel. The reel now has a flogged out shaft bushing in the cover, and I had to file back the edges of the handle to smooth it off to stop getting blisters. The rod handles jigs up to 200 gram, but it is really hard work. The reel also doesn't really have a fast enough retrieve ratio for speed jigging, but is fine for retrieve / drop / pause style jigging.

I looked at mid range gear as well, and I have to say that I really didn't think it was going to be worth spending the money on half good gear, compared to what I am already using.

Instead I decided to wait till I can afford it, and to buy a Shimano Blue Rose jigging rod, and put a Stella 8000 SW reel on it - but that would be in excess of $1600 for the combo, so its on hold for quite a while.

cheers

Mick

G'day Ronnie,

A couple of outfits that may go the distance for you.

I picked up a Ryobi Safari 5000A for a tad under 300 including 50lb jigging braid before xmas from my local tackle shop. Have married it to a 6'6" penn spinfisher graphite 15kg jigging rod. Nicely balanced, the outfit isn't too heavy and it works well. The safari has heaps of drag and it is a high speed retrieve. you'd get out of it for somewhere around $450 tops which is pretty good for a dedicated jigging outfit.

Another option would be to look at an 850 spinfisher combo, although at 24kg, the rod could be a bit too stiff unless you're really getting onto big fish.

In terms of overhead jig rod/reel combo's you're talking something like the penn torque @ around $475 plus braid approx $80-$130 depending on what brand and breaking strain (although you could spend more) plus something like a penn torque international 30 rod for around $200. As you can see in begins to add up.

Shimano TLD/Tyrnos don't have the retrieve you'd need - the Trinidads are a lovely reel but quite exy - not sure about the torium, but I have a mate who uses one and is very happy with it. The diawa saltiga 30 O/H would be another option - excellent drag capacity - 6ish:1 retrieve from memory and with the right rod it would make a well balance outfit for jigging.

Got to go for now but will check back on this thread later if you want to yarn some more.

Cheers
    Rhys
    ><((((º>.¸.•'´¯)

Life is a mystery to be lived, not a problem to be solved, Gabriel Marcel

Saragosa(Or spheros(bit cheaper)) + Starlo Duo Jig Stick perhaps?

Mick

I have a jigwrex 526 spin stick that i am willing to part with and its going pretty cheap Normally RRP was around $450 but its under 50% of that.

Send me a PM if you want as i don't use the rod anymore and is good for jigs 200-400g

Cheers

Lee

The Jigrex 526S with a Saragosa 18000 is a top combo, match it with 60-70 braid and its a good jigging allrounder for Reefies and Ambos, it gets the most out of 200-300gm jigs .

Hi Ronnie,
    My slightly built wife uses a T curve 200 matched to the Saltiga blast model reel. It is light and has good power when required. If you choose to spend a little less then opt for a spheros by shimano, they are tough enough for average work with out breaking the bank.
    Regards to all Dick

There is an upgraded Spheros in the for sale section at the moment.
    Has the upgraded handle, drag and bearings. A good buy.
    I would have taken it, but I ordered a Saragosa a week ago...
    Cheers and thanks.

"Tackle Whore on a budget..."
    Gonzo II – Brooker 4.5m 40hp Yam & Outlaw Kayak
    Fish Well, Fish Egrell

http://www.ecofishersqld.org.au

Hi all

Well so far you have given me alot to look at and think about. So far I have checked out Saragosa/spheros reels. Priced well, how durable are they and have you guys had any problems with them.???

I want to keep these outfits at reasonable price level and not go to extremes for something that may not get used quite as often as the other gear i have.

Keep the suggestions rolling and do you guys use multi colored braid for jigging?

Cheers
    Ronnie

The Saragosa is a 'new age' version of the Upgraded Spheros, it has double the drag washes, 2 extra bearings, a HD handle and Paladin gears.
    I had a Spheros which did the job medium jigging, but was always hesitant with it, I replaced it with a Saragosa which still has a place with the HD Stellas for Jigging and Popping. I gave the Saragosa a good workout in its first year and it's still in top nick.

I don't have multi coloured braid, and it is a total pain not having it.........

When i change braid it will definitely have measured colours

cheers

Mick

Quote Originally Posted by trueblue View Post
    I don't have multi coloured braid, and it is a total pain not having it.........

When i change braid it will definitely have measured colours

cheers

Mick
    Thanks Mick-- What brand, strength etc would you be looking at.

Ronnie

Yep, go the multi coloured jigging braid. For me 24kg is the go, and Rovex is a reasonably priced option (its actually sufix matrix pro but badge engineered)

cheers

Rhys
    ><((((º>.¸.•'´¯)

Life is a mystery to be lived, not a problem to be solved, Gabriel Marcel

Rods; Daiwa monster mesh,Shimano t curve deep jig,Shimano jigwrex
    Reels;Ryobi Safair 5000{awesome} ,Saragossa
    Ulitmate rods;Zenaq,Smith nari or fremantle,Ripple fisher,Patriot{yum}Jigmaster
    Ultimate reelsaiwa expedition or dogfight,Shimano Stella or torsa,Accurate,Tiburon auto 2 speed.
    I have tried most out and love them all. [Patriot next on my list]
    Graham

Quote Originally Posted by grave41 View Post
    Rods; Daiwa monster mesh,Shimano t curve deep jig,Shimano jigwrex
    Reels;Ryobi Safair 5000{awesome} ,Saragossa
    Ulitmate rods;Zenaq,Smith nari or fremantle,Ripple fisher,Patriot{yum}Jigmaster
    Ultimate reelsaiwa expedition or dogfight,Shimano Stella or torsa,Accurate,Tiburon auto 2 speed.
    I have tried most out and love them all. [Patriot next on my list]
    Graham

Hi Graham
    You have opted to suggest some pretty upmarket gear there.

I am not looking at top shelf-- Just good quality gear that will go the distance without breaking the bank.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. it was good to read through and take in all you had to say about the different rods and reels available.

After considerable thought and advice I have made my decision on the two outfits I will be purchasing.

Thanks for all your great suggestions

Ronnie