Thread: Barra (a new experience)

Barra (a new experience)

Hi All

So - with all this rain falling ( Bundaberg received 25% of its monthly average over the last 24 hours) - & a forecast of more rain over the next week . What will it be like fishing a rising lake Monduran.
    This is a new experience for me ........ so what can we expect

I would assume that water temps will fall - will the fish shut down ?
    Will the fish move into the newly flooded bays ?
    Water colouration - Do we look for discoloured water , clearer water , transition lines ?
    Since the rain will continue to fall into the weekend - are there potential locations where we could see a run - off type of situation ( like Barraboss's report from yesterday)
    Do we need to wait for the water to settle down ?

Am I getting ahead of myself

I know a few here fished the rapid rise a couple years back & I can recall stories of the trollers blitzing them in the main basin.

What are your thoughts

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Re: Barra (a new experience)

not to sure what to expect chris, but i may head up this weekend and have a look , wanna come...
    God put me on earth to accomplish
    a certain number of things,
    right now i am so far behind
    i will never die.

will be fine by the weekend Chris Trust me would i lie

Quote Originally Posted by DEANO68 View Post
    not to sure what to expect chris, but i may head up this weekend and have a look , wanna come...
    Yeh .... OK - I'll go
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

i think, it was after the the last rise ( 18 to 30 sumthin %).. that south B points, came of age.???? correct me if im wrong...mabe the local lads will have something to add to this...
    God put me on earth to accomplish
    a certain number of things,
    right now i am so far behind
    i will never die.

Chris,

Kyle & I have had two mixed experiences at Monduran with rising water levels.

In Feb 2008 we fished Mondy two weeks after it had risen 5m! South B was hopeless (& stinky) due to decomposing grass, weed was non-existent all over the dam and water quality was very poor.

A week earlier everyone was catching fish on the newly flooded flats but, by the time we got there, very few fish were being caught anywhere and we could not raise a single strike in 3.5 days on the water....

The next time was just two weeks ago when Mondy had risen a 1m during the week before our arrival. Weeds were flourishing with the new inflow, water quality was excellent and many spots that were out of the water in December were fishable again.

While I couldn't raise a scale, Kyle generated a lot of interest twitching hardbodies on newly submerged banks and points and on a particular laydown we had marked during the ABT. A week before and a week later Brian got three fish on both trips....

Don't know if any of this helps.....

Regs

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Peter4 View Post
    Chris,

Kyle & I have had two mixed experiences at Monduran with rising water levels.

In Feb 2008 we fished Mondy two weeks after it had risen 5m! South B was hopeless (& stinky) due to decomposing grass, weed was non-existent all over the dam and water quality was very poor.

A week earlier everyone was catching fish on the newly flooded flats but, by the time we got there, very few fish were being caught anywhere and we could not raise a single strike in 3.5 days on the water....

The next time was just two weeks ago when Mondy had risen a 1m during the week before our arrival. Weeds were flourishing with the new inflow, water quality was excellent and many spots that were out of the water in December were fishable again.

While I couldn't raise a scale, Kyle generated a lot of interest twitching hardbodies on newly submerged banks and points and on a particular laydown we had marked during the ABT. A week before and a week later Brian got three fish on both trips....

Don't know if any of this helps.....

Regs

Pete

Thanks Pete - good stuff

I know that once the grass starts to decompose & the water quality decreases - fishing becomes tough
    In some ways the recent drop / rise & drop will limit the amount of dying vegetation ....... unless it rises by 2 meters +
    So we could be in for happy times for the next couple of weeks - then possibly a dead period ( I've fished Awoonga after a rise ..... around 3 weeks & did well - but it then apparently dropped off appreciably .

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

No worries Chris. I agree with your comments.

I should point out that 2008 had a cold winter (and resultant small fish kill at Monduran) but then the weed growth was spectacular for the spring and summer. All through 2009 the water level dropped slowly, the winter was warm, weed continued to grow and the fishing was good (as you know)...

Recently (late 2009) water levels started dropping very quickly and most of the weed died off but the recent small rises have encouraged some weed re-growth and have not affected water quality unduly. Water was crystal clear two or three weeks ago...

Not sure how it will fish this weekend but at least the water will be a little cooler and levels will be up just a bit....

Regs

Pete

Has to rise 2 feet just to be where it was a week ago when they were pumping.

One thing Chriso you will save on fuel, I fished it on the big rise a couple back and all the action was close.... None of us trolled though

We have had at least 3 inches here today, and its still pi$$ing down. Supposed to stop late tommorrow.

I am going up tommorrow arvo for a look, cast and troll.

I think it will be good effect, rain and water wise, but the cool southerly wind that is gusting to about 20knots at times, is probably going to be the down side.

Let you know how I go.
    CHeers Steve

The positive point is more water in the impoundments, From Tinaroo, Faust, Teemburra, Eugella and pumping into Kinchant.

All this inflow is helpful to the farmers and a added bonus to the impoundment stocking and fishing.

Change in conditions are always a challenge. The last big influx meant that after a few weeks of the inflow, South B was a no go zone for a couple of weeks, rotting vegetation (smell phosphorus) no bait life. Initially fish and bait over the flooded ground and then the breakdown occurs. The trick is to be there with initial flooding. Adapt and change.

Been to the odd impoundment at different flood times, Faust from 12% to big influx about 5 years ago was deepwater and the edges of the main basin. Mondy couple years ago was the edges of the main channel in the clearer/deeper water and drop offs. See Tinaroo is firing with the inflow at the moment. All opportunities.

But the big plus is the inflow for all users (Irrigator/Landholders/Stockers/Fisherfolks of the system. Believe that some landholders are starting to get upset with junk/campers, fire and removal of timber on their land. Without permission it is illegal.

A bit of thought and consideration, same as we are asking of other water users when fishing.

Bit like the inflow in the territory, just what they hangout for each year.

Enjoy the weekend and only a few weeks to go for us.

Trev
    Fish for the future, enjoy the present but think of your children.

Plenty camping on the dam banks lately, I saw the "Taj Mahal" of camping set ups last week, they would have needed a barge to get the gear there.

Quote Originally Posted by BR65 View Post
    Has to rise 2 feet just to be where it was a week ago when they were pumping.

Ha, well thats redundant!!!
    2 meter rise to date, should be fun.
    It will still only be covering grass though.

Parts of the Pioneer Valley received upwards of 400 mm of rain and Kinchant dam has risen 36% in the past 8 days and IF the rain holds off, I will be heading there in an hour, or so. If the rain holds off?? My good lady is the deckie...'Nuff said.

Cheers, Bobj.