Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: TLD 15 or Charter Special?

Re: TLD 15 or Charter Special?

buy a TLD 15, and a charter special, and have 2 very good and interchangeable reels.................... problem solved

definitely don't need to go bigger for what you said you want to do with it

cheers

Mick

$165 for a service????????......Geeezus....I am out of work at the moment.....if anyone wants their reels serviced (TLD'S) send em to me - for that money one reel service a day will keep me a very happy chappy...and the easiest money made in a long time, two a day and i am on easy street.

Greg

Quote Originally Posted by sleepygreg View Post
    $165 for a service????????......Geeezus....I am out of work at the moment.....if anyone wants their reels serviced (TLD'S) send em to me - for that money one reel service a day will keep me a very happy chappy...and the easiest money made in a long time, two a day and i am on easy street.

Greg

If you need an offsider i'm currently unemployed

cheers tim

Greg,

that 165.00 is for 3 years of servicing a reel at 55.00 per year, not just one service..

Turns out the spindle that passes through the spool had seized inside the bush. funny the reel was working pefectly up until half way through the fight..

Adam_G Hammed it up a fair bit though, trying to make the fish look bigger..

Regards
    Honda.

Quote Originally Posted by honda900 View Post
    Greg,
    Turns out the spindle that passes through the spool had seized inside the bush. funny the reel was working pefectly up until half way through the fight..

Regards
    Honda.
    That bush in the TLD's is prone to that problem. It actually would have had zero to do with the fish pulling drag - could have siezed up just winding up an empty hook.

All that is necessary to stop this happening is to pull the handle off, and put a drop of good quality oil onto the shaft, and then turn the shaft a few times to get the oil inside. Should oil this bush about 4 times a year - takes about 90 seconds, and the little bottle of oil that you get from shimano will last years at one drop 4 times per year.

cheers

Mick

Ausfish Platinum Member whiteman's Avatar

Don't waste your money by getting someone else to service these reels. It is so simple. See Alan Tani's nsite for the best directions ... http://alantani.com/index.php?board=9.0. I open all my reels straight out of the box. The Shimanos never have enough grease. Buy some blue grease (same as you use for wheel bearings) and quality reel oil. A phillips head screw driver is all you need for tools - if you want to change the drag washer the tool comes with the reel. A small paint brush is handy for getting the blue grease where it should go. You'll need about 20 minutes once you've done it once. And you'll know what to look for if it jams when you are on the water and need to do some repairs.
    Always set the drag to its highest setting before washing to seal the drag washer.

Yes Murf - agree TLD 15 is lighter than the 25 and yes I've never been spooled by a mackerel yet- whilst trolling you can usually reverse down on larger fish very quickly if you need to - , but with all respect, through my experience ,put any 20 kg plus fish, be it spanish , woo, tuna or cobe on the end of a line then give me the tld25 over a 15 anyday. An overnite reef fishing trip in 90m plus of water with a TLD 15 wouldnt be much fun either , where as a 25 will handle it nicely. I have 1x tld5( not made anymore) , 2 x 15's , 4x25's , 3x30 2speeds and a 50 2speed. - They all serve their purpose in respective situations , that's why I persume Shimano make a range of TLD models . My personel all round favourite is however the 25 . I have my TLD 5 for fishin for tadpoles and a 50 for larger fish, I suppose at the end of the day as they say "size does matter"
    I have had mates have problems with bearings on the more recent models of the 2 speed series reels in particular, but I'd probably put that down to, hosing the reel whilst in free spool ( a" reel" killer) and so to is infrequent use. Of my all my TLD's, I have never ever needed to strip one of them down, most of them I have had since the late / early 90s . I still have an original TTS 30 from the early 80's(before the BeastMaster series) - never had to open it up either - the drag is still a good as the day I bought it, handle spins freely. Do'nt over fish them with significantly larger line classes than they are designed for , keep water/ salt spray out of them, and spin them regularly and all will be good for a long time.I believe all TLD's are pretty good value for money.
    Keep Ya Tip UP
    Beast