Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: deepwater jumpinpin flathead

Re: deepwater jumpinpin flathead

message deleted

It looks to me that some of you might as well use SAND ANCHORS as jigheads down the Pin, and it is no wonder the success rate is low.

If that works for you, well done and keep going at it. I known what I use (light Jigheads) catches fish regularly and in the sand banks I target there is no shortage of fish.

In fact I catch all my fish at the first sand bank I find on leaving the boat ramp sometimes less than 1 km from the ramp.

Each to their own and best of luck guys

Ausfish Platinum Member gr hilly's Avatar
    Blog Entries

well fellas you are all fishing in the rite areas of the pin (ALMOST)but the live poddy mullet is by far the bait that turns on female flathead like flies to a dead roo and its cheaper, free bait .an old fella took me there in 1969 and i became addicted to fishing the pin and surrounds good luck keep on going mate you will nail one
    tight lines hilly

Quote Originally Posted by breambandit View Post
    It looks to me that some of you might as well use SAND ANCHORS as jigheads down the Pin, and it is no wonder the success rate is low.

If that works for you, well done and keep going at it. I known what I use (light Jigheads) catches fish regularly and in the sand banks I target there is no shortage of fish.

In fact I catch all my fish at the first sand bank I find on leaving the boat ramp sometimes less than 1 km from the ramp.

Each to their own and best of luck guys
    What are you talking about champ, my sucess rate isnt low down the pin for big flatties,and neither is creek vermins, just because you have a narrow view on how to catch flathead, doesnt mean that its the only way to catch them. if you go back to the original question its about deep water flathead and im sure that you wont get down in the deep water with your 1/16th jighead, maybe you should just hang out down jacobs well boat ramp and leave the fishing to the serious guys

...of all the liars among mankind, the fisherman is the most trustworthy. ~William Sherwood Fox.

Quote Originally Posted by bennykenny View Post
    What are you talking about champ, my sucess rate isnt low down the pin for big flatties,and neither is creek vermins, just because you have a narrow view on how to catch flathead, doesnt mean that its the only way to catch them. if you go back to the original question its about deep water flathead and im sure that you wont get down in the deep water with your 1/16th jighead, maybe you should just hang out down jacobs well boat ramp and leave the fishing to the serious guys
    BennyKenny

No one is personaly questioning you on your mates ability to catch large fish down the pin including your success rate. I am sure you are quite successful and know what you are doing down the Pin and I respect that.

Seriola Ilandi simply asked if 1 oz or 20.76 grams of weight was adequate while drifting in deep water down the Pin, and in MY OPINION I feel it is excessive.

It is a forum and everyone is entitled to their opinion. There is simply no need for you to became so upset and defensive with your replies and take pot shots at other people.

Mud slinging is not what I am about or wish to entertain on a fishing forum. I simply wish to share my knowledge, experience and opinion with using SP and Hardbody lures in the estuary.

PS. Post some photos of recent large Flathead you caught using 1 oz jigheads so we all can learn and take notice.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by breambandit View Post
    BennyKenny

No one is personaly questioning you on your mates ability to catch large fish down the pin including your success rate. I am sure you are quite successful and know what you are doing down the Pin and I respect that.

Seriola Ilandi simply asked if 1 oz or 20.76 grams of weight was adequate while drifting in deep water down the Pin, and in MY OPINION I feel it is excessive.

Cheers
    Sorry. When you said the sucess rate was low for catching large flathead down the pin on 1oz jigheads in deep water, i thought you were talking about in general, now i see you were talking about your sucess rate.
    fishing down the pin in the deep water when the water is flowing isnt easy and you certainly wont get anywhere near the bottom with 1/4oz or less. but if it works for you go ahead. Im not trying to question your ability either but how do you get near the bottom with such light weights.

...of all the liars among mankind, the fisherman is the most trustworthy. ~William Sherwood Fox.

Thanks guys. deepwater with current is not the wrong area to catch big lizards. It is the right area.
    i have caught many flathead in the relative shallows and i still love it and i do aprecciate your comments breambandit with regard to this style of fishing. However, the big ones are in the deepwater fast flowing cool water possibly with a bit of structure around them. Ive seen it myself with my own eyes with scuba in the Northern Rivers, Gold Coast, caloundra mouth walls. Let me tell you - There are absolute monsters in the seaways and other deep areas. I'm talking lizards nearing 100cm and over and thats being conservative for refractive magnification of scuba mask. This is not to say you wont get the bigins in shallow water. But at this time of the year its about finding that cooler deep water if you maximise your chances of hooking up to a PB lizard. This is what i reckon anyway.

comments about staying above the lure and jigging them straight up and down and slowing down the rate of drift and look for deep areas that are a little less exposed to wind, plus just around the corner towards slipping sands were awesome. Legends! cant wait for august, sept and Nov.