Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: 12v LEDs for under gunnel lighting

Re: 12v LEDs for under gunnel lighting

red i've just ordered 8 sets

Quote Originally Posted by deckie View Post
    smelly lights ?

Hey what do people think is the best low level colour as a background light when fishing ? under gunnel.
    Was thinking of doing the whole thing in white led's but i'd need to swtich it off when fishing to see better without the glare.

Thinking a seperate swtich for a kind of "marine brothel" look in red might be the go ( not that i;d know what that looks l8ike of course)...anyone been on a rig using a colour other than as a fish attracting thing ?..in which case how was the night vision ?
    either red or blue light will do. both are good lights to see under.

I just used plan old white. Might need to get some blue ones.

I heard there is a red light district in Holland. So a boat with red light will mean the same .

Just a thought... could using red lights put one at risk from the various enforcement authorities if it was visible from outside the hull?

(I agree red is best for maintaining night vision though).
    | Savage Kestral with Evinrude 9.9 --> Stacer 3.9 with Yamaha 15 --> Polycraft 4.55 CC with Honda 50 --> Ally Craft Reel Mate 4.25 with Yamaha 3 cylinder 30 horse --> Hmmm what next? |

red or blue is good for night vision. neither is better than the other. probably just a preference thing.

not sure why law enforcement wold be concerned?

Quote Originally Posted by timddo View Post
    I just used plan old white. Might need to get some blue ones.

I heard there is a red light district in Holland. So a boat with red light will mean the same .

I'll have to take the mrs out fishing at night, i'll let you know if your theory is right

Quote Originally Posted by Razgo- View Post
    not sure why law enforcement wold be concerned?
    They gave me a warning a couple of years back for using a red LED torch (from my other hobby of astronomy), I was wondering if I'd get a similar warning (or worse) for red LED lights mounted to the boat.

Their 'reasoning' was that my red torch could be confused for a nav light...
    | Savage Kestral with Evinrude 9.9 --> Stacer 3.9 with Yamaha 15 --> Polycraft 4.55 CC with Honda 50 --> Ally Craft Reel Mate 4.25 with Yamaha 3 cylinder 30 horse --> Hmmm what next? |

I can understand a torch, but led strips mounted under the gunnels would put most of the light into the boat.

IMO, nav lights & white light would not be particularly affected. If the leds were that powerful, it would simply make your boat more visible.

Luc

Are you hoping to attract some Long Toms or maybe some catfish?

You might also get a few grinners.

Quote Originally Posted by charleville View Post
    Are you hoping to attract some Long Toms or maybe some catfish?

You might also get a few grinners.

Now NOw . I am just looking for some white pointers . I beleive they pull harder and have plenty of energy under the red led lights. . They also tend to bit pretty hard too.

I suppose that if you take your boat north, you might get a few grunters as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Jabiru658 View Post
    They gave me a warning a couple of years back for using a red LED torch (from my other hobby of astronomy), I was wondering if I'd get a similar warning (or worse) for red LED lights mounted to the boat.

Their 'reasoning' was that my red torch could be confused for a nav light...
    good to know. will have to be aware of that then.

I was considering buying some of these but with all the conjecture over white, blue, red and whatever other colours I reckon I would be better off with the Dolphin torch option.

What is wrong with having white ones...has to be far better for rigging up etc.

Quote Originally Posted by PinHead View Post
    I was considering buying some of these but with all the conjecture over white, blue, red and whatever other colours I reckon I would be better off with the Dolphin torch option.

What is wrong with having white ones...has to be far better for rigging up etc.
    go the white, i have 5 white strings on the boat and the glare is minium. I only have green underneath the boat. The white is superbright. the only downfall of these led lights is every man and his do will know ur spot X at nite.

Blue and red are romatics colours. You wouldn't want to turn ur deckie on will ya Pinhead. .

go the white, i have 5 white strings on the boat and the glare is minium. I only have green underneath the boat. The white is superbright. the only downfall of these led lights is every man and his do will know ur spot X at nite.

Blue and red are romatics colours. You wouldn't want to turn ur deckie on will ya Pinhead. .
    Thanks for that..no worries with others seeing where I am..no such thing as a spot X.

Turn the dekcie on? get serious..been married to her for nearly 30 years.